Disposal of old cosplay/props

Started by Dreadhawk, March 03, 2018, 10:10:51 PM

Dreadhawk

Hi there!

I was curious how everyone, sad as it is, gets rid of their older cosplays and props.

I've dropped a significant amount of weight and gotten in shape since last Fanime and none of my old cosplays fit. One in particular has rather fallen apart and I'm afraid couldn't even be passed on to another, so I was curious what the best way to dispose of them is.

Materials are mainly EVA foam coated with acrylic paints and a variety of seals.

I would imagine they go straight in the garbage but that seems kind of sad, and I'm not sure the painted foam can be disposed of that way.

Any tips?

Thanks!
2019 lineup:
Shoebill (f>m genderswap) (Kemono Friends)
Elias Ainsworth (The Ancient Magus Bride)
King Hassan (Fate/Grand Order)
Gran (Granblue Fantasy)

PrincessSquib

You would be surprised what some people would be interested in taking off of your hands!

For full cosplay/props that are in decent condition, try a "Swap Meet" or maybe sell them through ETSY?
I sold a lot of my old cosplay outfits at Anime Swap Meets. I know Fanime has one as well. Its like a huge yard sale where anyone can sell (as long as you fill out paperwork and purchase a spot).

Another option is cosplay costume sales groups on Facebook. There are quite a few, so try taking a look there.

And for the stuff that can't possibly be re-used: a much needed trip to the dump. I made a large motorcycle like prop that was about 6ft long, and after a while, it just had to go. I left it on the street for the once a year dump cleanup.

But those are all just some options.
I Hope it helped!

-Miranda
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz