2019 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, October 31, 2018, 04:16:17 PM

InsaneDavid

Greetings old school cosplayers!  Last year's Old School Gathering was spectacular, thank you all for your amazing attendance, awesome cosplay, and for once again putting up with me as everyone's favorite middle-aged nanpa boy - Ryo Saeba!  Last year was my third year hosting the gathering and of course I'm doing it again!  Continuing the tradition of the gathering that got me into cosplay, I announce the...

Fanime 2019 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering!

Come celebrate the rich history of Japanese entertainment culture!

This is a hugely open gathering for those of you / us who cosplay as characters from the previous century.  Essentially if your cosplay character appears in Anime, Manga, Video Games or Live Action that began PRIOR to 2001, then this is the gathering for you!  Although I like to have a decidedly Japanese lean to this gathering, it is not completely exclusive.

Day : Friday, May 24th (Day 1).
Time : 6PM - 7PM.
Meeting Place (MP) : Same as Location, Gatherings G3.
Location (L) : Gatherings G3, Downstairs Tiered Platform.

This will be our fourth year hosting! We will be at the same location as 2018 - turn right from the main Convention Center entrance, and head down the stairs to the video rooms on the lower level.  We will be on the downstairs wooden tiered platforms between the stairs and the escalators.

Gatherings G3 is the wooden tiered platform area along the stairs that lead down to the video rooms on the lower level.  As we are more prepared to host at this location, we will be better with crowd management this year, giving cosplayers more space to get in and out of photographs.

Yes, I will actually remember the megaphone!

Cosplayers : If you would like, please post who your cosplay character is, what title it is from and what year you are representing!  As this gathering is a total wildcard mix of different characters, series, studios, and genres - spanning time rather than properties - a definitive list is otherwise not provided.  Part of the fun of the OSCG is seeing just who shows up.

Legal Statement : Fanime will be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Photography Order : If there is any specific setup or shot you would like, just let me know!  This gathering is to celebrate all of us as cosplayers who keep the vintage fire alive.

Group shot.
By era - 1960's (or earlier).
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
By era - 1990's (to 2000).
Characters who use swords / knives / blades / etc.
Characters known to get physical / fighters / brawlers.
Military / rank and file / soldiers.
Characters with psychic powers / spiritual powers / espers / magic / etc.
Pilots / drivers / craft operators / mech jockeys.
Teachers / students / faculty / school attendants / etc.
Characters who use firearms / laser guns / projectile weapons / etc.
Magical girls.
Animals / pets.
Spacefaring characters / those who live off-world.
Robots / androids / synthetic people / mecha.
Characters who are mysterious / shadowy.
Public servants / government organizations / secret organizations.
Characters with secret identities.
Characters in uniform of any type.
Battle teams.
Video game characters.
Characters who are on the run / fugitives / scoundrels / bounty hunters.
Monsters / demons / youma / zombies / etc.
Characters who are technically minded / deductive / intelligent / geniuses.
Great warriors / legendary masters.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Heroes.
Villains.
Heroes vs Villains.
Cosplayers representing the manga version of their character.
Age vs Youth / old characters vs young characters.
Live Action only characters.
Pairings / couples.
Group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).

Series groups (dependent on attendance / cosplayer request).
By studio / production team (dependent on attendance / cosplayer request).
Solo shots (cosplayer request).
Additional requests (cosplayer request).

I am always up for future ideas to add to the list!  A good portion of the photo order is built upon suggestions from previous years.

Facebook Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/612912282458404/

This is an excellent gathering to psyche you up for the convention weekend.  If you're an old school cosplayer, stop by and join us!  Feel free to pop in for a moment to say hi, see some incredible cosplay, pose for some pictures, and continue to prove that just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't awesome!

Thank you so very much.  Let's have another great turnout and continue this wonderful Fanime tradition!

I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

Old School Cosplay Gathering 2019 Photo Gallery Index

Updated Photography Order As It Was Called / Shot (we always improvise a little but here it is for reference) :

Group shot.
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
Magical girls.
Animals / pets.
Battle teams.
Video game characters.
Monsters / demons / youma / zombies / etc.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Heroes.
Heroes and Villains.
Live Action only characters.
Pairings / couples.
Group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).
Request - Spike Spiegel
Request - Characters dressed in red
Request - Outlaw Star

Unofficial gallery of pictures taken by the co-host can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/mokkoricosplay/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1081256252063516

These are high quality, untouched, non-watermarked pictures, essentially everything my co-host shot.  Feel free to tag, share, download, etc. and if you are a cosplayer in a picture you are absolutely welcome to reupload pictures of yourself elsewhere!  If anyone has issue with a specific picture, just let me know here (a PM is fine) and I'll take care of it.

