FanimeCon: Participate, Join, Create > Cosplay! Construction, Tips, Gatherings, Advice

2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering

<< < (3/22) > >>

sylveoncos:
Tokyo mew mew began putting out copies of its manga in 2001, would that still be included in this gathering? It was being written in 2000. I’m thinking not because it didnt end until 2003, but i thought i would check just in case :)

InsaneDavid:

--- Quote from: Cyanide_Exploder on January 17, 2020, 07:22:26 PM ---Depending on what I can put together, I could show up this year as Ichiro Ogami from Sakura Wars. If not, then I'll return as Shinji Ikari from NGE.
--- End quote ---

Either would be great!  Crazy times we live in, as the first Sakura Wars game ~just~ had a fan translation released.

--- Quote from: The Sea-Faring Otaku on January 28, 2020, 09:43:29 PM ---Our Outlaw Star crew will be back, yet again! The best gathering at Fanime!
--- End quote ---

Your group is awesome, thank you for attending over the years!!

--- Quote from: Angelx624 on February 09, 2020, 07:35:25 PM ---There is a possibility I might be bringing Sheeta instead, but the blue dress instead of the other outfit.

But will know for sure closer to the con. ^^ (If I bring Sheeta, I'll likely bring Satsuki to AX)

--- End quote ---

All good either way.  Fanime seemed so far away but only three months to go now!

--- Quote from: sylveoncos on February 16, 2020, 05:44:39 PM ---Tokyo mew mew began putting out copies of its manga in 2001, would that still be included in this gathering? It was being written in 2000. I’m thinking not because it didnt end until 2003, but i thought i would check just in case :)
--- End quote ---

The golden rule for the gathering is the series / game / property had to be RELEASED before 2001.  That said, although collected volumes of Tokyo Mew Mew weren't published until 2001, per my research it was first published serialized in Nakayoshi in late 2000... so it ~just~ makes the cut, so you're good to go!

Note: while I REALLY try to ensure we're all pre-2001, I don't narc and research every series / character. However I do also host a vintage anime panel (Vintage Anime Name That Year - returning for two hours on Saturday morning for Fanime 2020), so I always look into series that people bring up for possible use there.  :)

sylveoncos:
Thank you so much for the reply! :)

Angelx624:
I do make sure to research that the series/movie/etc my cosplay is from was released before 2001 if it's not obvious or if I don't know for sure beforehand. :3

InsaneDavid:

--- Quote from: sylveoncos on February 27, 2020, 11:05:28 AM ---Thank you so much for the reply! :)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome!

--- Quote from: Angelx624 on February 27, 2020, 04:14:52 PM ---I do make sure to research that the series/movie/etc my cosplay is from was released before 2001 if it's not obvious or if I don't know for sure beforehand. :3
--- End quote ---

Thank you!  I have learned about so many more anime and manga series through the past five years hosting this gathering - through discussions at con, here, and on the Facebook event page - than I ever would have otherwise.

Additionally there are so many who have no idea a series they love or cosplay from is from before 2001 - Wangan Midnight is a series that comes to mind as an example.  Sure the anime is from 2007 and video games based upon it continue to be released to this day but the manga began in 1990 - predating even Initial D! (another series that gets overlooked as old school)

-----

As for gathering updates, the gathering has been officially submitted for the usual day / time (Friday, 6PM).  Now that the form is active, I'll be more active both here and on the Facebook event page.  (yeah, that means it'll be time for the traditional anime openings soon.......)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version