Kyra_Maverick

Reg for 2018 - Nov 7th @ Noon PST

https://www.fanime.com/news/registration-opens-november-7-at-noon-pst/

New for this year:

Club Registration for large groups who need a single invoice for registration

No more Group Registration

Register for a Child Badge online instead of on-site

Kyra_Maverick

So how was everyone's registration experience? I tried the website first which crashed as expected. Found the direct link on facebook and was able to complete reg by 12:05, so hopefully early enough for first housing window.

Konekogami

It was.. iffy for me, to say the least.

Like a lot of other people, I was clicking reload on the website, and when it finally loaded the register now link wasn't working.  So I immediately went to facebook to see if there was any news and found the link there.  I AM upset that there wasn't any information about the link not being on their main site, but at the same time I was also able to get my registration finished by about 5 minutes after noon so not too bad, I think.   

I wish I knew what the time frames for the housing blocks were.  As in what gets you into what housing window.  Is it by minute? hour? day?  Oh well.. at the very least I have a few months to steel my nerves for hotel reservations.

Kyra_Maverick

I wish I had thought to check facebook or twitter first, I think that's what I ended up doing last year, but at least there was no slowdown once I got to the reg page.

Nina Star 9

I had both the website and FB up, and immediately after refreshing the website and seeing it wasn't going to load, checked FB, saw the link was up at noon exactly, and finished my reg at 12:02. Glad I've learned to check FB as well as the website.

Though there should be two things fixed here: one is that there shouldn't be server crashes during reg. Thankfully reg itself went smoothly, but the website shouldn't crash so much.
Second is that the link should have been on the website at noon, so that people weren't forced to hunt through social media to find it. It's like a secret back door for those of us who thought to check the FB page, and it shouldn't be like that.

Quote from: Konekogami on November 09, 2017, 11:16:47 AM
I wish I knew what the time frames for the housing blocks were.  As in what gets you into what housing window.  Is it by minute? hour? day?  Oh well.. at the very least I have a few months to steel my nerves for hotel reservations.
It would make the most sense to me to not have it by time, but by person. The first X number of people to register get into block #1, the second X number of people get into block #2, etc. Doing it by time (if you register by 12:05 you get into block #1, by 12:10 you get into block #2, etc.) would cause all sorts of issues if, for example, 3000 people register in the first minute, and then 500 register in the next 10 minutes, since the numbers of people in hotel registration time blocks would potentially be very uneven. So I have a feeling that the timeframes for the blocks would vary by year, and would depend on how many other people registered in that amount of time.

Alyxiane

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on November 10, 2017, 07:11:54 AM
Quote from: Konekogami on November 09, 2017, 11:16:47 AM
It would make the most sense to me to not have it by time, but by person. The first X number of people to register get into block #1, the second X number of people get into block #2, etc. Doing it by time (if you register by 12:05 you get into block #1, by 12:10 you get into block #2, etc.) would cause all sorts of issues if, for example, 3000 people register in the first minute, and then 500 register in the next 10 minutes, since the numbers of people in hotel registration time blocks would potentially be very uneven. So I have a feeling that the timeframes for the blocks would vary by year, and would depend on how many other people registered in that amount of time.

Nina's scenario seems to be the more likely case since our confirmation email has a registration number under the QR code. As to what's the exact cutoff for each hotel blocks (every X amount of people has their own block), that's the uncertain part.

Registration for my case was ok, but I failed to check social media until maybe 7 minutes after noon since the link still didn't show up until maybe 12:15? As mentioned, we shouldn't have to find workarounds since those 7 or even 15 minutes can be crucial because of how hotels have been set up the past couple years. And I wonder if registration was relatively smooth for me *because* most people were just refreshing the website instead of looking through FB and Twitter for the link.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

TC X0 Lt 0X

Finished 2 minutes past Noon, so I am pretty happy with my spot. On the slip side I don't know how my other mates did, and one of the guys that said he was going to take care of a Room this year had not done so 6 hours after reg opened up (he probably didnt know how competitive getting rooms is). Well I at least have my reg to guarantee a room most likely

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 11, 2017, 12:02:31 AM
Finished 2 minutes past Noon, so I am pretty happy with my spot. On the slip side I don't know how my other mates did, and one of the guys that said he was going to take care of a Room this year had not done so 6 hours after reg opened up (he probably didnt know how competitive getting rooms is). Well I at least have my reg to guarantee a room most likely
6 hours? Yikes. Gone are the days of waiting days or weeks after housing goes up and still being confident you can get a room.

Amanojaku

An hour after it opened up, I looked at my twitter feed on my phone and saw the link.  Clicked it, did the whole registration from my phone and had zero issues.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku