Props to the SJCC staff!

Started by Ecchi ja Nai, May 29, 2022, 11:24:34 PM

Ecchi ja Nai

My experience is limited compared to what it would have normally been in previous years - I cut my 2022 con short and was only around Thursday-Friday, compared to my usual Thursday-Sunday routine of Fanimes past.  Having said that, I need to give a shoutout to the staff manning the doors at the convention center.  I thought making use of the Clear app+bracelet system worked out pretty well.  This was by far the largest crowd I've been around in the last three years, and it did make me feel a little better knowing that there were pretty strict rules for entry being enforced.  I came across three "situations" where people had to either be turned away or otherwise said "no" to, and each time staff was firm but courteous and respectful.

The first encounter involved someone not having a booster shot.  It sucks that the potential attendee got that far into the process and wasn't allowed in, but the requirements had been posted with plenty of notice for that to be taken care of in advance.  I'm totally empathetic to those who legitimately aren't able to receive a vaccine, but those were the posted rules and let's be honest, would that type of environment be the best place to be if you were immunocompromised in the first place?  Also, it seemed like they managed to get one full course of the vaccine so that part wasn't even an issue for them, they were just missing a booster which should have been easy to deal with.

Someone else was denied entry because they didn't have a mask.  Again, another situation that could have been easily avoided.  Like, they're available everywhere these days. And regardless of your personal opinion on their effectiveness, they were a stated requirement and literally not a big deal for all the thousands of other attendees around them.  Again, the staff member at the door didn't turn it into a big deal, they just politely said they would not be allowed inside without one and even suggested places nearby to purchase one. I brought extras just in case something happened to the one I had, but unfortunately I left my spares in my car and was already halfway up the stairs inside otherwise I would have offered one to them.

The last one happened late Friday night just before I left the con.  A group of people, all with badges and wristbands, came up to someone staffing the doors at the main entrance and asked if they could get a spare wristband.  Like bruh, who needs a replacement?  I'm sure that should a legitimate situation have arisen, staff could have easily verified your info, destroyed the previous wristband if they still had it, and then issued a new one by having staff directly secure it to the person's wrist.  You swear they're just going to hand a new one out to some rando.  99.9% sure they were trying to get someone in who was either not willing or failed to clear the health checks, and I was pretty happy they were denied. 

That's it.  I just wanted to share my appreciation for the people who have to deal with all the craziness and rambunctiousness that comes with an absolute mob of otaku.  People usually do a good job thanking Fanime staff, but we shouldn't leave out the people who normally work there and quite probably have little familiarity with anime or its related fandoms.  Hope everyone manages to stay safe and healthy, and enjoyed finally being able to get back together for the first time in a long time.  Hopefully 2023 brings a return to a more "normal" Fanime with the various programming that had to be omitted this year, but should the need for health verification be required again I won't have a problem with that.

Angelx624

The staff did such an amazing job and I want them to know how much I appreciate their hard work this past weekend. Especially since a bunch of staff quit the last minute. Really hoping next year they have more on board to staff!
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Nina Star 9

I was VERY happy with how well the SJCC staff handled the vaccination checks. I'm just high enough risk that I'll only be attending cons that are as cautious as Fanime, and the SJCC staff did a great job in enforcing the restrictions.