FMV Competition 2017 - Winners posted!

Started by Gaki, March 01, 2017, 04:09:05 AM

Gaki

It's that time of year again! The Fanime AMV/FMV contest is open this year for entries!

The Basics:

AMVs must be at least 30 seconds, and no longer than 6 minutes.
Up to 3 entries per person/group; only 1 video per category allowed.
No bumpers, subtitles (unless made by you), watermarks, personal identifiers, titles, company logos or credits.
No AMV Hell-style videos allowed.
Videos that have been sent to prior Fanime AMV contests, altered or not, will not be accepted.
Video must have premiered after July 1, 2016
AMV must contain at least 70% anime, manga, or video game footage.
Must have a minimum resolution of 640x480 and a frame rate of 23.97 or 29.97.

Due April 21, 2017 at 11:59 P.M. PDT

Categories:
Action
Comedy
Drama
Trailer
Upbeat

Encoding
MP4s using H.264/AVC compression are preferred. However, we will also work with AVIs and MPEG2 files. Files larger than 400MB won't be downloaded, so PLEASE compress your work.

Awards
The awards are TBA at a later date.

Prizes will be sent to winners who are not in attendance following the con, but please try to make it to the awards ceremony! More details on that will be provided once we know more about our time slots over the course of Fanime 2017.

Disqualification Rules:
Videos containing portions of another editor's video will be disqualified and the submitter of said video will be permanently banned from all subsequent contests.
Participants who submit videos that are not their own will also be banned permanently.
Refusal to provide one's legal name will result in disqualification from the contest.

Judging & Use:
Videos will be prescreened and judged prior to the convention. The judges reserve the right to move a video to another category if they feel it would be a better fit.
Fanime reserves the right to use submitted AMVs during the convention and subsequent Fanime conventions, regardless of Finalist status.

Due Date:

Competing AMVs and their submission form are due by April 21, 2017 at 11:59 P.M. PDT.

Submission Form:
Please go to https://goo.gl/vOBfPz, fill out the form and provide a download link to your video. Streaming sites are not accepted (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo). We can download from a-m-v.org's local server, but remember, no intros/bumpers/watermarks/titles/credits/etc.
If you don't have all of your videos available at the same time, feel free to use the form multiple times. Please contact us if you need/want to replace an entry with a new one or need to give us an updated download link, however.

If you have any questions, email us at gaki.amv(at)gmail.com. Confirmation emails will be sent out from fmvcontestofficial(at)gmail.com.

Good luck to the entrants!
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Fanime FMV Contest Minion 2014
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2015
Fanime FMV Contest Minion Director 2016
Fanime FMV Contest Head 2017
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2018

Gaki

Just a heads up folks! The deadline on 21st is fast approaching! 5 days left as of today!

As for the prizes, they've yet to be completely finalized by the con itself, but we will be using the same set-up we did last year. $70 Amazon Gift Cards will be awarded to the winners of each respective category, and then a $100 Amazon Gift Card for the Best In Show as chosen by the audience and another $100 Gift Card for the Judge's Best In Show.

Best of luck to the entrants!
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Animator22

Are you currently short on entries for certain categories? I already submitted for Action but I think I can knock another one out.

Tsu

Hey Animator,

All categories are in need right now, but we can especially use entries in Comedy, Upbeat, and Trailer. If you think you can knock one out, by all means!
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Gaki

(Not) The Head of FMVs

Gaki

Okay, it's more like 18 hours, but seriously ladies and gentlemen(?), it's the last day to get your entries in! Please follow the instructions on the first post for proper instructions on how to submit your videos!

To the editors who haven't received an email yet regarding confirmation that we've received the videos, it will be sent out this weekend once the entry period has ended and the Google form for entry has been closed.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

WorldDominationStudios

If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to join whatever committee is in charge of making these rules.

Gaki

While I'm in-between renders of the show, let me give you guys some news!

-The time slot we've been allotted is set from 3-6PM in the Main Video and Industry rooms on Saturday the 27th.
-If you're an editor, even if you didn't make the finals, you'll be given priority seating. I'll instruct the folks volunteering at the front of each room to let you through, but keep in mind we need to pack everything as tightly as humanly possible.
-The awards will be handed out at Stage Zero at noon on Monday the 29th. If you win and you can't make it, I'll be mailing out the awards after confirming your address.

That being said, let's get onto the finalists eh?

ACTION
A-1 Rider4Z
A-2 Xophilarus
A-3 Shin
A-4 SeanPNG
A-5 Speedy180
A-6 MrNosec

DRAMA
D-1 Mysunsai
D-2 Rider4Z
D-3 MycathatesyouAMV
D-4 MegaMadTax
D-5 Celia Phantomhive
D-6 Nekokitkat

TRAILER

T-1 ProjectTwinsAMV
T-2 King Redeem
T-3 BecauseImBored1
T-4 MinetChan
T-5 Kireblue and SerenityAMV
T-6 Maboroshi Studio

UPBEAT
U-1 Tigrin
U-2 AntaresHeart07
U-3 King Redeem
U-4 MycathatesyouAMV
U-5 Celia Phantomhive
U-6 Shin

COMEDY
C-1 King Redeem
C-2 Kyci
C-3 Goober
C-4 Celia Phantomhive
C-5 Maboroshi Studio
C-6 drewaconclusion

As usual, we'll be showing a pre-show consisting of the judge's picks that just got edged out in the finals. Those will be posted following the show! Please let me know if there's any questions you guys have.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

mDuo13

I really liked the FMV Contest this year, but I didn't get a chance to see who won! Can anyone share?

