SWAP MEET 2017 OFFICIAL INFORMATION THREAD

Started by Zelyhon, February 02, 2017, 11:24:08 PM

Zelyhon

Hello to all, both Swap Meet regulars and new people looking for information on the event!  I hope everyone's had a good year since last FanimeCon and has restocked on a lot of things that they're looking to sell to their fellow fans!  This is Ben Levy, your returning Swap Meet head for FanimeCon 2017.  As in years past, I'll be using this thread to try and keep everyone up-to-date on the latest happenings of Swap Meet.

-Swap Meet registration opens at 12:00 noon PST on May 5.  Please use the following link to register:
https://apps.fanime.com/2017/swapmeet/

-Swap Meet Registration will cost $40 per space per day.

-Swap Meet spaces will be a 14' by 6' space of floor.  While chairs may be used for sitting, you may not use tables, racks, displays, or other furniture like that for your merchandise.

-Swap Meet 2017 will once again be held in SOUTH HALL, the big tent-like building behind the convention center.  Go out the East side of the convention center (the Marriott side) and take a right.  It's very hard to miss.

-Swap Meet 2017 will be held on Thursday, May 25 from 7:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and on Friday, May 26 from 8:00 p.m.to 1:00 a.m. (times potentially subject to some modification)

-Check-in for Sellers will begin about an hour and a half to two hours before doors open to the public.

-As we are in South Hall again this year, that means we must once again say that amplified sound will not be allowed in Swap Meet.  This is the trade-off we have to make for a larger area.  I know some people don't necessarily like the lack of music, but I think that the bigger space more than makes up for it, personally.

-The Swap Meet Seller's Agreement has been approved, and is substantially similar to previous years.  Standard rules like no bootlegs, no metal weapons, only one longbox of adult material allowed per space (which must be covered, labeled, and out of reach when not being reviewed), and the like.  As always, Swap Meet Staff will have final say on whether something violates the rules.

-All sellers at Swap Meet must fill out both the Seller's Application form and sign the Rules and Guidelines.  Please have these ready to go prior to arriving at the convention.

-Seller's Permits tend to generate questions every year, so here's some general info.  Please read over the Seller Application form for more information.  Short version is if you qualify as an "occasional seller," then you should need to fill out the Seller Application Form and mark yourself as an occasional seller.  Occasional sellers are basically people who sell no more than twice in a 12 month period, don't buy things specifically for resale, and are not selling new merchandise.  Those last two requirements are prohibited by Swap Meet rules anyways.  Be sure to look over the information and find out if you qualify as an occasional seller.  Just remember, Swap Meet staff is not your attorney, and thus cannot answer legal questions about whether your specific situation qualifies as an occasional seller.  If you think you might not qualify as an occasional seller, please follow the link on the form to get more information.  If you know you don't qualify as an occasional seller, please be sure to have a copy of your valid seller's permit for staff to look at when you check in.

I think that's most of the information I have for the moment.  If you have further questions, comments, or the like, please post them below or message me on the forums.  I'll keep up with this thread and update when I can, as well as following up on posts further down the thread.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Ecchi ja Nai

Woo! Swap Meet '17! I can't wait!

Thanks once again, Ben, not only for all the work that will go into planning swap meet this year but for all the effort you've put into Meets past that have made this a reoccurring success!  Looking forward to it again this year.

And the official tread even managed to beat any other When?-posts from impatient attendees (aka: this guy)!

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Zelyhon on February 02, 2017, 11:24:08 PM
-The final floor plan for Swap Meet is being finalized, but we should still have more than enough spots for everyone, based on last year's numbers.

Can there maybe be bigger spaces please?

Hachimitsu

!!!OMG!!! YES.. AN ANNOUCEMENT FOR SWAP MEET.. AND NOT ONE WHERE THEY HAD TO PUT IT AT THE LAST MINUTE OF THE WEEEK!!!!

sorry i kinda missed out on 2016 since i was promise for a wedding but ended up with delayed response at a later date...
anyway YEAY... WE NEED bigger space but I hope the price isn't too high T_T!.....I got alot of stuff i wanna get rid of and alot of stuff i wanna buy!!!!

abcbadcat

I remember two years ago we weren't able to bring it wheeled carts, will that still be the case?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: abcbadcat on February 09, 2017, 09:59:26 AM
I remember two years ago we weren't able to bring it wheeled carts, will that still be the case?

hey wait a second.. I remember two years ago people DID bring wheel like carts into the set!.. and  it's only allowed as long as it doesnt block traffic to those who walk in....!!!!

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 09, 2017, 02:56:33 PM

hey wait a second.. I remember two years ago people DID bring wheel like carts into the set!.. and  it's only allowed as long as it doesnt block traffic to those who walk in....!!!!

I'm sure Zelyhon will post all the official rules (soon?) but from my experience with swap meet, hand trucks, dollies and the like are not permitted INSIDE South Hall or any other Fanime venue. 