The Official FanimeCon Cosplay Gatherings Department gallery can be found here, as official galleries are uploaded based upon timestamp, the gathering photos will be intermixed with other official FanimeCon photos taken within that hour - so be sure to look through the entire gallery:
https://fanimecon.slickpic.com/albums/FanimeCon-Friday-6pm-7pm-02/?flow

InsaneDavid

Photo Galleries From OSCG 2018 (Previous Year) :

Updated Photography Order As It Was Called / Shot:

By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
Timeline group shot by era / cumulative group shot by era.
Magical girls.
Animals / pets.
Dead / expired / lifeless characters.
Battle teams.
Monsters / demons / youma / etc.
Heroes.
Villains.
Heroes vs Villains.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Video game characters.
Pairings / couples.
Requests.
Final group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).

Unofficial Gallery of pictures taken by the co-host can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/496398453882635/photos/?tab=album&album_id=836074006581743

These are high quality, untouched, non-watermarked pictures, essentially everything she shot.  Feel free to tag, share, download, etc. and if you are a cosplayer in a picture you are absolutely welcome to reupload pictures of yourself elsewhere!  If anyone has issue with a specific picture, just let me know here (a PM is fine) and I'll take care of it.  We were without an official FanimeCon photographer this year, so I suppose our photos have become the "official" photos.

ephemient via Fanime Forums, Old School Gathering Gallery -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EwahLoiM7ompvnzH3
Thank you for taking pictures at the gathering!

bahamutknightzero via Fanime Forums, Fanime 2018 Gallery -
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10160530130130296.1073741850.828005295&type=1&l=bce098e028

Studio Stormfalcon, FanimeCon 2018-05-25, Old School Gathering beginning on page 8 -
https://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography/FanimeCon-2018-05-25/

OSCG 2018 Fanime Forums Thread:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,21285.0.html

Angelx624

I will be there as Sheeta from Laputa/Castle in the Sky! ^^

Or Kagome, depends on my schedule. :)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on November 10, 2018, 06:53:50 PM

Yay! Either would be awesome.

I was planning on something new for this year but changing careers shuffled it around a bit so we may bring back something older as I don't think it'll be ready in time.  We have one other new cosplay well under way, and while it falls into the Old School time range, it's too bulky to host a gathering in - so it's for another day instead.  :D

I'll be more active concerning the gathering beginning in mid January or so.

Angelx624

Quote from: InsaneDavid on December 29, 2018, 05:34:32 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on November 10, 2018, 06:53:50 PM

Yay! Either would be awesome.

I was planning on something new for this year but changing careers shuffled it around a bit so we may bring back something older as I don't think it'll be ready in time.  We have one other new cosplay well under way, and while it falls into the Old School time range, it's too bulky to host a gathering in - so it's for another day instead.  :D

I'll be more active concerning the gathering beginning in mid January or so.
Yeah, I'll be more active on here after the new year(and after Sac-Anime). XD

And I'm sorry about that. :x But can't wait to see the new cosplay that you plan to bring even if it's not for the gathering! :D
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Good afternoon old schoolers!

With 2019 underway and FanimeCon housing registration opening in just a few days, we're formally starting up the 2019 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering event page.

This will be our fourth year hosting this long-running FanimeCon event that celebrates anime (and manga, and video game, and live-action) legacy. 2019 is a truly special year as FanimeCon is celebrating a legacy of its own, the 25th year since it began.

If your cosplay character appears in Anime, Manga, Video Games or Live Action that began PRIOR to 2001, then this is the gathering for you! Although I like to have a decidedly Japanese lean to this gathering, it is not completely exclusive.

2019 gatherings are not yet official via FanimeCon, although our gathering traditionally takes place Friday evening. That should hold the same for this year, either 5pm or 6pm on Fanime Friday.

If you are interested in this gathering, please respond to the Facebook Event Page to stay up-to-date with information as FanimeCon gets closer. The corresponding Fanime Forums thread will be updated in tandem, as is usual.

Thank you so much, we hope to have another massive turnout and continue this wonderful Fanime tradition!

Eri Kagami

Looking forward to this one again.
Maybe I'll wear Lady Oscar this time...

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Eri Kagami on January 15, 2019, 07:00:33 AM
Looking forward to this one again.
Maybe I'll wear Lady Oscar this time...

Outstanding!

I'm still going back and forth on whether to move to an outside location or stay where we were last year.  I'm leaning more toward having it in the same place as then I can keep it at 6pm (which has always been the biggest request from attendees), don't have to worry about poor lighting (sun behind the Hilton tower at that time), and we're indoors (erratic weather last Fanime wasn't an issue because of this).

Since I'll actually have the megaphone for 2019, I think I'll be able to push the crowd back a few more feet so we're not all smashed up against the stair platforms like in 2018.

