18 (29.5%)
5 to 10
27 (44.3%)
More than 10
3 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: May 26, 2005, 10:55:47 PM

otakuya

Quote from: "astroboy"Test your knowledge of Fanime Con!

Q1. How many divisions does Fanime have? (trick question)

Q2. The anime music video event is a part of what division?

Q3. How many divisions has the info desk been "transfered" to within the last 4 years?

Q4. What is the total number of staff and volunteers who help out Fanime Con for this year or any year? (another trick question)

Q5. In general the founders of Fanime were memebers of what college anime club?

Q6. What is Fanime con's motto?

Q7. What is Fanime Con's "parent" company.

Q8. What year was it that Fanime first experimented with a 4 day venue?

1) 4, I think. Live Programming, Video Programming, Human Resources, Dealers.

2) AMVs are a combination of Live and Video programming. Live, because they use the same theater as cosplay.

3) Maybe 2? I think it's Human Resources now, or it's own department.

4) The usual big-con attendant-to-staff ratio is around 50/1. If there was 8000 attendants at FC 2004, then there would be around 160 staffers. Just a guess.

5) Foothill College in Los Altos=Foothill Anime. Though other Bay Area clubs had a hand in the first Fanime.

6) "By fans, for fans"

7) Anime Resource Group. Popularly known as ARG, hence the pirates theme.

8 ) Fanime 2k was the first advertised 4-day event. The Thursday before the con is usually for advanced registering, but in 2000, it was considered an actual day. However, only 1 video room was open (it was showing trailers and 1st episodes).

astroboy

Quote from: "Otakuya"

Q3. How many divisions has the info desk been "transfered" to within the last 4 years?

3) Maybe 2? I think it's Human Resources now, or it's own department.
What!?!? You mean they moved it again? When I wrote that question the info desk had already been recycled thru

year
2001 - publications division
2002 - operations
2003 - marketing (that's when I was on board ^_^)
2004 - registration

I always like to joke with my buddies that info desk is the bastard step child department of Fanime.....right up there alongside with table top and console gaming.  *just joking*

But in all honesty it's not a bad dept. I met some really neat people there.  8)

frumpy

Quote from: "Otakuya"

1) 4, I think. Live Programming, Video Programming, Human Resources, Dealers.

In recent years, there were 8 divisions:

Video Programming
Live Programming
Dealers
Marketing
Guest Relations
Registrations
Con Ops
Facilities/Hotel

However, these divisions have been restructured and fallen into new categories this year...

2) AMVs are a combination of Live and Video programming. Live, because they use the same theater as cosplay.

AMVs were always under Video Programming regardless of a shared venue.

4) The usual big-con attendant-to-staff ratio is around 50/1. If there was 8000 attendants at FC 2004, then there would be around 160 staffers. Just a guess.

We had about 350-400 staffers for 2004. Video Programming had about 70 staffers alone....  :shock:  
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Haruka

Fanime '05 will be my eighth Fanime.  My first con experience was 1998 at Foothill College.  I went with my friend Claire and met up with SpazMegami there too, by coincedence.  I saw the latter episodes of Sailor Moon R for the first time and discovered new hatred of ChibiUsa.  
 It's because of Fanime that I learned to sew (for costumes) and it's how my friends and I get together every year from all over CA.
 Favorite Con experience: Fanime 2K.  It was four days of cosplaying, anime and mind altering insomnia.  I think I slept all of 25 hours in four days, plus CHAIR!  Yeah.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Jewbie

'04 was my first time going to FanimeCon...
and it was awesome! I am going to FanimeCon '05 no matter what! It was so great and i have never been to a ny anime convention before. Going gave me some good memories and I can't wait to get some more good memories...

Seiteki

man, I hate being new lol. '05 will be my first, and there's NO stopping me from going. 8)

I'm Akane for the Ranma 1/2 cosplay group FanimeCon 2K5

I'm also cosplaying as Chii on off days :D

Tuplica

'05 shall be my fourth con.  Gone every year since '02.  I'm looking forward to it... Though I still miss the old con center... XD
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

flammable_kitty

Yay I am new, it'll be my 3rd con, and I love it! Fanime is the best thing ever! I've cosplayed every year! My favorite parts were fending off fanboys with nunchucks (Selphie) and the man dressed up as a tentacal monster last year :)

G.I.R

I've been attending since '01, and evey year has been better than the last!  I kind of miss the old con center to, but at least there are more rooms available, more space, and lots of places to eat near by.   I wonder how many years it will be until Fanime takes up the entire convention center.  :?