BUT the sidewalk leading to South Hall is a public throughway.  It shouldn't be a problem using carts to transport your stuff up to the doors, but once you're checked in you're supposed to bring everything in by hand.  I kept trying to find clever ways to transport stuff on wheeled luggage, lots of rope and straps.  Anything to technically not violate the union rules that are the root of all these concerns.  But after hearing that all that stuff is fine until you hit the threshold, heck, I'm going for a furniture dolly to push all my used manga right up to the doors.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on February 10, 2017, 01:25:03 AM

I'm sure Zelyhon will post all the official rules (soon?) but from my experience with swap meet, hand trucks, dollies and the like are not permitted INSIDE South Hall or any other Fanime venue. 

BUT the sidewalk leading to South Hall is a public throughway.  It shouldn't be a problem using carts to transport your stuff up to the doors, but once you're checked in you're supposed to bring everything in by hand.  I kept trying to find clever ways to transport stuff on wheeled luggage, lots of rope and straps.  Anything to technically not violate the union rules that are the root of all these concerns.  But after hearing that all that stuff is fine until you hit the threshold, heck, I'm going for a furniture dolly to push all my used manga right up to the doors.
That's fundamentally correct.  Once inside South Hall and other Convention Center property, there's specific union rules that prohibit the use of such things as hand trucks or dollies or the like.  However, outside of South Hall is public property, without such restrictions.  You will be able to use them to transport things to the front of South Hall, but not inside it.

And I will have the official rules up once they pass through the final reviews that are taking place.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Fermata

Is a Fanime badge/admission required to sell at Swap Meet?

I'm buying a weekend badge for Fanime, but my friend will not be attending Fanime at all. However, both of us want to share a space and sell at Swap Meet. Is this possible?

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Fermata on March 07, 2017, 05:28:41 PM

I'm buying a weekend badge for Fanime, but my friend will not be attending Fanime at all. However, both of us want to share a space and sell at Swap Meet. Is this possible?

Sellers are allowed a helper, but I think they need to be registered too. Can't find a definite answer in previous years.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Fermata on March 07, 2017, 05:28:41 PM

A Fanime badge is required to sell at Swap Meet.  When registration goes up, we will need the badge information from both the primary seller and from their secondary seller, should they choose to have one.  People not listed on the form and who do not have a Fanime badge may not sell in Swap Meet.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Nekopon

Quote from: Zelyhon on March 06, 2017, 12:58:08 AM

That's fundamentally correct.  Once inside South Hall and other Convention Center property, there's specific union rules that prohibit the use of such things as hand trucks or dollies or the like.  However, outside of South Hall is public property, without such restrictions.  You will be able to use them to transport things to the front of South Hall, but not inside it.

And I will have the official rules up once they pass through the final reviews that are taking place.

I thought this was true until I saw literally 3 people in front of me go in with hand trucks. Are these not being enforced at the time or how can I report it?

Zelyhon

Quote from: Nekopon on March 16, 2017, 10:58:30 AM
Quote from: Zelyhon on March 06, 2017, 12:58:08 AM

I thought this was true until I saw literally 3 people in front of me go in with hand trucks. Are these not being enforced at the time or how can I report it?
We'll be trying to keep an eye on it during he convention.  However, if there are any problems that you notice with it, just flag me down.  I'll be the either near the front of the hall or wandering the floor during Swap Meet and Emory likely checking forms for check-in.  Speaking of...
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

The Swap Meet Seller's Agreement has been approved for FanimeCon 2017.  The rules are substantially the same as last year with only a few minor tweaks regarding asking for refunds.  I will update the first post with the relevant info, but here's the most pertinent details:

-Swap Meet will have 120 spaces available, which should be more than enough based on previous years.

-Swap Meet spaces will cost $40 per space per day, same as last year.

-Swap Meet spaces will be 14' x 6'

-Standard rules against standing displays, bootlegs, metal weapons, excessive uncovered adult materials, and so forth are the same as always.

-We don't yet have a date for registration to open, but more info will be forthcoming.

Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

ash

Ivycat

Can I use shrink wrap on my Josei manga if I don't want to put in a box? I mean like in plastic wrap that you use for food.

Anon

Less than a month to go... when is reg opening?

I know I say this every year, but this is legit going to be my last year of selling. I'm moving on in life and changing hobbies, and looking to unload pretty much my entire figure collection. I may need to rent a uhaul truck for it all, lol. But in order for that to happen, I need to sign up for a spot! Don't keep us in the dark here Ben, what's the good word?

Zelyhon

Quote from: Anon on May 01, 2017, 02:59:48 PM
Less than a month to go... when is reg opening?

I know I say this every year, but this is legit going to be my last year of selling. I'm moving on in life and changing hobbies, and looking to unload pretty much my entire figure collection. I may need to rent a uhaul truck for it all, lol. But in order for that to happen, I need to sign up for a spot! Don't keep us in the dark here Ben, what's the good word?

Keep your eyes on official Fanime communication channels (Twitter, Facebook, etc).  There should be information coming very soon.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for! 

SWAP MEET REGISTRATION WILL OPEN AT NOON PACIFIC TODAY!

Please use the following link to sign up:
https://apps.fanime.com/2017/swapmeet/

Please keep in mind that the initial rush surrounding registration will inevitably have some hiccups.  If you have problems, please e-mail them to [email protected] and remain patient.  There'll be an initial flood, but I will look over all of the various e-mails as we go forward.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff