Art Gallery???

Started by Xyterra3, April 01, 2018, 12:44:57 PM

Xyterra3

Is this news of an Art Gallery returning to the Fanime confirmed?

Xyterra3

Here's hoping if the Gallery (Art Show) does come back it isn't "Display Only" for the Artist Alley. That would be sad.  :'(

Xyterra3

It may very well be View Only to benefit the Artist Alley. Considering that with the new pegboard displays used last time, it really doesn't take a whole lot of organization or setup for a Gallery. Just seems kinda odd that with only about 40 days remaining there doesn't appear to be any further info on the Fanime site. Does make me wonder though.

Xyterra3

Okay so there's 27 days to go after this post and there's still no information about the gallery? Kinda cutting it to the wire.
How can anyone intending to display anything if we don't know what's going on?

Xyterra3

Wow 17 days and counting until the first day of the Con. Wonder what the hold up is.  :'(

HunterZero

There hasn't been an art gallery for several years. If there was going to be one, it very likely would have been announced by.

If you really want an Art Gallery, you could always try to join staff and run it, FanimeCon is a fan run con.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

InsaneDavid

Quote from: HunterZero on May 09, 2018, 03:12:45 PMIf you really want an Art Gallery, you could always try to join staff and run it, FanimeCon is a fan run con.

Ah, if I recall correctly that was a step taken in a previous year without an Art Gallery, and nothing came of it.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Xyterra3

There hasn't been an Art Show or Gallery since 2016. The Art Show was discontinued because the last person who ran it was accused of fouling up the receipt books and fired. That person did nothing wrong and was a scapegoat. I count 2015 as well because it was display only so it wasn't a real Gallery or Art Show. I and Moonbug offered to run it but were turned down. But with only 16 days until opening day there's still no info. The upper management just didn't think an Art Show was business worthy anymore considering what the artist alley has turned into.

Xyterra3

I just want to assure readers that I'm not complaining about the state of the Art Show, entirely. I had been going to the Fanime and its Art Show since 1997 when it was at Foothill College. It was a regular thing I definitely enjoyed. I know things can change and I know unforeseen things can happen. The years the Art Show was not there I went to the Nan Desu Kan and its Art Show. I like both. I miss the Art Show at the Fanime. I just want it to come back and hopefully be better.

Xyterra3

You gotta be kidding me. Eight days until opening day and still no info about the Art Gallery?  :(

Xyterra3

if I wanted to display in the Art Gallery I need to know what the info is. 5 days to go.  :'(

Xyterra3

Well after sending an email to [email protected] I received a reply shortly after from Milton Le that they don't plan on
having an Art Gallery for 2018 but plan on bringing it back next year.

We were planning to have an Art Gallery for this year and it was recently canceled. Unfortunately, that part of the website was missed. I apologize for this and we're definitely already planning to bring it back for next year.

Xyterra3

I recently checked the Fanime web site and discovered the news that the Art Show or Art Gallery will return after a 4 year absence.
I've sent and email inquiry for any details. Hopefully I'll hear back from someone soon.

Red_Eye

Here's hoping it's legit!  Would love to take part in it again.

Xyterra3

I certainly hope it will be too. I'll have 4 years worth of art to show there that was in the past 3 NDKs in Colorado.
Wonder if they found a good "business model" like they mentioned to me before. Wouldn't mind rounding out the
batch of badges I have to 20 years.

Hachimitsu

Okay i sent a note manmy weeks back but I am still wondering if any of the person in charge received them!?

I hope things are alright because i just remember something, are we supposed to bring our own hooks like the one before?

Xyterra3

Since the Art Show has been absent for four years, it's difficult to guess if anything is in motion at this time. I doubt anything will happen in the most boring month of the year. Not sure how many inquiries have been sent to the new Art Show curators but we'll just have to wait for anything specific.

Xyterra3

Well it's official. The Art Show or Gallery as it's being labeled as is not returning to the Fanime.
I got an answer back from my inquiry.

(Thank you for your email and interest in Art Gallery. Yes, Art Gallery is returning in celebration of Fanime's 25th anniversary! Rather than being a space for selling art, the Art Gallery will highlight the history of Fanime, by showing memorabilia and artworks related to themes throughout the years. Artists who contribute artwork for display can include business cards.)

Guess I'll go back to the NDK. At least they know how to run an Art Show.