FanimeCon 2021 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering  (Read 17638 times)

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »

Good evening old schoolers,

How about a relatively unknown one with a cool style, awesome opening theme, and a very small animation budget?  Violinist of Hameln had a very long running manga series which spawned this loose anime adaptation.  Unfortunately the budget was so tight that the animators were forced to use still images for massive parts of it all.  Perhaps a further condensed rewrite could have gone better?  Who knows.  There is also a very charming Super Famicom (Super Nintendo) game that has a wonderful English fan translation.  It's an action platform puzzler unlike anything else, definitely worth checking out.  The entire anime series has also been fansubbed but this can be a hard one to find these days.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Violinist of Hameln (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d7wM6A1KtY

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2021, 06:03:28 PM »

Going with a Go Nagai classic today, perhaps not his most influential work but that's only because so much of his work was incredibly influential.  The original Cutey Honey (and yes, I'll always spell Cutey that way) anime series is a lot of fun and far more approachable for the masses as it's toned down quite a bit from the original manga - which is also available in English!  There are a bunch of sequels and re-imaginings of the lovely warrior but I still totally recommend the original anime - even if New Cutey Honey is my personal favorite.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Cutey Honey (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCX77Je16fk

Amanojaku

• Rider of High Horses
  • Maria-sama ga Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2021, 02:42:12 PM »

Going with a Go Nagai classic today, perhaps not his most influential work but that's only because so much of his work was incredibly influential.  The original Cutey Honey (and yes, I'll always spell Cutey that way) anime series is a lot of fun and far more approachable for the masses as it's toned down quite a bit from the original manga - which is also available in English!  There are a bunch of sequels and re-imaginings of the lovely warrior but I still totally recommend the original anime - even if New Cutey Honey is my personal favorite.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Cutey Honey (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCX77Je16fk

I picked up the manga not long ago and was quite surprised by some of the content lol.

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2021, 05:58:38 PM »

I picked up the manga not long ago and was quite surprised by some of the content lol.

Yeah, it is kind of a trip compared to the anime series.  In retrospect while it seems like they got away with a lot in the anime, compared to the manga it's super tame.  The action and comedy used to make up the difference basically reset the template for action shojo anime from then on, so I suppose it all worked out in the end.

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »

Good evening old schoolers!

This week I have an OP that I am very excited to share.  Grimm Masterpiece Theater is a collection of classic fairy tales adapted from the collected works of the Brothers Grimm.  The stories generally follow the folk tales as they are known, with a few alterations and twists as the Grimm stories have been subject to from the beginning.

While this may seem like an obscure series to be excited about, it's also one that a lot of us have probably had exposure to.  Grimm Masterpiece Theater and its companion series (New Grimm Masterpiece Theater) were adapted for American audiences under the title "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" and rather famously aired on Nickelodeon for many, many, many years throughout the 1990's.  The English adaptation has so many classic anime English voice actors throughout, it really is kind of a wonderful snapshot of quality syndication dubbing of the time.  This includes a few appearances of my personal favorite voice actor, Mike Reynolds.

I'm presenting this one today as Discotek Media is going to release the first series on SD Blu-ray at the end of May!  In addition to finally having the original Japanese version with English subtitles, it will also have the entire dub version of each episode that had an English release.  While I'll have to wait until the second volume is released for Bearskin, my favorite Grimm story, this is one of those "it'll never be released" series that we're going to be getting in just a few months.  I am overly excited about this one.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Grimm Masterpiece Theater (1987)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVaXJMcMyP0

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »

Closing out March with a classic space opera and a cornerstone of the Leiji Matsumoto universe - Space Pirate Captain Harlock.  While I always recommend Galaxy Express 999 as an outstanding 1970's anime, admittedly it does run really long and it's easy to lose interest.  Harlock on the other hand gives you that same type of downtrodden adventure with a third less of the episodes.  I actually watched the whole series again a couple years ago, two episodes a night, on a free streaming channel and truly enjoyed it beginning to end.  I think spreading it out like that - how it was intended and broadcast - did a lot to really enhance that.  Give this one a shot, it's really enjoyable and filled with iconic characters.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBOlg_xNcU

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2021, 06:00:06 PM »

Starting this month off with a series that premiered 24 years ago today.  Revolutionary Girl Utena borrows a little here and there from shojo of the past and builds upon it with a more modern focus and unique approach - both serious and unapologetically over the top all at once.  This was obviously a very important series during the 90's anime boom in the West - both for anime and manga.  It truly was a revolutionary series, following a lineage first first began in 1953 with Osamu Tezuka's Princess Knight but expanding upon what came before to smash through into a genre of its own.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCys68ELpg

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2021, 10:46:06 PM »

Good late evening old schoolers!

A bit of a random pick for this week, a series that began as a strategy RPG / dating sim / visual novel and pretty much exploded into all Japanese media.  The Sakura Taisen TV series is an adaptation of the first video game and is reasonably entertaining - also an accessible place to start if the property looks interesting to you.  Should also be noted that the original 1996 Saturn game has been fan translated fairly recently.

Celebrating An Era - 2000!  Sakura Taisen TV (2000)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71L-EEB7yJE

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 11:31:49 PM »

Good very late evening old schoolers!

Another random pick this week but one that is a series I very much enjoy.  Galaxy Express 999 is a long series, which can make it seem like it drags a bit here or there for some.  I've always thought that was kind of the point however, as the journey shows what a genuinely screwed up and dark place the galaxy is - and it only gets worse the further Tetsuro and Maetel travel.  Seriously, after awhile I just want to see them catch a break and spend one layover on one calm planet.  The entire series has been released in wonderful quality, subtitled in English, in three box sets and can be purchased currently.  If the runtime is too daunting, an alternate telling of the series is featured as the first Galaxy Express 999 movie - which ran on the Sci-Fi Channel at one point, exposing GE999 to the mainstream during the 90's anime boom.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Galaxy Express 999 (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-b_iNrQaQ

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 41 queries.