electricity-lambs

FanimeCon 2020 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2021 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering  (Read 3092 times)

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Yes, I'm still keeping it rolling here.  This week's old school OP is Martian Successor Nadesico, a series I'm not very familiar with but the opening is super nostalgic.  Why?  Because it seemed to play as a preview before so many anime releases of the era that I bought or rented!  ...I can't be the only one. 

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Martian Successor Nadesico (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XphjF-fHZkM

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »

Good late evening old schoolers!

Going with a fan favorite for today, the rare case of both the dub and sub being equally as enjoyable as one another.  Kyatto Ninden Teyandee will be more familiar to those in the West as the series that was reworked into Samurai Pizza Cats.  While both shows are full of off the wall humor and antics, the Japanese original is a bit more structured than the flat out comical localized release - just a bit.  Either way the series is great fun and just as enjoyable now as it was when it first aired.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Kyatto Ninden Teyandee (1990)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-jelS4x-hI

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »

Good morning old schoolers!

Closing out June today, I hope everyone is doing okay - not going too crazy with the adverse weather we've been having in many parts of the country lately.  Also hope everyone is safe and taking whatever required precautions are necessary for whatever you need to do day-to-day.

This week's OP is a great one from an outstanding series, it's also an OP that looks way more modern in my opinion than its 1989 vintage.  Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl! is an adaptation of the long-running manga series that began in 1986, about young Yawara Inokuma and her reluctant rise in the world of competitive judo.  The anime ran for a total of 124 episodes and the first 40 episodes were actually released subtitled in English by AnimEigo in 2008, although no other releases followed and it has long since went out of print.  The entire series has been fan translated and is out there but it would be awesome if a company such as Discotek could rescue this one and give it the English subtitled release it deserves.  A judo anime may not sound all that interesting at first but definitely check this one out if able!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl! (1989)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXJrkxQeAE

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »

Good evening old schoolers!

As tomorrow is Independence Day, I figured I'd share an obscure one that's tangentially related.  Eagle Sam is one of two anime series that were based on Olympic mascots, in this case for the 1984 Summer Olympics held in Los Angeles.  The anime series began the year before and, if you can believe it, ran for 51 episodes.  Yes, this wasn't some little promotional OVA, it was a full on series that ran for a year on Japanese television.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Eagle Sam (1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZuuIP3Sdk

Angelx624

• Post in the Shell: SAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2020, 12:27:45 AM »

We will see what next year brings, but for now I'm planning either Sheeta or Satsuki at this point.

Gotta represent Ghibli 8) I miss that person who had the giant robot cosplay from Castle in the Sky! :(
Cosplay List:
Reno (FF7)
Sheeta or Satsuki
Aerith (FF7)
Utatane Piko (Vocaloid)
Kairi (KH3)
Mink (DMMD) - MAYBE

The rest is TBA for 2021

(ノ•ω•)ノ Yay!!

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »

We will see what next year brings, but for now I'm planning either Sheeta or Satsuki at this point.

Gotta represent Ghibli 8) I miss that person who had the giant robot cosplay from Castle in the Sky! :(

Agreed, who knows how things will be next spring but until it gets closer I'm going to remain optimistic.  I miss the guy with the giant robot too!

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »

Good evening old schoolers!

Tonight's old school OP is from my favorite Sailor Moon ... anything.  In my opinion nothing in the vast series ever topped the Sailor Moon S anime.  In fact undoing the Sailor Moon S anime ending at the beginning of Sailor Stars is one reason (among many) I really don't care for the final series.  Interestingly, Sailor Moon S had a sequel of sorts - a Super Famicom RPG that takes place shortly after the conclusion of S and incorporates characters and plot from both the anime and manga that came before.  It was recently given a revised fan translation and is well worth checking out if you haven't yet.  For FanimeCon 2018 and 2019 we cosplayed as origin story episode Haruka (professional driving suit) and Michiru (white and teal school uniform) - unique outfits only seen in the flashback portion of episode 106.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUnr-qmqKAA

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 25 queries.