Why I didn't attend this year... and probably won't in the future

Started by WorldDominationStudios, May 29, 2017, 01:10:21 PM

WorldDominationStudios

This year's Fanimecon had two major shocks for me.

The first was a policy change regarding access points. In previous years, people who didn't buy a pass were only blocked from attending specific events. They were still free to roam the convention center's open spaces on both the upper and lower floors. This year, the entirety of the upper floor and a good chunk of the ground floor were off-limits except to pass-holders. This is a HUGE drag.

The second was the sharp increase in registration prices. The last time I attended Fanimecon, a 4-day pass was somewhere in the neighborhood of $60. This year, it was $85. Look, guys, this isn't Venezuela. We're not experiencing 50% annual inflation. This kind of price increase, in combination with the first policy change that I mentioned, is absolutely inexcusable, especially when Kublacon is still only $60.

It was fun while it lasted. Maybe I'll start my own convention with blackjack and hookers.

svatoid

A couple of comments:
1. The policy regarding access points was in effect last year as well.
2. I registered when it became available late last year and paid $55 for fanime 2017

God91125

In regards to the access point being and issue, that would only be an issue if one doesn't have a badge which to to say well one should get a badge. It actually helps the staff a lot in terms of traffic flow and people getting into the con otherwise they would need to check at every door which takes a lot of manpower. The con is getting bigger with more guests, locations and events so it's natural that the price has gotten higher. Just get badges when they become available for a good price.

quiksilvababe

how is this a gripe? pay for a pass, go to the con. end of story.

otakuya

It's only a gripe or complaint if you don't have a badge. It's meant to have the cost of a badge mean something, and prevent those that shouldn't be there. There shouldn't be a complaint about the entrances and exits.

$85 for 5 days worth of entertainment? That's a bargain, even for onsite pass buyers like me. Now just make the arcades free play...

Abyss1

yea they are charging Anime Expo prices ...but either way I paid it.   

GokuMew2

Quote from: Abyss1 on May 30, 2017, 10:19:46 AM
yea they are charging Anime Expo prices
But all events, including MusicFest, are included in that badge price. ;D
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Abyss1

Quote from: GokuMew2 on May 30, 2017, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: Abyss1 on May 30, 2017, 10:19:46 AM
yea they are charging Anime Expo prices
But all events, including MusicFest, are included in that badge price. ;D

yea well AX has a more insane music lineup/event so their pricing for concert tickets is well justified

Nina Star 9

I find the full weekend price reasonable, especially if you pre-reg early. It hasn't gone up /that/ much in price for pre-reg in the past several years, even as much as the at-con prices have risen. I think that there should be the ability to transfer or refund a badge, especially since housing is tied to registration so it's a huge gamble for a lot of people, but if you know you're going early, the price is very reasonable.

What I don't find reasonable? One-day badge prices. A friend of mine was only able to go on Monday and paid almost as much as I did for my weekend badge for a half day of con. Monday in particular, when everyone is packing up and there's little in the way on content, shouldn't cost so much.

I enjoy the badged upper area of the concourse. It really helps with traffic flows and saves a lot of time. I say that if you want the con content, you gotta pay the con prices. Be thankful that the badge checkpoint is just to go upstairs (or to the video rooms downstairs) and not to enter the convention center at all if you are ghosting. :P

Abyss1

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 30, 2017, 11:17:37 AM
I find the full weekend price reasonable, especially if you pre-reg early. It hasn't gone up /that/ much in price for pre-reg in the past several years, even as much as the at-con prices have risen. I think that there should be the ability to transfer or refund a badge, especially since housing is tied to registration so it's a huge gamble for a lot of people, but if you know you're going early, the price is very reasonable.

What I don't find reasonable? One-day badge prices. A friend of mine was only able to go on Monday and paid almost as much as I did for my weekend badge for a half day of con. Monday in particular, when everyone is packing up and there's little in the way on content, shouldn't cost so much.

I enjoy the badged upper area of the concourse. It really helps with traffic flows and saves a lot of time. I say that if you want the con content, you gotta pay the con prices. Be thankful that the badge checkpoint is just to go upstairs (or to the video rooms downstairs) and not to enter the convention center at all if you are ghosting. :P

yea I thought a single day badge was unreasonably priced...I really only wanted to go 2days but the cost difference was small to go for the weekend...and I only ended up fully attending 2days

bobcat888

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 30, 2017, 11:17:37 AM

Completely agree with your entire post. Especially this part. I think maybe it's like for single day passes to try to make money off the people who are curious about the con or people who found out they could go late minute. That doesn't seem right. Maybe have one day be a discount day or something?

Though I agree and personally (maybe with some guilt) enjoy the less crowed halls of the upstairs. The people that come in to check out the downstairs con without a pass shouldn't be seen a problem. I think the rooms downstairs or even the karaoke (when it was "free" up to two years ago) is a nice way to introduce people to the con who maybe weren't aware of it. They might want to go next year & every year after that just on given the freedom to check out a screening room.

Is the con getting bigger? It seemed smaller. It'd be interesting to see those stats!

