FanimeCon 2022 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: 2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering  (Read 37575 times)

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2022, 12:48:32 PM »

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Well here we are, the month of May and FanimeCon just over the horizon.  All systems are still go for the gathering but do remember that although we will be outside this year, we will still be on convention property and need to abide by FanimeCon and Convention Center regulations and requirements.  We're going to have a lot of space where we're located this year but as always, a core of this gathering is that you - the cosplayers - feel comfortable.  This is going to be the same during gathering pictures - if you're not comfortable with getting close, then don't - that's fine! - and we will accommodate that.  If you have any questions or concerns about the gathering, just let me know!!

Of course this final run-up is when I like to start posting anime OPs of the series' that were biggest during the 90's anime boom in the west - that amazing time when anime fandom really began to explode and become more mainstream.  Here's one that was huge over here but not so much in Japan - strange how that goes sometimes!

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Trigun (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OxFSy8G5wk
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2022, 10:58:57 PM »

Good late evening old schoolers!

I always like to remind con-goers that the Old School gathering is also open to those who cosplay from Pre-2001 video games.  In fact the first year I attended the gathering we were cosplaying as Taizo Hori and Masuyo Tobi from the classic arcade games Dig Dug and Baraduke.  As long as it's a game character from before 2001, it's good to go!

With that in mind, how about an OP from a video game that looks as if it were based on a vintage anime series.... but isn't?  70's Robot Anime Geppy-X was a 1999 Japan-only PlayStation side scrolling shooter framed around being an homage to 1970's super robot anime.  Spanning four discs, it didn't just go for a visual aesthetic in its gameplay.  Each stage features an opening and ending sequence, animated insert scenes, tons of voice work, eyecatches that lead into commercials for merchandise related to the "show," parody advertisements for other anime series that don't exist, and a bunch of songs throughout.  Speaking of songs, they are performed by Isao Sasaki, who sung so many old school themes including Space Battleship Yamato, Neo Human Casshern, and Getter Robo.

It's all pretty crazy!  The developers basically made a 70's mecha anime series, complete with all the trimmings, in video game form.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  70's Robot Anime Geppy-X (1999)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8_IPJ60B3Y

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Fanime weekend is closing in fast!  Remember we are going to be located at a different spot this year - OUTSIDE and around the corner at THE SLAB - Gatherings G7.  Consult the map in the second forum post / pinned Facebook post for directions!

Going to move to posing an OP here and there until the convention weekend.  How about the anime adaptation of the best-selling shojo manga series of all time?

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Hana Yori Dango / Boys Over Flowers (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul9WDDBBrzM

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 11:34:38 PM »

Good very late evening old schoolers!

How about one for the late night crowd tonight?  Kinda crazy to think a staple of anime such as this first aired 41 years ago!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Urusei Yatsura (1981)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Jiic05C0M

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 35 queries.