2022 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, December 03, 2019, 07:56:18 PM

InsaneDavid

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Well here we are, the month of May and FanimeCon just over the horizon.  All systems are still go for the gathering but do remember that although we will be outside this year, we will still be on convention property and need to abide by FanimeCon and Convention Center regulations and requirements.  We're going to have a lot of space where we're located this year but as always, a core of this gathering is that you - the cosplayers - feel comfortable.  This is going to be the same during gathering pictures - if you're not comfortable with getting close, then don't - that's fine! - and we will accommodate that.  If you have any questions or concerns about the gathering, just let me know!!

Of course this final run-up is when I like to start posting anime OPs of the series' that were biggest during the 90's anime boom in the west - that amazing time when anime fandom really began to explode and become more mainstream.  Here's one that was huge over here but not so much in Japan - strange how that goes sometimes!

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Trigun (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OxFSy8G5wk
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

Good late evening old schoolers!

I always like to remind con-goers that the Old School gathering is also open to those who cosplay from Pre-2001 video games.  In fact the first year I attended the gathering we were cosplaying as Taizo Hori and Masuyo Tobi from the classic arcade games Dig Dug and Baraduke.  As long as it's a game character from before 2001, it's good to go!

With that in mind, how about an OP from a video game that looks as if it were based on a vintage anime series.... but isn't?  70's Robot Anime Geppy-X was a 1999 Japan-only PlayStation side scrolling shooter framed around being an homage to 1970's super robot anime.  Spanning four discs, it didn't just go for a visual aesthetic in its gameplay.  Each stage features an opening and ending sequence, animated insert scenes, tons of voice work, eyecatches that lead into commercials for merchandise related to the "show," parody advertisements for other anime series that don't exist, and a bunch of songs throughout.  Speaking of songs, they are performed by Isao Sasaki, who sung so many old school themes including Space Battleship Yamato, Neo Human Casshern, and Getter Robo.

It's all pretty crazy!  The developers basically made a 70's mecha anime series, complete with all the trimmings, in video game form.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  70's Robot Anime Geppy-X (1999)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8_IPJ60B3Y

InsaneDavid

Fanime weekend is closing in fast!  Remember we are going to be located at a different spot this year - OUTSIDE and around the corner at THE SLAB - Gatherings G7.  Consult the map in the second forum post / pinned Facebook post for directions!

Going to move to posing an OP here and there until the convention weekend.  How about the anime adaptation of the best-selling shojo manga series of all time?

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Hana Yori Dango / Boys Over Flowers (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul9WDDBBrzM

InsaneDavid

Good very late evening old schoolers!

How about one for the late night crowd tonight?  Kinda crazy to think a staple of anime such as this first aired 41 years ago!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Urusei Yatsura (1981)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Jiic05C0M

InsaneDavid

ONE WEEK from RIGHT NOW the Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering will be getting ready to get underway after three years!  We are so looking forward to bringing this gathering back to FanimeCon.  Remember, we're at LOCATION G7 this year - CONSULT THE MAP!! Hopefully, in the years that follow, we can move back inside but for 2022 we're tucked over onto The Slab at G7.  We know things will be different this year, we know we'll have to be a bit more spread out, but we will be there.

A couple changes this year -

1. Mask + megaphone just doesn't work out, so I've went ahead and made large flipcards that state each photography setup.  Hopefully this will keep me from losing my voice just before our big two hour Vintage Anime panel the next morning. (which you should also check out, Saturday - Panels 3 - 10am)

2. Pose counts will be shorter.  How close you get is about how comfortable you are (PLEASE respect your fellow cosplayers - especially at this gathering) but the idea is to keep us close together for pictures in shorter bursts.  This means we want to get people set for the picture quickly, strike the pose, get to the countdown faster, and then spread back out.  So if you're a photog following the gathering, we're going to go a little quicker, probably 3-5 second counts rather than 5-10 as in years previous.

3. More time for solo / small groups at the end.  Location G7 really does allow us to be a bit more isolated and protected, allowing space for cosplayers to step to the side and then get into position easier.  This should help us roll through the photography order faster, which means more time after for solo / small group photos utilizing our location.

4. Ribbon for every cosplayer!  Okay, this is no different than in 2019 but we do have a new ribbon.  At the end of the gathering we will be giving out badge ribbons and business cards.  The business card will have the location where an UNOFFICIAL gallery of all gathering pictures will be hosted a week after Fanime (taken by my co-host and myself).  We want to make sure EVERY COSPLAYER in the gathering is able to get that and a ribbon.  If you need to bounce before the end, just come up to me and I'll give you a card and ribbon.

5. REMEMBER WE ARE IN A NEW LOCATION!  You have to go outside and around and then between the Hilton and artist alley ballroom expansion, then all the way to the end.  Please give yourself time to make the journey.  We have to start at 6pm so we don't loose too much sunlight as it sets behind the Hilton.  It only takes a minute to get there if you know where it is - CONSULT THE MAP!

So there it is, we look forward to seeing you all in a week.  Please take care of yourselves and your fellow cosplayers, we're almost there.  Let's start the final week run-up with a series that should have found a bigger audience.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Outlaw Star (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoDUxs3rlRU

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

Keeping it going with another hugely popular title from the 90's boom.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Rurouni Kenshin (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oun6BUHI9eE

InsaneDavid

Good very late evening old schoolers!

