How do you make friends at a convention?

Started by smider, April 13, 2019, 11:23:12 PM

smider

Well, I went to this convention multiple times and I noticed last year that it would be nice to make new friends. It would be awesome if you could make a friend and talk to them about all the possible anime topics. Not trying to be weird but wouldn't it be nice to know that you have a friend? -i lost myself- ??? but it's always hard to meet a new friend there for some reason, i guess it's because you don't know how they'll react...

cong ty giup viec nha quan 1 gia re

CandyGirl

It is not usually recommended to attempt this  :'(

Apart from cosplay gatherings, unless you are willing to approach potential friends and manage to obtain contact info (like Instagram name) in a single meeting it is not likely to happen. Most people come to conventions with friends or to meet friends they already have. It may feel quite difficult to approach someone who appears to be with a large group of friends already. However, you might try posting on the Facebook page so you can make friends prior to the convention and have people to meet there.

If you do go to cosplay gatherings, that is the easiest method. At that point you know you already have something in common with the person and thus an easy conversation. As long as you are polite, there should be no issues, just remember the potential friend may be just as or even more nervous than you. You do not have to be cosplaying to attend the gatherings! Just make sure you actually do follow up with people once you get the contact info (or remember to actually tag them in photos) or have a plan to meet again at a certain panel or event. It is really no different from making friends in any other situation, you have to put in effort either way. If you are shy, go ahead and practice a few conversation starters and make sure to smile when appropriate and make occasional eye contact. Keep in mind your body language and look approachable.

Make sure your hygiene is on point too. I have totally not texted people back over bad breath-- you want to make a good first (only) impression. You could also try various methods to draw people to you like playing games or something.

Happy hunting!
..::Cos-list::..
What's a cosplay lol

Love Sign Master Spark

Be pleasant, have decent hygiene, and have ways to have fun even if alone so you're not completely dependent on others to enjoy a convention.  Those are things you can control.  One has no control over whether another person there is open to making new friends or even if a person is friendly.  Some are, some aren't; it's a numbers game.  And sometimes someone who would be open may not be at the moment they're approached for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with you.  I usually find myself solo and while I feel a traveling companion would make a more fun experience, all other factors being equal; I have no expectation to come out with a new friendship that lasts beyond the closing ceremonies.

rawien

Quote from: smider on April 13, 2019, 11:23:12 PM
Well, I went to this convention multiple times and I noticed last year that it would be nice to make new friends. It would be awesome if you could make a friend and talk to them about all the possible anime topics. Not trying to be weird but wouldn't it be nice to know that you have a friend? -i lost myself- ??? but it's always hard to meet a new friend there for some reason, i guess it's because you don't know how they'll react...
Making friends is super hard, I get that.

Long story short I moved out here a few years ago and came to Fanime and realized it's hard to start up a conversation aside from a hello. Thinking back to my past experiences - gatherings and even local events can help with making and keeping new friends. (NorCal gatherings on Facebook has quarterly events throughout the Bay Area so that might be something to look into...)

Best of luck hun! I definitely feel your pain!

The Sea-Faring Otaku

Quote from: Love Sign Master Spark on April 19, 2019, 08:38:10 PM
Be pleasant, have decent hygiene, and have ways to have fun even if alone so you're not completely dependent on others to enjoy a convention.  Those are things you can control.  One has no control over whether another person there is open to making new friends or even if a person is friendly.  Some are, some aren't; it's a numbers game.  And sometimes someone who would be open may not be at the moment they're approached for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with you.  I usually find myself solo and while I feel a traveling companion would make a more fun experience, all other factors being equal; I have no expectation to come out with a new friendship that lasts beyond the closing ceremonies.

^THIS

But in all seriousness, making friends, even as an adult, can be tough. But it's not impossible. It's really all about being polite, friendly, enthusiastic and acting with tact.

On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

MrTimtastic

Hi! I feel that it's pretty easy to make friends especially at this con. If you're able to be open to anything like attending events such as gatherings, panels, or workshops, you'll have every opportunity to do so. Just a friendly hello or chatting up about common interests can get the ball rolling. If anything, I'm always open to meeting new folks as long as the person is respectful

Sora

I generally start a conversation with people when I'm waiting for things (like in line) or when I see someone by themselves, kind of thing. But yes, gatherings are a good place to start a conversation.
"Don't give me any orders."

Giantsgiants

You should join an online community and get to know some people beforehand, and then arrange to meet up at the con. There are a few links to Discord servers floating around here.

You might have better results, but trying to make friends on the fly when I'm there never really pans out for me, although I attribute that to my own shyness and introvertedness.