2023 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, January 20, 2023, 02:41:27 PM

InsaneDavid

Hi everyone!!

Thank you so much for coming out to the gathering!!  Our gallery of unofficial pictures taken by us as hosts is live right here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=mokkoricosplay&set=a.631116022372061

Please feel free to share, tag, download, crop, use on your cosplay pages, etc. This gathering is for you, for us, who cosplay as these characters!

We were having some camera issues toward the very end so we didn't get as many shots as we would have liked. If you need a higher resolution version of a picture (because Facebook sometimes reduces resolution) - please message me and I'll send it to you directly.

If there are any images that you would like removed, please message me as well and I'll accommodate you as best I can.

Thank you to all who attended or showed interest in this gathering.

Our location wasn't ideal as I would like but given our day / time it was the best option.  And hey, we can all say we took up the biggest gathering spot at Fanime!!!  Who says old school isn't awesome?  Hopefully next year we can get back to a spot that is a little more protected so I can talk with you all more and of course I miss the terraced steps that we had inside back in 2018 and 2019!

We hope to see you all again for FanimeCon next year and the 2024 Old School Cosplay Gathering!! It will always be held the evening of Fanime Friday!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Barnes

I uploaded my Cosplay photos (including this gathering) to my PhotoBucket.
If someone does not like a photo I included, please let know.

https://photobucket.com/u/CapeBarnes/a/4aa8d082-10bf-40f0-a08a-ab9465da0a7b
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Angelx624

Those photos look great! :D I had a fun time at the gathering! Thinking next year I might bring back Kagome again(this year I was Raine from FF8 with my Laguna ^^ )
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Barnes

^ Thanks, that means a lot to me :)

Maybe next year I'll bring a kneepad XD
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

InsaneDavid

Awesome photos Barnes, thank you for sharing them here!!  Sorry I've been so inactive, the end of 2023 was as crazy as most of the year for me.

For 2024...

Okay, as I'm sure many of you Forum regulars have seen, there's a bit of a mass exodus among FanimeCon Staff right now.  While I am not staff, I fully support the reasoning behind those who have announced their resignations.  It sucks all around - for the staffers leaving, for those remaining, for the convention as a whole, and for attendees - but I think it's important we support their decisions.  Especially Cosplay Gatherings Department, as they have been nothing but awesome in support of us cosplayers.

There's a lot of uncertainty right now.  In relation to this gathering, if FanimeCon Gatherings do happen for 2024, we will absolutely attempt to host the Old School Gathering as an official gathering.  The whole process may change, who knows, but we will make every attempt to host on Friday evening as is tradition.  I'll have a 2024 thread / Facebook Event Page up soon, at this time I'm going to try to remain positive and continue forward as usual in support of you, my fellow old school cosplayers.

And on the off chance that official gatherings do not happen this year, we will attempt to have an unofficial gathering on Fanime Friday at our usual time.

Out of all this, my big takeaway and hope is that staffing conditions will improve and become more balanced throughout the departments.  As always, be sure to thank the staff you work with at the con.

If you have any questions or concerns please reply here, send me a PM, message me on Facebook, etc.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Angelx624

I am in full support of the staff that have resigned as well, they have very valid reasons for their decisions, and I hope Fanime learns from this and treats their staff better from now on. Without the staff, there is no Fanimecon.

Whether or not there will be official gatherings, I'll attend whichever gathering(official or unofficial) ends up happening.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)