SWAP MEET 2018 OFFICIAL INFORMATION THREAD (REGISTRATION CLOSES 5/21/18)

Started by Zelyhon, April 07, 2018, 09:35:50 PM

Zelyhon

Hello all!  This is Ben, your head of Swap Meet again for this year.  As in previous years, I will have this thread to answer questions and post copies of the rules and all that good stuff.  Here's the basic information regarding Swap Meet for everyone!

-Swap Meet Registration IS NOW OPEN!  Please go to https://apps.fanime.com/2018/swapmeet/ to sign up!

-Swap Meet Registration will cost $40 per space per day.

-Swap Meet spaces will be a 14' by 6' space of floor.  While chairs may be used for sitting, you may not use tables, racks, displays, or other furniture like that for your merchandise.

-Swap Meet 2018 will once again be held in SOUTH HALL, the big tent-like building behind the convention center.  Go out the East side of the convention center (the Marriott side) and take a right.  It's very hard to miss.

-Swap Meet 2018 will be held on Thursday, May 24 from 7:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and on Friday, May 25 from 8:00 p.m.to 1:00 a.m. (times potentially subject to some modification)

-Check-in for Sellers will begin about an hour and a half to two hours before doors open to the public.

-As we are in South Hall again this year, that means we must once again say that amplified sound will not be allowed in Swap Meet.  This is the trade-off we have to make for a larger area.  I know some people don't necessarily like the lack of music, but I think that the bigger space more than makes up for it, personally.

-The Swap Meet Seller's Agreement has been approved, and is substantially similar to previous years.  Standard rules like no bootlegs, no metal weapons, only one longbox of adult material allowed per space (which must be covered, labeled, and out of reach when not being reviewed), and the like.  As always, Swap Meet Staff will have final say on whether something violates the rules.

-All sellers at Swap Meet must fill out both the Seller's Application form and sign the Rules and Guidelines.  Please have these ready to go prior to arriving at the convention.

-Seller's Permits tend to generate questions every year, so here's some general info.  Please read over the Seller Application form for more information.  Short version is if you qualify as an "occasional seller," then you should need to fill out the Seller Application Form and mark yourself as an occasional seller.  Occasional sellers are basically people who sell no more than twice in a 12 month period, don't buy things specifically for resale, and are not selling new merchandise.  Those last two requirements are prohibited by Swap Meet rules anyways.  Be sure to look over the information and find out if you qualify as an occasional seller.  Just remember, Swap Meet staff is not your attorney, and thus cannot answer legal questions about whether your specific situation qualifies as an occasional seller.  If you think you might not qualify as an occasional seller, please follow the link on the form to get more information.  If you know you don't qualify as an occasional seller, please be sure to have a copy of your valid seller's permit for staff to look at when you check in.

Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

AkaiSenkou

A main question that I have would be if dollys/hand trucks are allowed to bring stuff in to the swap meet hall. Every year, we are told that it is not allowed but people still get to bring stuff in with them. I want to know since this year my friend would be having less help with the items than previous years. And if you were wondering, we were part of the group that had boxes of things but no dollys, so we want to know what the policy is for this year. Thanks

kill3rsushi

Hello! I'd like to know if there's a target date for Swap Meet registration to go live/how much notice you think we'll have before it goes live. I've missed out for a few years now due to being out of the loop and I'd like to make sure I have a shot this year. Thank you!

Anon

Quote from: AkaiSenkou on April 11, 2018, 02:03:49 AM
A main question that I have would be if dollys/hand trucks are allowed to bring stuff in to the swap meet hall. Every year, we are told that it is not allowed but people still get to bring stuff in with them. I want to know since this year my friend would be having less help with the items than previous years. And if you were wondering, we were part of the group that had boxes of things but no dollys, so we want to know what the policy is for this year. Thanks

lol, use 'em up to the door, once inside, no more cart. Union rules. Plan ahead for once you're at the door. I used to strap all my boxes of stuff together with a ratcheting strap and just drag it by the strap itself or carry the whole thing on my shoulders. And yes, I had a lot of boxes too, and 2-3 people helping.