Nina Star 9

I'm also really curious about the attendance numbers for this year, but this con doesn't really give out solid attendance numbers to compare it to. AA was super crowded Saturday afternoon, but otherwise, it seemed like there were fewer crowds in the convention center itself -- were there fewer people, was there better crowd control, or was there the same amount or more but they were mostly in the outdoor and otherwise unbadged areas?

I think there should be a balance between "ability for newcomers to check out the con" and "not giving too much free content to people who are ghosting," and I think the con might be right near finding that perfect balance. I can understand the video rooms being badged for legal reasons (needing to purchase a membership to watch licensed content, as opposed to it being a public screening anyone could wander into), but I do somewhat miss karaoke being open, even if I always buy a badge myself.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: bobcat888 on May 30, 2017, 11:47:19 AM
Is the con getting bigger? It seemed smaller. It'd be interesting to see those stats!

A combination of no registration issues + perfect weather = people more up for spreading out, hanging out and mingling outside, walking around to eat in different places, going over to the park, having more outdoor photo shoots, etc.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Steve.Young

I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but we grew from last year. We just have more programming spread out over a larger area so it feels smaller.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Hat_Guy

Quote from: WorldDominationStudios on May 29, 2017, 01:10:21 PM
This year's Fanimecon had two major shocks for me.

The first was a policy change regarding access points. In previous years, people who didn't buy a pass were only blocked from attending specific events. They were still free to roam the convention center's open spaces on both the upper and lower floors. This year, the entirety of the upper floor and a good chunk of the ground floor were off-limits except to pass-holders. This is a HUGE drag.

The second was the sharp increase in registration prices. The last time I attended Fanimecon, a 4-day pass was somewhere in the neighborhood of $60. This year, it was $85. Look, guys, this isn't Venezuela. We're not experiencing 50% annual inflation. This kind of price increase, in combination with the first policy change that I mentioned, is absolutely inexcusable, especially when Kublacon is still only $60.

It was fun while it lasted. Maybe I'll start my own convention with blackjack and hookers.

My two cents:

• The policy change on access points was instituted to keep the convention by fans, for fans.  In previous years, we've had too many people from outside the con walk in without paying for a badge, and sneaking into con areas like the Dealers Hall and the Gaming Hall.  Combined with several reports of harrasment in previous years (a small issue, but it did seem to pop up), Fanime probably decided to switch things up in the name of security, which worked out very well this year in my opinion.

• Prices are pretty much the same they've always been, especially concerning four day passes.  They've only experienced at most a $10 increase over previous years due to the main rule of economics: supply and demand.  When pre-reg first opens, you can get weekend passes for the same price as day passes at-con; it's only as you draw nearer to the convention that prices go up.  Also, pricing is pretty much irrelevant if you volunteer, which nets you your money back.

Overall, not a shock for me, or for the rest of us, really.  Considering that the convention has been growing like crazy every year, I'd say there's nothing to complain about, pricewise.

hikanteki

1. If the OP is only ghosting and not paying for a badge, then to be honest I'm glad that he didn't attend this year and probably won't in the future.

2. I bought a badge right when they went on sale for $55...which was the same as last year. The at-convention price was higher ($85, vs. $75 I think?) but I don't think it's that big of a jump. The first year I went (2010), the at-con price was $60. That's an increase of $25 in 7 years...I can live with that.

I do however agree that single day badges are too expensive. Buying two days alone is significantly more expensive than a weekend pass..but some people can't go all weekend, and $60 for a single day pass could turn people off who are on the fence. I think it would be a better to make 2 days the exact same price as a weekend badge, or maybe even a little cheaper. That way it makes going only one day a lot more accessible, and people who go two or more days probably wouldn't mind paying a couple extra bucks to get a weekend pass just so they have the option of going the rest of the days.

Abyss1

My only assumption as to why the single day badges are so high was because the convention center staff was not verifying badges, ergo using it for the full weekend....mine was flipped over half the time and they still let me in

iAteTheRamen

This year, the entirety of the upper floor and a good chunk of the ground floor were off-limits except to pass-holders. This is a HUGE drag.

They did this last year. It really helped relieve the traffic upstairs.

The last time I attended Fanimecon, a 4-day pass was somewhere in the neighborhood of $60. This year, it was $85. Look, guys, this isn't Venezuela. We're not experiencing 50% annual inflation. This kind of price increase, in combination with the first policy change that I mentioned, is absolutely inexcusable, especially when Kublacon is still only $60.

This year I paid $55 for a 4-day pass, same as last year, and I think the year before that. Full weekend passes are cheapest when you buy early.

Vegas is cool since it's also 24/7, but I still think Fanime is more fun and much cheaper. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this year's con, even though you technically never even attended.

Erik_anderson

My one response to this, is if the price is an issue come volunteer.  put in 20 hours from Thursday to Monday  (which ain't that hard I worked 42 hours) and you get your membership for free.  You get to meet people and see things you don't normally get to.  Sure if you get a boring job monitoring a door that can not be fun, but hey... pokemon stops.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~

keyblademaster333

I understand price being a good reason not to go, but if you don't have the money then you honestly should not attend. Going to the con, complaining about not being able to be in events and other things, and then say "Well I don't have the money" seems like your saying that you want to be able to do everything at the con for free. If you really want to go to the con and have low money then buy the ticket early, it isn't too cheap but it is still cheaper.