Absence of video programming

Started by OldOtaku, May 28, 2022, 02:08:49 PM

OldOtaku

There wasn't the standard video programming this year, and I heard various unrelated explanations for that (video is now easily streamed; rooms lack ventilation required during a pandemic, etc.). Can anyone say definitively what the reason was? Will video programming return to future Fanimes?

HunterZero

Below is the same response I posted to the Pretend FanimeCon FB Group prior to the contention:

*snip*
I'm a part of the Video team and the reasons for this are not what people think they are. Please note that this isn't because of special knowledge on my part, but I understand how Video works at FanimeCon and the complexity regarding the rights holders and showings.

The Video Rooms not happening is due to the combination of video rights holders as well as entry requirements for the convention center itself. A little known fact is that there are no badge checks for any of the video rooms at FanimeCon. This is because the rights holders allow FanimeCon to show videos, but don't allow FanimeCon to charge for them. This has worked in the past because the video rooms have always been located outside of the badging areas. While some rooms may check for ID for 18+ events, badges are not required.

This year, entry into the entire convention center requires a badge. This is for vaccination verification purposes. Since the entire convention center has restricted access, Video cannot show anything due to not having the rights to charge. I hope this helps people understand why this is the case this year.

For my own events, Midnight Madness and Hentai Music Videos are being held through the kindness and patience of the Programming and Panels teams, but those are special exceptions and it took a lot of work to make it happen.
*end snip*

From the Q&A session at the end of the convention, there is a hope and intention to bring back all sleeping departments (including Video) next year.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

OldOtaku

Thank you, HunterZero, for by far the most credible and articulate explanation I have heard about this. Hopefully, by next year the pandemic will be under control or behind us, but even if not, maybe the Convention Center would be satisfied with the vaccination wristband (free) for access to the screening rooms then, rather than a paid badge.

InsaneChan

Quote from: HunterZero on May 30, 2022, 08:32:36 PM
Below is the same response I posted to the Pretend FanimeCon FB Group prior to the contention:

*snip*
I'm a part of the Video team and the reasons for this are not what people think they are. Please note that this isn't because of special knowledge on my part, but I understand how Video works at FanimeCon and the complexity regarding the rights holders and showings.

The Video Rooms not happening is due to the combination of video rights holders as well as entry requirements for the convention center itself. A little known fact is that there are no badge checks for any of the video rooms at FanimeCon. This is because the rights holders allow FanimeCon to show videos, but don't allow FanimeCon to charge for them. This has worked in the past because the video rooms have always been located outside of the badging areas. While some rooms may check for ID for 18+ events, badges are not required.

This year, entry into the entire convention center requires a badge. This is for vaccination verification purposes. Since the entire convention center has restricted access, Video cannot show anything due to not having the rights to charge. I hope this helps people understand why this is the case this year.

For my own events, Midnight Madness and Hentai Music Videos are being held through the kindness and patience of the Programming and Panels teams, but those are special exceptions and it took a lot of work to make it happen.
*end snip*

From the Q&A session at the end of the convention, there is a hope and intention to bring back all sleeping departments (including Video) next year.

But how did this work then when in pre-COVID years, badge checks were being done at the entrance of the convention center itself and not the individual rooms? I remember that change happening, as beforehand non-badge holders could just stroll through the con center as long as they did not enter any rooms.
Love. Life. fANIME.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: InsaneChan on June 01, 2022, 11:50:27 AM
But how did this work then when in pre-COVID years, badge checks were being done at the entrance of the convention center itself and not the individual rooms? I remember that change happening, as beforehand non-badge holders could just stroll through the con center as long as they did not enter any rooms.

When they moved to checking badges at the entrances, the video rooms were moved to the lower level expansion, which remained unbadged.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Kirtro

Quote from: HunterZero on May 30, 2022, 08:32:36 PM

*snip*

*end snip*

Missed this on the group, thanks for repeating it for us HunterZero, hopefully it can comeback 2023.... or failing that, find out the HMV is at the center soon enough that I can finish something and enter (was too late to work on anything when I found out Silver Island wasn't a thing this year ^^; )
You most likely read my name wrong

OldOtaku

As this chain indicates, there was no video programming at 2022 Fanime as a consequence of the covid policy then in effect. For 2023, Fanime has a similar covid policy. Does anyone know if things have changed or there is some work-around that would permit video programming to be resumed at this year's Fanime?

otakuforlife

Quote from: OldOtaku on January 07, 2023, 09:54:22 AMAs this chain indicates, there was no video programming at 2022 Fanime as a consequence of the covid policy then in effect. For 2023, Fanime has a similar covid policy. Does anyone know if things have changed or there is some work-around that would permit video programming to be resumed at this year's Fanime?

I'm probably wrong, but I would imagine the COVID policy is subject to change based on local or state guidelines as is the same with any other events.  ALA just had their event without any vaccination checks or masking requirements (masks were strongly encouraged but not required). I guess it's up to each individual event, but I would be surprised if Fanime kept the same exact policy for this year, especially when mandates and restrictions have been absent for months
Fanime 2024 Cross-play plans (order subject to change)

Day 0 - No cosplay
Day 1 - Shioriko Mifune (summer uniform)
Day 2 - Rin Hoshizora (winter uniform)
Day 3 - Shiki Wakana (summer uniform)
Day 4 - Rei Ayanami (school uniform) or maid

Animator22

It does suck but it does make sense. Free and open to all with or without badge not making money off viewings but by simply requiring a badge meaning form of payment was accepted to view the content which publishers of said content would not be happy with. The FMV's were my main focus of the show and now gotta hope it will return next year.

OldOtaku

I've seen several posts on Facebook about various activities that are returning to Fanime this year. Not mentioned so far: video programming. I assume that there is quite a bit of lead time in arranging the programming, and that by now a decision on whether or not to include it this year must have been made. The lack of an announcement makes me think the answer is "no." Does anyone know? Thanks very much.

CabbitJay

They just announced on Twitter that video program is returning.

Kirtro

Additional info:

All video rooms will be in Silver Island....... *sigh* god, I hope this is only this year. because of the shuttle issues I'm going to have to disappoint the encouraging man standing in -10 degree water harvesting Asiatic clams.

Also they said FMV was back.... despite no announcements for entries being made this year... maybe it's a typo and they meant HMV?
You most likely read my name wrong