Quote from: kill3rsushi on April 11, 2018, 11:42:06 AM
Hello! I'd like to know if there's a target date for Swap Meet registration to go live/how much notice you think we'll have before it goes live. I've missed out for a few years now due to being out of the loop and I'd like to make sure I have a shot this year. Thank you!

If taking the past 2 years as a trend, I'd say about an hour's worth of notice will happen before the registration goes live... lol, sorry Ben, gotta bust your chops a little on that one, it's gotten continually worse every year. I know it's probably not your fault, but somebody has to say something, right?

Good luck to the all sellers this year. I'm fully "retired" from selling and attending Fanime in general.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Anon on April 13, 2018, 08:59:32 AM
Quote from: AkaiSenkou on April 11, 2018, 02:03:49 AM

lol, use 'em up to the door, once inside, no more cart. Union rules. Plan ahead for once you're at the door. I used to strap all my boxes of stuff together with a ratcheting strap and just drag it by the strap itself or carry the whole thing on my shoulders. And yes, I had a lot of boxes too, and 2-3 people helping.

Quote from: kill3rsushi on April 11, 2018, 11:42:06 AM

If taking the past 2 years as a trend, I'd say about an hour's worth of notice will happen before the registration goes live... lol, sorry Ben, gotta bust your chops a little on that one, it's gotten continually worse every year. I know it's probably not your fault, but somebody has to say something, right?

Good luck to the all sellers this year. I'm fully "retired" from selling and attending Fanime in general.
Both of these are correct.

Hand trucks and dollys are allowed right up to the doors into South Hall, as that's a public street and sidewalk.  Once inside South Hall, however, union rules apply and they can no longer be used.

The most precise answer I can give is that I'll give you as much notice as I have.  We want them to go live pretty soon and I'll try to get the information out as quickly as possible.  Once I know something, I'll get word out as best I can.  Since I want to make sure we have as much time as possible for people to sign up, this may translate into less advance notice.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

AkaiSenkou

Another question, I have is about seller check-in. I am planning on registering with a sub-seller to share the spot with. But problem is that I might not be able to arrive at the same time as him. Is it possible for him to get the spot first and then I check-in once I get there or do we both have to be there at the same time? Does it matter who is primary and who is secondary if the one who shows up has the forms for both of us completely filled? Then considering it would be day 0, would I also need to have my badge present when checking in or just having the forms be enough? Thanks

Zelyhon

Quote from: AkaiSenkou on April 26, 2018, 04:15:17 PM
Another question, I have is about seller check-in. I am planning on registering with a sub-seller to share the spot with. But problem is that I might not be able to arrive at the same time as him. Is it possible for him to get the spot first and then I check-in once I get there or do we both have to be there at the same time? Does it matter who is primary and who is secondary if the one who shows up has the forms for both of us completely filled? Then considering it would be day 0, would I also need to have my badge present when checking in or just having the forms be enough? Thanks
Yes, you will need your badge when you check in.

Typically, we would need both registered sellers to be present at check-in.  If your friend gets there early and gets in line, but you arrive before we actually start check-in, that's no problem, though.  We also definitely need all your items for sale there when you check in.  How late do you expect to be to check-in?

Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Tiger5913

Hi Ben!  Thank you for once again heading up swap meet at Fanime!  Definitely looking forward to going back!  I have a few questions for you:

1) Will we be able to get our badges from a separate registration line, like previous years?
2) My selling partner is planning to purchase his badge at con, which is available starting on Friday.  Does this mean he is unable to sell on Thursday night?
3) My selling partner is medically diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  Is it possible to accommodate his condition with a chair?  Sitting on the floor is too physically painful for his body.

