2018 Old School Cosplay (Pre-2001) Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, September 03, 2017, 10:39:53 AM

arcanebond

Hey there! I'm gonna be showing up to this as sesshomaru & my friend is going as inuyasha!
fanime 2017 plans

imp mercy - overwatch
primarina gijinka - pokemon

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on May 15, 2018, 08:17:02 PM
The map surely helps! ^^ Thank you for that!

No problem!  With gathering locations being shifted and formally renumbered this year (honestly it's all a lot simpler now) I wanted everyone to understand that G3 is a new gathering location for Fanime, but is easy to find.

Quote from: arcanebond on May 16, 2018, 03:03:53 AM
Hey there! I'm gonna be showing up to this as sesshomaru & my friend is going as inuyasha!

Great!  I've noticed that Inuyasha has had a bit of a resurgence lately, but surprisingly don't see a lot of cosplayers.  It's also one of those older series (manga 1996, anime 2000) that doesn't tend to get mentioned as an older series.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

Here we are, exactly one week away from FanimeCon! It's looking like the weather should be pretty nice (although not as perfectly cool as it's going to be this weekend), with a super slim chance of a tiny bit of passing rain on Saturday morning. Here's hoping all your cosplay preparations are complete and if not, that you can get them taken care of this weekend.

Starting off this last Friday of old school anime openings with an obscure one, at least outside of Japan and France. The Pumpkin Wine is a romance comedy that reverses convention usually seen in manga and anime, featuring a leading lady of large stature and her boyfriend of much smaller size. The anime adaptation ran for 95 episodes and was also broadcast in France. A third manga series concluded as recently as 2009, with a live action film in 2007.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's! The Pumpkin Wine (1982)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgQGlwUXKI

Continuing on with an interesting one, and a bit of a forgotten Tatsunoko property. Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman is a bit like Lethal Weapon in the future, with the addition of a fish out of water story about a man being transported 70 years into the future with no memory of his past. It's also a series that is currently available subtitled via streaming. Mid-ni-ght Sub-ma-riiiiine!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's! Future Police Urashiman (1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvf_Y_HTdls

Finishing off Friday with an OVA opening that plays out as a character's rather serious dream sequence. Truth be told, this is one of my absolute favorite animated sequences ever.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's! Project A-ko 3: Cinderella Rhapsody (1988)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73M_DyZGW8

Starting off this last Saturday of old school anime OPs with a bit of a strange one. I'm always looking up old anime series and this one, Dream Soldier Wingman, has such a strange opening. Apparently the manga ran in Shonen Jump beginning in 1983 and is about a tokusatsu otaku given the opportunity to become the hero of his dreams. A pretty down-tempo opening theme as well.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's! Yume Senshi Wingman (1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTI9EZglHX4

Continuing on today, I've never been a huge Sailor Moon SuperS fan (I honestly think the later half of the series falls apart - to the point it intrudes on Sailor Stars... which I have even more issues with) but the opening half of episodes with the Amazon Trio I do enjoy. Ryotaro Okiayu, who voiced Tiger's Eye, is a FanimeCon 2018 Guest of Honor.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's! Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWV-hgz7GA

Closing out Saturday with a forgotten one from 1995 that had a full DVD and manga release in English, now both long out of print.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's! Kaitou Saint Tail (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZppUBAPT9w

Here we are, last Sunday before FanimeCon and the last day of old school anime OPs for this year. Starting with a sequel to a classic.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's! Science Ninja Team Gatchaman II (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2No1vk_22Cc

Continuing on with another seemingly forgotten series.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's! Fushigi Yuugi (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ll09siuxA

And closing out this year's last day of old school anime OPs with the final anime TV series in the franchise that the gathering hosts will be cosplaying from (again). The City Hunter '91 opening is one of my favorites and very interesting as the entire thing is a callback to the original opening from 1987.

