Watercolor Basics Panel

Started by Rainbow Ichi, March 27, 2018, 09:57:42 AM

Rainbow Ichi

I am curious if anyone would be interested in a watercolor basics panel. More like a paint-along at the last 30 mins of the panel if possible . I'm thinking it might be a 2-hour panel if that were the case.

I've seriously started learning (rather waterdoodling) 2 years ago, and its been a blast! And guess where it started? Yes. Fanime. When Kuretake had a booth and I wanted to try watercolors again (I've tried many years ago but it didn't work out too well....but it turns out its because I've been using the WRONG PAPER the entire time). I was pretty hesitant, and my friend just said GO FOR IT. And I did, and I enjoyed the experience when I used better quality materials.

I have a youtube channel posting some of my waterdoodles:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hokagenofujin

I'm thinking of discussing:

• thumbnailing and preparing for your final work
• watercolor paper choices
• tubes or pans? choosing your watercolors
• how much water is too much water?
• staining and non-staining watercolors (but seriously I go ahead with them anyway)
• inking
• finishing/finalizing

I'm thinking maybe just teaching/showing the basic techniques:

• Flat wash
• Glazing
• wet on wet
• wet on dry
• gradation

And then if anyone's interested in bringing watercolors they can bring their own stuff like:

• 1 pre-drawn piece on watercolor paper
• 3-4 sheets of watercolor paper
• cup for holding water and a bottle of any water (I use tap) OR bring a waterbrush
• tissues/ paper towels - lots of them or at least 3 sheets
• your own watercolors - doesn't matter what type. Tube users just bring a pallete with you.
• 3 sheets of old newspaper - to keep from making a huge mess on the table

Stuff that I recommend to bring but not required to bring:

Watercolor paper : anything with at least 185gsm/90lbpaper or higher. strathmore series 200 and up watercolor paper (doesn't matter if cold press or hotpress) you can get a 30-sheet pad of the series 200 for $5+ in Aaron Brothers. My preference is the Strathmore 400 series 12-sheet pad. Normally costs $12 in Michaels or you can get them on a good sale at Aaron Brothers.

Watercolor Brushes : I don't recommend Artist Loft.... or even the Daiso brush sets.  If a single regular 6 round brush costs at least $5 or more then that's fine you don't need a lot of brushes anyway - you'll be fine with just 2 brushes - one big ...say round 8 and one smal...say round 4. Don't get a brush set that costs $5 entirely, you'll be disappointed. Even a Royal and Langlicker set of 4 brushes for $12 is decent.

Watercolors : Again.. I don't recommend Artist Loft, buf if you really want to go cheap, try getting the Daiso watercolor Tube set for $1.50. If you pick anything better, I recommend trying Winsor and Newton Cotman. WnN cotman tubes cost $5 for 8ml tube, so just pick 3 primary colors. If you're choosing primaries, please make sure that if you get a Cool red (close to purple red) - get a cool yellow (not an orangey yellow) and cool blue (nothing violet-y on the blue) colored tube. Same if you get a warm set, pick warm colors - reddish red, orangey yellow, slightly purplish blue

So...what do you think?
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

Amamikyo

Dude I would seriously go to this if it was a thing!
(just got into doing watercolor and i have no idea what i'm doing)
discord: amamikyo#4130

Rainbow Ichi

<3 <3 My advice is to go for it! Keep on trying!

Also the library and youtube is your best friend. That's where I picked some of the basics from. But also you learn things on how you tackle with watercolors as you do it more often. I tend to overwork my doodles sometimes so right now I'm trying not to overdo it.

Hmm Panel signups has ended last Friday Mar 24. Do you think I should still try signing up for 2018 or should I sign up for next year?
I posted here without thinking about the deadlines, was just wondering if it would be a great idea for a panel that I could host.

YaoiCat

Rainbow Ichi

I would love to share this too! Unfortunately I filed for the panel possibly too late. However! I am ready with a presentation. It said that I am on the waitlist, so if a panelist decides to cancel/cancel last minute, there might be a chance! If not, I'll try to apply again next year!