Vintage Anime - Name That Year! - Returning for 2023!

Started by InsaneDavid, March 27, 2018, 02:42:48 PM

InsaneDavid

Returning for 2023 to bring classic anime love back to FanimeCon -

Vintage Anime - Name That Year!

Do you know your anime? Three attendees compete to identify pre-2001 anime openings to their respective years! Each classic anime opening is followed by a brief selection of information, including current availability and related works. Compete to win old school anime prizes and be crowned Otaking!*

(three contestant slots accepted from panel attendees - first come, first served)

*Otaking is not gender-specific, it's a term from the 1991 OVA "Otaku no Video" but if you're interested in this panel then you probably knew that already.

View the greatest anime openings of all time, listen to iconic music, and expand your anime horizons!

This will be a two hour panel featuring TWO FULL games / sessions back to back - think of a game show shooting two episodes on the same day as an example.  That means there will be six total contestants, 3 for the first game and 3 for the second, with each game featuring completely different anime titles.  Also means there will be two different vintage anime prize packages in the theme of vintage anime fandom, special parting gifts for all six contestants, and a small special gift for EVERY attendee.

Saturday, May 27th at 10:00am - 12:00pm in Panels Room 3

The first six panel attendees who wish to compete will be assigned Session A (first three, first game) or Session B (second three, second game) and will sit at the front of the room across from the stage. They will each be given three cards, marked A, B, and C.

Ten rounds - Each round will have three years on screen, example: A.1982 B.1985 C.1989, and an anime opening / intro will play. At the conclusion of the anime opening, each contestant holds up the card that corresponds to the year they think the anime series premiered in. If their answer is correct, they are awarded a point.  After a round, the next presentation slide will give the correct answer for the competitors and audience, brief information about the series, its current availability, and so on - as is done in a traditional information panel.  After that the next round begins.

Whichever contestant has the most points at the end of the final round wins a vintage anime prize pack supplied by myself in the theme of vintage anime fandom. (the packages from previous years contained things like LaserDiscs, reference books, soundtrack CDs, video games, oddball bootleg DVDs and more - all vintage anime themed - like the stuff you'd find at anime cons in the 90's) In the case of a tie, there will be a tiebreak series opening, without multiple choice, where the contestants must write the year down. Closest to the actual year breaks the tie and wins.  In the event of a continuing tie, co-champions will be crowned and the prizes will be split!

A twist on the "vintage anime" type panel with more audio / video and the addition of a competition between three attendees.

All contestants will receive a special parting gift!
All panel attendees will receive a commemorative badge ribbon at the end of the panel! (limit 80 ribbons)

Join us and... NAME - THAT - YEAR!

I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

With registration now open, I wanted to ping this thread as we plan on hosting this again for 2019!  Due to positive feedback we're considering expanding to a second session depending on policy once panel registration opens.

Thank you to all our attendees and contestants from FanimeCon 2018 for sharing a bit of your Saturday morning with us and expanding your vintage anime knowledge.

Barnes

I guess I better brush on my old-school knowledge.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Barnes on November 07, 2018, 11:59:09 PM
I guess I better brush on my old-school knowledge.

Or just watch a lot of pre-2001 anime openings.  :D

Last year we had a three-way tie at Round 8 that progressed to a two-way tie after the Final Round, so it went to a tiebreaker.

InsaneDavid

InsaneDavid

We had a really good mix of attendees (and our three contestants) last year and I want to emphasize this panel can be enjoyed by anyone who likes anime, even if you only have a curiosity about titles from 2000 and earlier - not just the "hardened vintage retro otaku."  As three year choices are given for each opening / intro, you can think through it and formulate a good guess as to the correct response - although I do like to make them somewhat tricky (but not frustrating) in that regard.  That was actually really cool last year, watching the contestants work a bit of a process of elimination while the openings were playing.

Additionally I try to ensure the panel has a good mix of anime.  At least one title that's really well-known commonly, a few that are very popular but not universal, one truly vintage title, one where the art style betrays its production year, and a general mix otherwise.  I also attempt to utilize titles that have been recently licensed / relicensed or rescued, have a fansubbing project currently underway, have new productions based upon the property currently in work, are celebrating an anniversary, have a connection to a FanimeCon Guest of Honor, etc.  So they are absolutely not thrown together at random - I really think through what to include in the panel as per what is going on with vintage anime currently and then I research to make sure my information is as accurate as possible.

InsaneDavid

With the panel listing now made official, we're set for Saturday morning at 9am in Panels 4.  One Session.

InsaneDavid

If I'm able to get a two-hour Saturday morning slot, 2020 will feature two full games (two groups of three contestants), two awesome vintage prize packages, special parting gifts for all contestants, and a small special gift for EVERY attendee.

