FanimeCon 2020 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 2021 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering  (Read 7504 times)

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Well the calendar says October but the weather outside sure feels like May or June - it's giving me Fanime vibes.  This week's OP is one of the coolest ever created in my opinion, from a very overlooked OVA series.  The thing is Iria: Zeiram the Animation shouldn't be all that overlooked, especially with it aired on the SciFi Channel during their annual anime festival days.  A prequel of sorts to the live action Zieram films (of which the first is a lot of fun and the second is just kinda boring), the series boasts some of the most unique environmental and character designs to ever grace anime.  In fact the only thing I don't like about Iria is that is just sort of ends as if there's another episode to come.  Granted, the live action films are supposed to follow but they don't quite match up.

As for the opening, it is freaking beautiful - and not just from an animation and design standpoint.  The opening theme, the way the visuals are cut to the music - the backdrops, the patterns, the lighting, the effects - it's all amazing.  No other anime series looks like Iria - a mash-up of Eastern Europe and Western Asia, the future and the past, technology and tradition.  If you haven't seen this one, it's a very short watch that is still unequaled over 25 years later.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Iria: Zeiram the Animation (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZuBUw_F68

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2020, 06:29:32 PM »

Good evening old schoolers!

How about another hauntingly beautiful opening for this week?  Armor Hunter Mellowlink is an Armored Troopers VOTOMS spinoff, that unlike most VOTOMS spinoffs and sequel series, is actually really good and stands on its own.  Unfortunately it was not included in the recent VOTOMS Blu-ray releases, although pretty much everything else was.  Kind of a shame, since I doubt it would do very well if released on its own, simply because of limited recognition outside of Japan.  The entire series has been fansubbed however.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Armor Hunter Mellowlink (1988)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySnuPN_3Xts

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 25 queries.