Ryo and Kaori start out in their street performer outfits which had been briefly seen in the original opening and nowhere else. All the women that Ryo is seen introducing himself to are actually characters that appeared (mostly as one-shots) in the 127 episodes that preceded City Hunter '91. The expanded main cast riding on crows and dragonflies are a reference to the main "face faults" of City Hunter - simply drawn crows or dragonflies in the background of scenes. In the first opening Saeko was shown in silhouette behind Ryo, this time it's Kaori in her place - a reference to how their relationship has grown. And the opening concludes with an ending shot posed the same as the original, except this time with the expanded cast.

Here's wishing you safe travels, good health, and smooth registration at FanimeCon on Friday. Thank you all for your interest in this gathering - I am continuously surprised by the attention it has been given. I hope to see you all on Friday evening at 6pm! ~ Mokkori!

Celebrating An Era - 1990's! City Hunter '91 (1991)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz69tyXfhMA

quinhawk

Hey there everyone! So i'm going to be coming as Asuka Langley Soryu from Neon Genesis Evangelion. This will be my first old school gathering and i'm exited to see everything 😃

InsaneDavid

Quote from: quinhawk on May 19, 2018, 01:03:36 AM
Hey there everyone! So i'm going to be coming as Asuka Langley Soryu from Neon Genesis Evangelion. This will be my first old school gathering and i'm exited to see everything 😃

Outstanding!  We usually have a couple Evangelion cosplayers every year!

Alright everyone, I just made the "final" regular post on the Facebook event page as we're only a few days away from the gathering.

Your hosts will be wearing Ryo Saeba and Kaori Makimura from City Hunter once again - but we'll have the much larger 100t hammer with us this year.  I'm looking forward to another great turnout this year.  I'll see you all Friday evening at 6pm at Gatherings G3!

SkylerKarashi

Quote from: InsaneDavid on September 09, 2017, 11:32:00 PM
Quote from: gary925 on September 09, 2017, 09:25:17 PM
I have two I can potentially wear for this. I have umbreon from pokemon, but I'll probably be wearing that a different day. I'll be wearing Fred Weasley from Harry Potter that day though and the book was pre-2001. :)

Still a long way off but we could always use early generation Pokemon representation if things work out differently!
LOL, looks like I'll be bringing Umbreon after all for that day along with an Espeon and Jolteon. I'll have a Sylveon as well, but sadly that one's out of the Pre-2001 frame. I'm still gonna try and show up for this though. :D
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

InsaneDavid

Alright old schoolers, just about one day to go! Remember we're at the new Gatherings G3 location! That's the stair platforms between the stairs and escalator that go down to the video room level. Less random people walking through pictures! Much easier to climb stairs! Wider platforms to stand on! No getting drowned out by Stage Zero (hopefully) !

See you Friday evening at 6pm!

saboli

Hi it might be a bit of a last minute to write here, but I'm gonna be cosplaying as fem!Shogo Yahagi from Megazone 23 part 1 once again! (I messaged here a few years back but I got a cold that year)
Do I need a registration to join the cosplay gathering by any chance?

InsaneDavid

Thank you to all attendees for 2018! Our new location isn't without its growing pains but ultimately I still think it's the best current location for us (especially considering that it was pouring rain outside at the same time as the gathering). We'll have all the pictures from this gathering up within a week or so (probably next Tuesday or Wednesday).

Although we were without an official photographer, our unofficial photographer (my partner in busting up crime on the streets of Shinjuku) did shoot the entire gathering and those pictures will be available next week. These will be the full set of full resolution, non-watermarked, downloadable pictures. The link to the gallery will be posted here, on the Facebook event page for the gathering, and at https://www.facebook.com/mokkoricosplay

Thank you all for putting up with my declining (naturally) raspy voice and our massive photography list. A main goal I have for this gathering, and a huge reason I host it every year, is to ensure that any pre-2001 cosplayer has a chance to have cosplay photographs taken. As someone who generally cosplays as obscure (at least outside of Japan) characters, I know how difficult it can sometimes be to get cosplay pictures.

Love Sign Master Spark

to saboli: You don't need a badge/registration to attend this or any cosplay gathering.  To my knowledge (I'm not staff or a volunteer with the cosplay department), having cosplay gatherings in areas that don't require a badge to access is an intentional decision by the gatherings department.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Love Sign Master Spark on May 28, 2018, 10:59:23 AM
to saboli: You don't need a badge/registration to attend this or any cosplay gathering.  To my knowledge (I'm not staff or a volunteer with the cosplay department), having cosplay gatherings in areas that don't require a badge to access is an intentional decision by the gatherings department.

