Nerd Courting, 2018

Started by Adam Cullen, May 09, 2018, 11:27:11 AM

Adam Cullen

Hello, my name is Adam, and I have been hosting Nerd Courting since 2009.  After last years break, we are returning to Fanime for 2018, and I hope to see you there!  This question comes up every year, so I wanted to address it here first:
THIS IS NOT SPEED DATING.  It has nothing to do with it. 
Nerd Courting is a presentation and discussion about how dating works in the nerd community, and how we can better navigate those waters.  It's about providing useful, functional information, and being a safe place to ask questions about relationships, sexuality, and sex.  There is also a lot of humor, since this can be an awkward subject if taken too seriously.

I take questions throughout the panel, share many personal stories, and will lay down every piece of advice that I can.  There will also be a meet and greet after the panel, where the discussion will continue and be more open in topic.  This usually goes until 6 or 7 in the morning, so be ready! 

I hope to see everyone there! 

Friday, 10pm till 1am, Panels room 1   (18+ only)

-Adam

Lacunacraft

Hey Adam,

I think you will get a lot more responses on facebook than here, but I definitely plan on at least stopping by for a little bit. It is always such a good panel about dating, relationships, and just life in general. This is my 18th Fanimecon and I am always happy to see your panels on the program guide. I look forward to seeing you there!
In Progress............

Adam Cullen

Ah, nice!  This would be my 18th year as well, but I missed last year.  I am going to post on Facebook too, I just didn't want to leave out the folks here who prefer this format.

Lacunacraft

I missed one year as well, but I have been going since 1999, my sister has missed none so this will be her 19th Fanimecon. Crazy to believe how much has changed since then. I hope you saw the pictures someone posted of Fanimecon 2005 in the facebook group. such a nostalgia trip. That was my first year going every day and also my first year going to your panels. you were doing a Cosplay panel with CCRStars and brought up a bunch of props. I will never forget the Knives Drape coat. also the beach ball shoulder is classic. I hope you still have those.

You should hit up Cosplay in America, He is going to be at Fanimecon. He always loves hearing from people who have been going to cons for a long time and people who have been cosplaying that long as well. Speaking of cosplay, Anything you doing for this year?
In Progress............

Adam Cullen

Oh wow, that's way back!  I do still have the Legato coat, but it is like wearing a victorian house on a summer day, so it doesn't come out often.  I don't have any other panels this year.  in 2016, I did Cosplay: Overdoing It one night, Cosplay Fitness the next night, and then Nerd courting on the third night.  I was SO TIRED.  So this year I decided to just do Nerd Courting, as it's the most fun.  Plus, with work taking up more of my time, I have not had time to make any new costumes this year, so I didn't want to do a panel.  I am working on a life sized puppet of Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2 for next year though.  It's going to be a little bonkers, and will be a great costume to feature in an Overdoing It panel again.  There are actually a few of us working on Mass Effect cosplays for next year, so it should be a fun time.

Lacunacraft

Yeah, I Don't blame you for not wearing those old Cosplays as much. They may be amazing, but the materials used were not the best to wear. Of course, that was true of a lot of cosplay back then. It was a lot of making things just work as there was hardly any guides and everyone was just making it up as they went along. Now there is five million guides on everything. I do not miss those times even if looking back on them are wonderfully nostalgic.

I remember only making it to Nerd Courting in 2016 and I could tell you were just beat during it. I mean, you still did amazing, but you just looked incredibly tired and I have no idea how you kept it going until like 3 in the morning. Really wish I had made it to your Cosplay: Overdoing it panel as I am sure that was amazing as well. You have alaways been an amazing propr and costume creator and I look forward to the Mordin Puppet in 2019. I hear you on work making it hard to find time for making Cosplays. I just graduated this last December and am working full time while trying to break into my field of Accounting. Between work and job hunting, I find I have even less time than when I was working and going to school. It's a weird conundrum. You bringing any cosplays at all or are you just chilling this con?
In Progress............

Adam Cullen

Thank you very much!  Yeah, I miss the days when saying "I spent $700 on materials and tools for this costume" was enough to blow people away, instead of being on the low end when it comes to competition.  I'm planning on just bringing Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly for this year.  It's comfortable, packs up easy, and is already ready to go.

Lacunacraft

Nice! My Friend is bringing three this year, His most ever, and he is trying to figure out when and where to wear them depending on the day and weather. Such a first world and odd problem lol. But I see how it can be an issue. I do always wonder how the people who bring a ton handle it, but it is what it is. 

I have never been into the competition side much outside of going to the masquerade when I first started going, but I haven't gone in years. But, the little I do know about it is that it gets incredibly time intensive and expensive. Not sure if you remember this guy, but for a few years running, a guy was walking around in an era accurate full leather armor set made from real leather that he commissioned from an armorer in Texas. It was $10,000 for the suit and his helm alone was $5,000 do ti ti being a one off piece. It was insane. 
In Progress............