Leviathan

Woohoo this'll be my 3rd year at Fanime. It's been great and it keeps getting better and better! Can't wait to see what's going on this year. Oh and it'll be my first time Cosplaying...YAY! :D

firegoddessnerys

This is my second year, my first time going for all four days, and my first time cosplaying. It's also a celebration of sorts for me cause I'll have graduated college (took me five years but I finally earned my bachelor's degree in english-creative writing being my focus) so I can't wait.

A Tale as Old as Time

Xi-Xi

I've been going to Fanime since 2001 (well, I couldn't go in 2003...).

2001: If anyone saw a half-Asian girl on Saturday going to Misao (Rurouni Kenshin), that was me...lol! I was only 12 back then!

2002: On Saturday I was Fatora (El Hazard), so if you saw a Fatora, it was me ^^

2004: On Friday, I was Aerith...YAY! Im on cosplay.com somewhere, I think. Late afternoon on I was what I like to call "Evil Battousai" (I sort of made it up...) from Rurouni Kenshin. Basically, I just bought a hakama set from the dealer's room. It was kind of coolies 'cause I already had the long hair...well, it was shorter but I still liked it! ^^
Sunday was the day I walked around as some random schoolgirl with loose socks and neko ears (not really cosplaying, just me fooling around) and then later I changed into a purple kimono (someone thought I was supposed to be Sumire from Sakura Taisen...surprisingly, I wasn't. I was just walking around.)
----

2005 will be my fourth year at Fanime. I'm gonna be Shia from Pitaten. As for any other characters? Hmmm, that's a bit TBA right now. I can't wait 'til FC05, this'll be the greatest year EVER! ^^
"JYUN BORAIDO~!!" - Kururu, Bottle Fairy

Spiritsnare

Second con. First was Fanime '04. And damn, that was fun. <3

Thou shall not disappoint us with Fanime '05. ;)
epic progressive

vox

Croquet

2005 will be my first year at Fanime. It shall be quite exciting, I'm sure. I've heard so much about it already, I feel like I've already gone! Though I'm sure all I've heard is only a mere taste of what the real con will be like. %^D
Let's play
some Croquet!

Spiritsnare

Oh, trust us...to quote, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Fanime is too...overwhelming to describe. :D
epic progressive

vox

Tenba

Hello!  Maybe I missed it under some other topic, but has there been a count of how many people were at Fanime 2005?

AMKestrel

Quote from: "G.I.R"I wonder how many years it will be until Fanime takes up the entire convention center.  :?
(posted March 6, 2005)

Wow, that didn't take long, did it?  :D (May 27th, 2005...fanime takes over the entire SJCC)

MindFlayer2

Q5. In general the founders of Fanime were memebers of what college anime club?

Q6. What is Fanime con's motto?

Q5. Fanime 1 -Chabot college (you never would have thought that eh?!)

Q6. It used to be by the fans, for the fans (this was in response to the break up of anime con into Anime America and anime Expo and all the ill will it caused, and the people that got hurt the most were the bay area fans)

astroboy

Quote from: "tenba"Hello!  Maybe I missed it under some other topic, but has there been a count of how many people were at Fanime 2005?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FanimeCon

also

http://www.anime-cons.com/events/info.shtml/623

8)

astroboy

Quote from: "tenba"...Fanime is growing very quickly, and things have been changing to accomodate the growth.  Things that happened "back in the day" might not be able to happen in the future.  It'd be nice to keep alive the memories of past Fanime and Fanime lore...
I guess different people remember different things. Strangely some of my most vivid memories were the major changes in how Fanime runs.

2001 - The concept of a 24 hour info desk is tested. It was not a success.

2002 -  Con-ops (headed by Jeanne) and the operations department make a big entry. A lot of staffers from Baycon come on board.

2003 - Online schedules is introduced by Tony, the webmaster, and "Gakufest" is invented by Lorrayne (the predecessor to "Musicfest")

2004 - A centralized HR (human resource) system is attempted, with failure.

2005 - A new hotel system for staffers is created. Basically the "old" days of stacking 10 bodies into a room and not knowing whether you had crash space until 24 hr before con time are over.

2006 - The HR system (remember that?) is finally implemented with success. Once again the hotel system changes. You can now sign up for your rooms through the website.

Speaking purely in terms of how well Fanime runs or how well it makes the attempt  :wink:  I think we've gotten a lot better. IMHO

To give an example:
When I first started if you wanted to become staff all you had to do was walk into the con on the first day and ask. Somebody would of thrown a staff badge with no name at you!

Now all staff must sign up through the website and there's a deadline. When you enter your info it gets stored in a centralized database which is made available to the relevant departments. These days as a staffer, when you walk into the con on the first day to pick up your badge, the nice person sitting behind the table at con-ops has all your info: name; contact info; emergency contacts; your division; ect...

quite an improvement huh?  8)