Angelx624

Whatever works best for the gathering! I feel keeping it indoors will result in less confusion(I hope).
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on January 15, 2019, 07:39:40 PM
Whatever works best for the gathering! I feel keeping it indoors will result in less confusion(I hope).

After thinking about it more, that's what I'm going to do.  We plan on using G3 once again (same as 2018) but with a better handle on crowd control early on.

I've also amended the top of the photography list to start with a full group shot, then do by era, and to skip the timeline picture going forward - each decade should have their own shot, which also allows more space for the (generally larger) 80's and 90's groups, and more rest for the 60's and 70's groups that are generally up there most of the time.

Angelx624

Yeah, that sounds good!!

And speaking of old school, I'm hoping to take over the Rumiko Takahashi gathering, and plan on having it on Friday, as well(but an earlier time), so that any cosplayers cosplaying from her works can attend both gatherings that day!
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

CosplayDevotee

The Outlaw Star gang will be back again and with hopefully even more members! As it stands now, we are looking at almost a complete cast give or take 2 characters.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on January 17, 2019, 09:01:08 PM
Yeah, that sounds good!!

And speaking of old school, I'm hoping to take over the Rumiko Takahashi gathering, and plan on having it on Friday, as well(but an earlier time), so that any cosplayers cosplaying from her works can attend both gatherings that day!

I saw that!  I hope you get a big group! :)

Quote from: CosplayDevotee on January 18, 2019, 04:29:19 PM
The Outlaw Star gang will be back again and with hopefully even more members! As it stands now, we are looking at almost a complete cast give or take 2 characters.

Awesome!  Your group has become a staple of the Old School Cosplay Gathering.  ;D

And a copy of the Facebook Event Page post for today (not doing weekly posts yet but I wanted to make sure all info was mirrored as usual) :

Good morning old schoolers!

A bit of an update now that Fanime is kinda of waking up from its hibernation.  After some thought concerning gathering location I've decided to keep it in the same location as 2018, the G3 video room stairs.  This means we will also be able to utilize the same time as 2018, 6pm.  Of course, locations and times should still be considered TBA until Cosplay Gatherings Department begins their gathering registration process.

We're better prepared to handle the crowd this year (the observers, not the cosplayers - cosplayers have always been great at this gathering) and will try to ensure there is more space for cosplayers to both be able to get up on the stair platforms as well as move off without being absorbed into those watching the gathering.  I've also reworked the photography order for better flow and to allow everyone to get a few great shots.  More space from better crowd control also means I'll be more mobile to help set up shots so we get even better pictures of the gathering.  And as always, in addition to any official Fanime photographer we get, my co-host will be photographing the gathering and that full set of untouched full resolution pictures will be made available the week after Fanime.

As always, if you ever have any questions or concerns about the gathering (before or at-con), just let me know.  I will address them myself and bring them to the attention of Cosplay Gatherings Department as needed.  Do note, I am not Fanime staff but will assist in contacting them.  I'm not as active on Facebook as I once was but I do check in every few days, same with the FanimeCon Forums, so I'm easy to reach.

InsaneDavid

With FanimeCon 2019 about four months away, we're going to begin our tradition of weekly posts - in other words it's the usual anime opening and endings posts on the weekends.  However to keep it from getting totally out of hand this year, we're only going to do one a week until closer to Fanime.  This is also because now we host a Fanime panel / game (which we have submitted again for 2019) centered around identifying what year an anime series began based upon the opening sequence.

There is a gathering update this week however!  We have updated the photography list once again, consolidating some groupings and setting the order up to be easier to move through.  With that, here is the old school anime opening for this weekend, a series that is celebrating its 30th anime anniversary this year!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Ranma 1/2 (1989)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q
*** 30th Anime Anniversary ***

Speaking of Ranma, there is also a Rumiko Takahashi gathering being planned for FanimeCon 2019 - https://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,21574.0.html - we are not hosting that one but do check it out!

Angelx624

Thank you for linking to the Rumiko gathering!! ^^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on February 09, 2019, 08:31:04 PM
Thank you for linking to the Rumiko gathering!! ^^

No problem!  I always try to cross promote other gatherings that old school cosplayers may attend or be interested in.

InsaneDavid

Nothing new to report this week other than we are getting positively drenched in Fanime's backyard.  Cosplay Gatherings Department has stated on the Fanime forums that while the gathering form is not yet live, it is being worked on.  For this weekend, here's a series that began the same year that Fanime began.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's! Macross 7 (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_rkhnjZzc

InsaneDavid

Gathering has been officially submitted.

Same day / time / location as last year.  (Friday, 6PM - 7PM, Gatherings G3).

InsaneDavid

Good evening old schoolers!

With the tentative FanimeCon 2019 Cosplay Gatherings list now out, we have been confirmed for our usual day at our usual time.  I'll be way more active from this week forward, so if you have any questions about the gathering, please feel free to send them my way.

Please spread the word!