Ah, didn't see that post - thanks!  Correct, cosplay gatherings take place in areas that do not require a badge to attend and is something that the CGD specifically maintains as such.

Sorry I didn't respond before the gathering! Generally once the evening of Day Zero rolls around, I'm occupied with convention and cosplay related stuff and don't access the forums until Fanime is wrapping up.  My post on Friday evening was an exception since I was back home that evening (I'm fortunate enough to live about 5 minutes from FanimeCon and drive to and from the convention each day).

Angelx624

I had a lot of fun again at the gathering!! Thank you once again for hosting it! <3 Being Ed is always fun and I'm glad to see two Spikes there! ^^

Next year I'll probly be there as Reno since I'm doing a Final Fantasy VII panel with friends next year. :D
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on May 28, 2018, 03:29:02 PM
I had a lot of fun again at the gathering!! Thank you once again for hosting it! <3 Being Ed is always fun and I'm glad to see two Spikes there! ^^

Next year I'll probly be there as Reno since I'm doing a Final Fantasy VII panel with friends next year. :D

Thanks for attending!  Your Ed was awesome!  I was happy to see we had multiple Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star cosplayers this year.  I'm already looking forward to the 2019 Old School Cosplay Gathering as well as doubling up my Vintage Anime - Name That Year panel to two sessions.

It's probably no secret that by Friday evening after the gathering I'm pretty wiped out so I'm never totally sure how it went by the conclusion.  :D

InsaneDavid

Hello old schoolers!!

Thank you all so much for attending the FanimeCon 2018 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering!

2018 marked the third consecutive year we have hosted the Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering at FanimeCon. The link below is the full gallery of pictures we took at the gathering as host and co-host.

https://www.facebook.com/496398453882635/photos/?tab=album&album_id=836074006581743

This is the full set of high-resolution, unedited, non-watermarked, uncropped pictures from the gathering. Cosplayers - please feel free to share, tag, download, crop, use on your cosplay pages, etc. This is everything, so there may be some shots that are a bit blurry, or have someone moving, or are during a photo order setup - but they are all presented so you may crop and edit them as you see fit. We did the best we could, as always, and we were without an official photographer this year. The first dozen or so pictures are a little rosy but we corrected our camera settings from then on.

Additionally be sure to check out the second post in this thread for galleries from other photographers who were at the gathering.  They will be added as they are found.

This gathering is for you, for us, who cosplay as these characters! Thank you to all who attended or showed interest in this gathering. We hope to see you all again for FanimeCon next year and the 2019 Old School Cosplay Gathering!! It will always be held the evening of Fanime Friday!

InsaneDavid

I've added some additional galleries that feature the Old School Gathering, check the second post of this thread for the links!  If anyone else has a gallery of pictures from this gathering, post it here and I'll add it to that post!

In wrapping up the 2018 Old School Cosplay Gathering, we plan on utilizing the same location for 2019 with a few small changes:

-- I'll actually have my small megaphone with me to make hearing the photo sequence easier for everyone.
-- Introduce both our unofficial photographer (my co-host) as well as any official photographer we may have so people will know where they are.
-- We're going to push everyone back another two feet or so to allow more space for cosplayers to be able to get up onto the platforms and also to disembark during photo changes easier. This should also cut way down on photobombing and give our official / unofficial photographers priority position.
-- With the crowd moved back a little more, it'll give me space to get out of photographs while still being able to call the next sequence.

In the three years since we've inherited hosting duties for this gathering we've been in three different locations (The Hub, Entrance Stairs, Video Room Stairs).  Now that it looks like G3 (Video Room Stairs) will be a good home for the gathering going forward, we can work to make next year run smoother all around.  I'm also planning on having ribbons for every gathering attendee in 2019.

Thank you again, you are all awesome! Hope to see you all again in 2019 - as FanimeCon itself celebrates a legacy, with its 25th anniversary!