Chain Prop Question

Started by Relsek, April 30, 2019, 02:35:04 PM

Relsek

I see that the rules forbid "long metal chains" but what constitutes this?
My costume has a whip that is supposed to have a metal chain.
The end piece of the whip will be made out of plastic.
I want to use a 4 foot or shorter piece of lightweight metal chain like porch swing chain or similar.
Thoughts on whether this will cause problems?

Thank you for your time.

The Sea-Faring Otaku

Quote from: Relsek on April 30, 2019, 02:35:04 PM
I see that the rules forbid "long metal chains" but what constitutes this?
My costume has a whip that is supposed to have a metal chain.
The end piece of the whip will be made out of plastic.
I want to use a 4 foot or shorter piece of lightweight metal chain like porch swing chain or similar.
Thoughts on whether this will cause problems?

Thank you for your time.

Hmmm...this is tough because I imagine you're going to be having it coiled up for the most part while inside the con, but have it out for meetups/photos, correct?

The easiest way to avoid any potential problems would be to find some plastic chain that can be used instead of metal (something gray or that has a chromed finish, etc). If that's not possible, an alternative that might work is to secure the whip in a coil that can't be taken off easily, like using a clear zip tie that you can cover with a strap or buckle. Something that shows that it's unable to be taken out while inside that's also not too big to be seen. That usually will work. Then again, it also can depend on who is working the peace bonding and what their interpretation of the rules are. 4' of metal chain might not seem long, but I always tend to ere on the side of "If you have to ask, it's probably not allowed". But that's just me.

Good Luck!

P.s....I'm going to take a guess. Castlevania?
On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

Relsek

You guessed right, I'm doing Trevor Belmont.
I looked into plastic chains but they either look super hokey or are too big.
I'll bring some zip ties along with me just in case but hopefully something lightweight won't cause an issue with the peace bonding group.
I figured restriction would be for standard metal chains that could be used as a weapon on their own.

Thanks for the input!