By the way, for anyone else who's looking for the featured AMVs, I was able to find most but not all of them on Youtube, so I put together a playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxvDqf0FLdQ9L6ixkuHis5MXJFKmfCg-f

Not in the playlist (yet):
- A couple of the pre-show AMVs including the great Redline one
- Cherry Bomb (Kill la Kill); not posted on the creator's youtube channel yet
- 32 Degree Symphony (Yuri on Ice drama category, also not posted to the creator's youtube channel)

I didn't get to vote (went on Sunday to the encore since the Saturday showing clashed with panels) but if I had, I'd've voted like this (it was hard):

Best Action: Numinous (though honestly this is a really close one! I almost went with "Leave it to Fate")
Best Drama: Devoid (literally brought tears to my eyes, although this is also a really tough category and I wanted to pick "Delusions of Grandeur" at first)
Best Trailer: Yuri on Ice!!! The Honest Trailer (even though I want to hate it for the pandering, it's too witty. I did get a kick out of "Sailor Mars" flipping the Wonder Woman logo upside-down though.)
Best Upbeat: Pixel Perfect (another tough category, I can't even decide on which of three or so should be a runner-up)
Best Comedy: Twintails and Music Clubs (the editing won me over, although the YoI #selfie and Fujoshi AMVs were great too)

Best in Show: Devoid
I almost gave it to Numinous because the technical aspect of the editing were so impressive, but Devoid has such a perfect combination of story, editing, good music, good anime fit, and the unification of everything to make a greater whole picture.

Tsu

Hey mDuo13, thanks for tracking those down! It'll be a great help to all the folks who asked us after the show where they could watch the videos.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the finalists, too. It's cool to get a look into what the audience thought beyond the votes as pure numbers. A good amount of the audience agreed with how you felt about the videos, based on the winners.

Speaking of, here's the full list of finalists and winners (bolded) for Fanime's 2017 AMV Contest!

Action
Rider 4Z - Gloria Fortis Miles
Xophilarus - Eiderdown
Shin- Cherry Bomb
SeanPNG - Fight Back
Speedy180 - Leave it to Fate
MrNosec - Numinous

Drama
Mysunsai - Delusions of Grandeur
Rider4Z - 32 Degree Symphony
MycathatesyouAMV - Devoid
MegaMadTax - VIP
Celia Phantomhive - Ambition
Nekokitkat - Colors

Trailer
ProjectTwinsAMV - Titans Resurgence
King Redeem - Paranoia Things
BecauseImBored1 - Blades of Yuri
MinetChan - Sailor Mars
Kireblue & SerenityAMV - NerveGear Online
Maboroshi Studio - Yuri on Ice: The Honest Trailer

Upbeat
Tigrin - A Sporting Chance
AntaresHeart07 - DeCake
King Redeem - Pixel Perfect
MycathatesyouAMV - Money$hot
Celia Phantomhive - Mahoupocalypse
Shin - Weeaboo Peekaboo

Comedy
King Redeem - One Horn Man
Kyci - Twintails and Music Clubs
Goober - Livin' With my Bishies #Live
Celia Phantomhive - The Fujoshi Chronicle
Maboroshi Studio - When S#!t Happens
drewaconclusion - In Digestion

Audience Best In Show: Maboroshi Studio - Yuri on Ice: The Honest Trailer
Judges' Best In Show: MrNosec - Numinous
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Gaki

Also, as requested by members of the audience I talked to on the way out, here's the ballot for the final show: http://i.imgur.com/3oU7a9N.jpg Photo is courtesy of Tigrin, one of our finalists who attended the show!

And also have a panorama of Stage Zero from where I was standing during the Award Ceremony: http://i.imgur.com/zRoEDMy.jpg Um, please ignore the folks who are missing part of their heads. Panorama pictures are finicky things.

Big thanks again to all the editors who entered the show! We hope to see you guys again in 2018!
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Animator22

I'm just behind that pillar in your picture  :)

This was a good year and the ones that won were outstanding. Hypes me more to enter again for next year. Also to help here are YT links to the winners videos.

MrNosec - Numinous
https://youtu.be/aht9ZSwpMCk

Nekokitkat - Colors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffh3I6DSwW0

Maboroshi Studio - Yuri on Ice: The Honest Trailer
https://youtu.be/AWh0JXzZgwc

Celia Phantomhive - Mahoupocalypse
https://youtu.be/zrh-0j6RQc4

King Redeem - One Horn Man
https://youtu.be/FDNWjS2hCD8

Thanks again and see you next year!!

Abyss1