InsaneDavid

InsaneDavid

Okay, it appears we have been accepted for 2020, Saturday morning, 9am - 11am in Panels Room 4.  This will be TWO FULL games / sessions back to back - think of a game show shooting two episodes on the same day for example.  That means there will be six total contestants, 3 for the first game and 3 for the second, with each game featuring completely different anime titles.  Also means there will be two different vintage anime prize packages in the theme of vintage anime fandom, special parting gifts for all six contestants, and a small special gift for EVERY attendee.

The thread will be updated in the next week with more information.  Thanks for your support, hope to see you at Fanime!

InsaneDavid

What a long strange trip it has been, ah?  Previous post at the end of February 2020 was nothing but clear skies on the horizon for the 2020 convention, excitement and anticipation with a note that more information was on the way.  A couple weeks later everything changed and Santa Clara County shelter-in-place began and the pandemic was well upon us.

So here we are, a week away from Memorial Day Weekend a year later.  Things are looking up around here, and we commend FanimeCon for hosting a virtual convention this year, adding value for attendees who registered for 2020, and also providing some of the events that bring us all together at the end of May every year.

As this panel is largely dependent on audience participation, specifically timed presentation slides with a live competition, and lots of multimedia and discussion - we have opted to postpone until the in-person convention resumes in 2022.

With that said, I hope everyone is doing well and that virtual Fanime 2021 runs smoothly.  And of course I hope to see you all in a panel room on Saturday morning at FanimeCon 2022 to share our love of vintage anime.

c2chaos

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

InsaneDavid

Hey everyone.  I just submitted the panel for 2022, same as the plan that we were approved for in 2020 - two hours with two full games.  Here's hoping it's accepted and goes through smoothly.

InsaneDavid

It's back.  It's approved.  It's twice as big as in years previous.   ...and it'll be at Fanime Saturday 10am - Noon in Panels Room 3.

Vintage Anime - Name That Year! returns for 2022!

InsaneDavid

Corrected an error I had in the first post.  All systems are still go!  See you Fanime Saturday!

InsaneDavid

Hey, we had a great time hosting yet again!  Outstanding attendance as well.  I want to thank everyone who attended Saturday morning!

Truthfully I'm surprised most people stayed for the entire two hour / two session panel.  Of course we were wrapping around the 1.5 hour mark as I've trailed a slow-to-leave panelist before and I know it's no fun, but we did stay for some Q&A / discussion and used our full slot.

Interestingly enough, in four sessions across three FanimeCons, every single one has gone to a Tiebreaker Round.  In the case of 2022 Session A, the game ENDED in a tiebreak even after.  Thankfully every concession I built into the game at the start has not only worked out well, they've all been used.

Only bad thing... I've gone through 44 vintage titles so far!  Things will start to get more difficult to build balanced sessions that feature all genres, eras, recent re-releases, fansub projects, and of course... a couple that are very misleading to identify.  (as well as a few that most people could get)

We also gave away a TON of prizes this year! I had a bunch of titles that I had upgraded or double dipped releases of, so there was a lot to give away...

Session A
The Anime Encyclopedia Second Edition
Rhino Records "The Best of Anime" CD album
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing "Just Communication" Japanese CD single
Neo Human Casshan full series DVD set (New/Sealed)
Armored Trooper VOTOMS full series Blu-ray / VOTOMS OVA Collection 1 Blu-ray
Tetsuwan Atom / Astro Boy cartridge for the Nintendo Famicom
Cool reusable Daiso bag to cart it all away

Session B
The Anime Encyclopedia Second Edition
Rhino Records "The Best of Anime" CD album
Super Dimension Century Orguss full series DVD
Mobile Police Patlabor The Movie DVD (New/Sealed) / Patlabor 2 The Movie DVD (new/sealed)
Demon City Shinjuku DVD
Dragon Ball Shenron no Nazo cartridge for the Nintendo Famicom
Cool reusable Daiso bag to cart it all away

I also look for cheap / extra / sale stuff throughout the year (I actually already bought some future prizes this year at Fanime).  I joked that there was no Swap Meet this year, so we gave away two Swap Meet hauls instead.

2023 is a year away but I would love to come back for a fourth year and host this panel once again.  I think it's a great way to kick off a Saturday morning at Fanime - essentially the vintage anime / Saturday Anime / celebration of anime room.

InsaneDavid

We're doing it again for 2023!  Two more hours, two full sessions, two chances to compete!

Vintage Anime - Name That Year will be in Panels Room 3 on Saturday, May 27th from 10:00am - 12:00pm.

Kick off your Saturday at FanimeCon the old school way!