Kyra_Maverick

It was announced on Facebook and Twitter that Swap Meet sign ups will open at 12 noon tomorrow (Saturday 28th)

charlotterosenfield

Very excited, and will be planning on signing up for Thursday. Quick question: my selling partner and I both have disabilities, making it very hard for us to stand for long periods of time. If we bring out own chairs, would we be allowed to use them/sit in them while at our space? We wouldn't need any reserved for us, but we wanted to make sure it would be okay to bring our own!

Thanks, and please let me know whenever you have time! No rush, I can only imagine how busy everyone is with preparations!

Zelyhon

Quote from: Tiger5913 on April 27, 2018, 08:12:36 AM
Hi Ben!  Thank you for once again heading up swap meet at Fanime!  Definitely looking forward to going back!  I have a few questions for you:

1) Will we be able to get our badges from a separate registration line, like previous years?
2) My selling partner is planning to purchase his badge at con, which is available starting on Friday.  Does this mean he is unable to sell on Thursday night?
3) My selling partner is medically diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  Is it possible to accommodate his condition with a chair?  Sitting on the floor is too physically painful for his body.
1). Not this year.  We hopefully have the registration issues of two years ago worked out, so there shouldn't be issues.  If there are problems, I'll work to accommodate based around them.

2). That is correct, your friend could sell with you on Friday, but not Thursday.  You must have a valid FanimeCon Badge to sell.

3). That's fine.  You can bring chairs to sit in in your own space, but you can't use them for displaying anything.  Please note that we won't have chairs available for your use in the booths, though.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on April 27, 2018, 06:22:39 PM
It was announced on Facebook and Twitter that Swap Meet sign ups will open at 12 noon tomorrow (Saturday 28th)
Yes indeed!  Based on previous years, we should have plenty of space for everyone in South Hall.  Please keep in mind that sometimes registration gets hung up and requires manual approval.  I'm likely to get absolutely flooded with e-mails for all the registrations on Saturday, so please have some patience.  It might take me a little while to process them all, but I will get to them.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: charlotterosenfield on April 27, 2018, 08:47:02 PM
Very excited, and will be planning on signing up for Thursday. Quick question: my selling partner and I both have disabilities, making it very hard for us to stand for long periods of time. If we bring out own chairs, would we be allowed to use them/sit in them while at our space? We wouldn't need any reserved for us, but we wanted to make sure it would be okay to bring our own!

Thanks, and please let me know whenever you have time! No rush, I can only imagine how busy everyone is with preparations!
Yup.  You couldn't use them to display any items for sale, but bringing a chair to sit in is just fine.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Ivycat

I need help I can't get pass step 5:
Registration Status:
Badge Information Does Not Match
[update badge information]
It tells me that they don't match which is not true

InsaneDavid

As per the .PDF application form, are cash payments still accepted at the door?  If so, how do you complete the registration form?
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Ivycat

I sent 3 emails and a message on here that I cannot get pass step 5 because it tell me, my information doesn't match. I been waiting all day for a reply I'm so frustrated and scared that I won't get a spot. I need help, I want both nights.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ivycat on April 28, 2018, 08:29:13 PM
I sent 3 emails and a message on here that I cannot get pass step 5 because it tell me, my information doesn't match. I been waiting all day for a reply I'm so frustrated and scared that I won't get a spot. I need help, I want both nights.
Relax.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I get flooded with e-mails on the first day of reg and it takes a while to process them.  Based on previous years in South Hall, we should have plenty of space, so there should be no issues.

I'll be answering e-mails and dealing with the issues in the order I got them.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

kill3rsushi

Thanks for the info, Ben! Got myself and partner all registered and we super psyched to participate this year!

InsaneDavid

Any information on if cash is still accepted as a form of payment for Swap Meet registration, and if so how to complete registration?
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

thepharaohinleather

Hello! I'm sure you're still working on emails, I just want to make sure mine got to you. The name is Melissa Metcalf. No rush at all, my anxiety just keeps telling me it never properly sent to you lol. Thank you very much for helping everyone!
Attendee since 2009

One day I'll cosplay again