Name That Anime Tune 2020 (Accepted)

Started by anarchycupcake, January 25, 2020, 09:49:15 AM

anarchycupcake

Name That Anime Tune
Current Status: Scheduled for Sunday from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM in Panels Room 4

Last year's panel was a huge success, so I've decided to apply to host this panel again this year (now under the slightly tweaked name, Name That Anime Tune). I've also added two more rounds for this year, the details of which you can see below. I hope you'll all come play again this year!

The TL;DR Version:
Think you're an anime music maestro? Put your skills to the test in this game show! Identify anime from brief song clips to win prizes!

The Elevator Pitch:
The iconic game show just got an anime twist! Contestants will be chosen from the audience to identify anime from snippets of their openings, endings or soundtrack music. The first person to chime in with the correct title will be awarded points based on how quickly they're able to answer. All contestants will get prizes, but the one with the most points at the end of 12 rounds will win a grand prize! Anyone with a love of anime music, regardless of familiarity, is encouraged to participate!

The Full Details:
Name That Anime Tune is an all-anime version of the old TV game show "Name That Tune." Contestants will compete against each other to identify anime from short snippets of their music (openings, endings, and soundtrack songs). The game is designed to test the contestants' familiarity with anime music, but more importantly, it's a fun way for anime fans to show appreciation for the music that we love while having the chance to earn prizes at the same time!

The actual structure of the panel is as follows:

Five contestants will be selected to go up on stage and compete at once. Contestants will be selected via raffle tickets that will be handed out to people interested in playing as they enter the room, the other halves of which will shuffled and selected one by one at random. This gives everyone who's interested an equal opportunity to participate.

Depending on whether I am allotted an hour or two hours, either six (for two hours) or three (for one hour) groups of contestants will be able to compete during this panel.

Once the contestants are settled and introduced, the game will begin. The contestants will all play 12 rounds, each with different anime/anime music. The rounds break down as follows:

Round 1: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 1970 - 1989
Round 2: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 1990 - 1994
Round 3: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 1995 - 1999
Round 4: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 2000 - 2004
Round 5: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 2005 - 2009
Round 6: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 2010 - 2014
Round 7: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 2015 - 2019
Round 8: OPs and EDs from anime originally aired during 2020
Round 9: English dubbed anime OPs that aired on North American TV
Round 10: OSTs from any anime
Round 11: Movie themes
Round 12: OPs and EDs from anime that Fanime 2020's Guests of Honor have been involved with

Each of these rounds has a corresponding playlist in my music database. Each round's playlist includes anywhere from dozens to hundreds to even thousands of possible songs that fit its category. Other than the song having to fit in the category parameters, the only other rules I stipulated were that the anime couldn't be too obscure (it had to have at least a certain number of members on MyAnimeList, which I varied based on the age of the anime) and that the same anime could only have one OP and one ED (or one song period in rounds 8 - 10) in any given round. Sequels were treated as a new anime rather than a continuation. If, in the air date-based rounds, an anime carried over from one round to the next (think long running shows like Naruto/One Piece), then the first OP and ED to air during that time period were also included. The songs are from a variety of genres and of various recognizability and difficulty levels. This will allow participants with a variety of tastes in anime to have an equal opportunity to get a song they know.

Prior to the panel, I will select one song from each of the 12 rounds' playlists that will form the overall quiz playlist. These songs will be selected by random by shuffling the playlists. Once again, this is to increase song/anime diversity. Also, by doing it this way, I can display a slide with information on the song as well as anime it comes from at the end of the round.

Each selected song will first be played for a total of 30 seconds. The contestant who buzzes in fastest gets the first chance to answer. If a contestant buzzes in before the 15 second mark and correctly answers, they will receive 3 points. If they get the answer incorrect, other players will be given a chance to buzz in and answer. If a contestant is able to buzz in and answer correctly after the 15 second mark, they will receive 1 point. If no contestant is able to give the correct answer, the correct answer will be announced, the slide with information on the song and the anime it comes from will be presented, and the game will proceed to the next round/song. There is no penalty for incorrect answers, but each contestant will only be allowed to make 1 guess per song, so they have to choose wisely when to buzz in.

At the end of the 12 rounds, the contestant with the most points will win a grand prize. In the case of a tie, a final tie-breaker round will be played using a compilation of all the above playlists. The other participants will also win smaller, runners-up prizes.

This same structure will be repeated either 2 (in the case of a 1 hour panel) or 5 (in the case of a 2 hour panel) more times. In case there is extra time after this, a just-for-fun, free-for-all round will be held, in which anyone from the audience is able to answer.

Can you name that tune?

anarchycupcake

Name That Anime Tune was accepted for Fanime 2020! We're scheduled for Sunday from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM in Panels Room 4. We've got an additional hour this year, so we'll be able to do even more rounds and even more people will be able to play and win prizes!

The Sea-Faring Otaku

Quote from: anarchycupcake on February 27, 2020, 08:23:31 AM
Name That Anime Tune was accepted for Fanime 2020! We're scheduled for Sunday from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM in Panels Room 4. We've got an additional hour this year, so we'll be able to do even more rounds and even more people will be able to play and win prizes!
Sweet!
On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

anarchycupcake