How about something really old school for the late shift?  Anime's first cyborg superhero!  Probably better known to people in the west for the OVA sequel 8 Man After, which was part of the regular rotation of Saturday Anime broadcast on Sci-Fi Channel.

Celebrating An Era - 1960's!  Eight Man (1963)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE6V_PLn2IU

InsaneDavid

Just two days away!  Here's a great looking series that some may know tangentially through the Sega Master System game Cyborg Hunter, which was a re-work of the Japanese Borgman Sega Mark III tie-in.  The series is out there with HK subs but it's better than nothing!

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Sonic Soldier Borgman (1988)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WvRo8dloo

InsaneDavid

Good evening old schoolers!

Keeping it going with an OVA series that I've always really liked - in fact it's my favorite Gainax work.  Great to see there's a chance of it being properly re-released soon.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Aim for the Top! / GunBuster (1988)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLr3b2bDBZg

InsaneDavid

So here we are, many of you already on site, the convention in the process of being set up.  I hope everyone is well and that everyone will be respectful to your fellow cosplayers, attendees, and staff.  I'm going to head out myself in a couple hours and dive into the changes of 2022.  I'll have one more post in a bit and then it'll all switch to at-con for tomorrow.  Here's a great ending theme of a pretty amazing family manga and anime that continues to be extremely popular to this day.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Chibi Maruko-chan (1990)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmTJQVnNq5Y (ENDING)

InsaneDavid

I'm about to head out to Fanime myself so I'm going to make this the last pre-gathering post for this year.

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has followed this gathering, either on the forums or the Facebook event page, especially those who have been here for the two and a half years or so - since the beginning of what was supposed to be for 2020.  We are right on the edge of the gathering finally and that is wonderful.

There are a lot of people who can't attend - due to life changes, level of comfort, and in some cases no longer being with us.  I am thankful for them as well.  For supporting the tradition of this gathering and keeping the vintage fire not only burning - but roaring.

I hope to see you all tomorrow.  Remember we are at G7 and will be beginning at 6pm promptly.  Remember we will have gathering ribbons for every cosplayer in attendance, if you have to leave before the end of the gathering PLEASE let me know tomorrow so I can give you a ribbon and a card!

Please be respectful of other cosplayers and other attendees.  Give staff and event hosts room to breathe and a "thank you" if so inclined.

Capping this year's old school OPs / EDs off perfectly - especially since it's just that windy in downtown San Jose today.  Here's the second ending from my all-time favorite shojo series.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Marmalade Boy (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYhuTaoKhU (ENDING 2)

InsaneDavid

Thank you so much to everyone who attended this year!  We will have the unofficial gathering photo gallery up within one week!  The link will be posted here, on the Facebook Event Page for the gathering, and on the Mokkori Cosplay Facebook page.

We will be back in 2023!

Barnes

It was a good gathering indeed. I'll be back next year!
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

therealdjpocky

Thank you so much for hosting!! I hope to see more Star Trek cosplayers next year haha
When something smells, it's usually a bad pun.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Barnes on May 28, 2022, 08:32:24 AM
It was a good gathering indeed. I'll be back next year!

Thank you for attending!!

Quote from: therealdjpocky on May 31, 2022, 10:00:16 AM
Thank you so much for hosting!! I hope to see more Star Trek cosplayers next year haha

You're very welcome! I think we've had at least one or two 'Trek cosplayers every year!

InsaneDavid

Hello old schoolers!!!

Here is the link to the unofficial gathering photoset, featuring all photos taken by the gathering co-host!  These are unedited and non-watermarked.

Feel free to tag anyone you may know and share!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1947430818779384

Facebook has gotten really weird with hosting images as of recent and doesn't seem to have a full resolution option anymore. If you need a higher resolution version of a picture - please message me (either here or on Facebook) and I'll send it to you directly.

If there are any images that you would like removed, please message me as well and I'll accommodate you as best I can.

Thank you to all who attended or showed interest in this gathering.  It was awesome to be back again and see so many amazing cosplayers once more!  I am so happy that the gathering has continued to remain popular, as I was worried that the momentum we had been gaining into 2019 would be lost by the time away - but that was totally not the case!

We hope to see you all again for FanimeCon next year and the 2023 Old School Cosplay Gathering!! It will always be held the evening of Fanime Friday!

Angelx624

I had a lot of fun at the gathering!! <3 This gathering has always been one of my favorites to attend.

Can't wait for next year's! And glad we don't have to wait three years til the next one! xD
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on June 08, 2022, 09:28:53 PM
I had a lot of fun at the gathering!! <3 This gathering has always been one of my favorites to attend.

Can't wait for next year's! And glad we don't have to wait three years til the next one! xD

Thank you so much for attending!!  I hope your Inuyasha gathering went well! ^_^

Angelx624

Quote from: InsaneDavid on June 10, 2022, 09:03:12 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on June 08, 2022, 09:28:53 PM

Thank you so much for attending!!  I hope your Inuyasha gathering went well! ^_^

You're welcome! And it did, though it was kinda small.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)