electricity-lambs

FanimeCon 2020 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Further deferment to 2022?  (Read 565 times)

virilevocalist

• Maria-sama ga Post
  • Hi, I'm Mode.
    • View Profile
Further deferment to 2022?
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:10:51 PM »

Maybe I'm being pessimistic here, since it's to early to say, but the way things are going in CA and the projected vaccine availability for younger folks in May and June, I have a feeling that folks who pre-reg'd for 2020 will need to get deferred to 2022.  :'(
Previous FanimeCons attended:
'01, '02, '03, '04, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18, '19, ('20, I guess)

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Steel Angel Post
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Re: Further deferment to 2022?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »

With the way things are going, I think there will be some form of Fanime in 2021.  I'm sure if that's the case it will be different, maybe smaller, with restrictions in place.  I know some people who, let's say, set things up at events - and they've been told to tentatively prepare to return to work in February / March.

I'm not staff in any way, I don't have some inside line or anything - it's just speculation like everyone else. Here's hoping we all catch some kind of break by the second quarter of 2021.

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Angelx624

• Post in the Shell: SAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:11:03 PM »

If it gets deferred to 2022, they had better refund those who pre-registered.
Cosplay List:
Reno (FF7R)
Kairi (KH3)
Utatane Piko (Vocaloid)
Sophie Hatter
Accelerator
Mikoto Misaka!

(ノ•ω•)ノ Yay!!

anarchycupcake

• Full Metal Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:36:11 PM »

I'm also thinking that Fanime 2021 isn't likely to happen. Even if it does, if vaccinations aren't widespread at that point, I'm not certain how many people will really want to attend a giant event like a con. I'm really looking forward to going in 2021, but if I don't have the vaccine by then, I'm not sure if I can really feel comfortable going.

AllisonSharp

• Full Metal Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »

I still would not rush to conclusions, but waited until 2021 :P.

anarchycupcake

• Full Metal Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »

It seems likely that the organizers aren't sure about whether or not Fanime 2021 is happening (or in what capacity it's happening) yet. After all, by this time pre-registration for the next year is usually up. $75 pre-registration even ends on January 31 (at least for typical years). The panels submission form hasn't gone live yet either. I'd wager they're waiting to see how the vaccine situation plays out.

As much as I really really want to go to Fanime this year, I'm starting to lose hope. :'(

Angelx624

• Post in the Shell: SAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 08:45:30 PM »

It seems likely that the organizers aren't sure about whether or not Fanime 2021 is happening (or in what capacity it's happening) yet. After all, by this time pre-registration for the next year is usually up. $75 pre-registration even ends on January 31 (at least for typical years). The panels submission form hasn't gone live yet either. I'd wager they're waiting to see how the vaccine situation plays out.

As much as I really really want to go to Fanime this year, I'm starting to lose hope. :'(

Part of me has lost hope, and part of me still wishes for it to happen. But honestly with everyone saying that cons won't be safe til later in the year(I'm talking after July at the earliest), I have my doubts. I just hope Fanime does not hold onto our money for a second year in a row. That will be extremely unfair and dare I say illegal(if not it very well should be, that is OUR money and they cannot hold onto it without an event happening two years in a row when we registered for Fanime 2020). I know I've said it a few times now, but idk, I just find it ridiculous if they decide to roll over badges AGAIN to 2022 instead of considering the fact that we might need that money back, because a lot of us are struggling right now due to the pandemic, and when we pre-registered, we had no idea if the con was gonna happen or not, and yes some of us took the risk, but some of us thought that if Fanime did not happen, we would get refunded. But nope.

Either way, I'm hoping by September/October, cons are mostly safe, again. Who knows, maybe Fanime will plan on holding the event later in the year? If they do, I won't mind that at all, really(and they can keep my badge money then XD )
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:00:35 PM by Angelx624 »
Cosplay List:
Reno (FF7R)
Kairi (KH3)
Utatane Piko (Vocaloid)
Sophie Hatter
Accelerator
Mikoto Misaka!

(ノ•ω•)ノ Yay!!

anarchycupcake

• Full Metal Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 10:10:28 PM »

Either way, I'm hoping by September/October, cons are mostly safe, again. Who knows, maybe Fanime will plan on holding the event later in the year? If they do, I won't mind that at all, really(and they can keep my badge money then XD )

Ah, that's a good point, I didn't really think about Fanime just delaying until later in the year. I'm not confident about it happening in May, but I could see vaccine distribution possibly being widespread enough for it to happen in the fall. I think I'll just keep working on my panels like usual and keep my fingers crossed. I don't want conventions to start up if it's not safe to yet, but I am missing my yearly convention fix.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 40 queries.