2023 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, January 20, 2023, 02:41:27 PM

InsaneDavid

Greetings old school cosplayers!  Getting back to the Old School Gathering last year was a blast as always, thank you all for your amazing attendance, awesome cosplay, being genuinely considerate of your fellow cosplayers, and continued representation of the fandoms that created anime conventions!  Of course I'm back to host yet again!  Continuing the tradition of the gathering that got me into cosplay, I announce the...

Fanime 2023 Old School (Pre-2001) Cosplay Gathering!

Come celebrate the rich history of Japanese entertainment culture!

This is a hugely open gathering for those of you / us who cosplay as characters from the previous century.  Essentially if your cosplay character appears in Anime, Manga, Video Games or Live Action that began PRIOR to 2001, then this is the gathering for you!  Although I like to have a decidedly Japanese lean to this gathering, it is not completely exclusive.

Day : Friday, May 26th, 2023 (Day 1).
Time : 6PM - 7PM.
Meeting Place (MP) : Same as Location.
Location (L) : G6, Fallout Zone - the area at the bottom of the terraced steps in front of the Convention Center.

This will be our sixth consecutive year hosting! Once again, we will be in a new location than years previous due to convention health protocols.  We will be in front of the convention center, down in the large area at the bottom of the big terraced steps (Fallout Zone).  This huge area isn't idea for us but it was the best option available given our gathering's day / time.

Cosplayers : If you would like, please post who your cosplay character is, what title it is from and what year you are representing!  As this gathering is a total wildcard mix of different characters, series, studios, and genres - spanning time rather than properties - a definitive list is otherwise not provided.  Part of the fun of the OSCG is seeing just who shows up.

Legal Statement : Fanime / gathering co-host will likely be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Photography Order : If there is any specific setup or shot you would like, just let me know!  This gathering is to celebrate all of us as cosplayers who keep the vintage fire alive.

Group shot.
By era - 1960's (or earlier).
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
By era - 1990's (to 2000).
Characters who use swords / knives / blades / etc.
Characters known to get physical / fighters / brawlers.
Military / rank and file / soldiers.
Characters with psychic powers / spiritual powers / espers / magic / etc.
Pilots / drivers / craft operators / mech jockeys.
Teachers / students / faculty / school attendants / etc.
Characters who use firearms / laser guns / projectile weapons / etc.
Magical girls.
Animals / pets.
Spacefaring characters / those who live off-world.
Robots / androids / synthetic people / mecha.
Characters who are mysterious / shadowy.
Public servants / government organizations / secret organizations.
Characters with secret identities.
Characters in uniform of any type.
Battle teams.
Video game characters.
Characters who are on the run / fugitives / scoundrels / bounty hunters.
Monsters / demons / youma / zombies / etc.
Characters who are technically minded / deductive / intelligent / geniuses.
Great warriors / legendary masters.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Heroes.
Villains.
Heroes vs Villains.
Cosplayers representing the manga version of their character.
Age vs Youth / old characters vs young characters.
Live Action only characters.
Pairings / couples.
Group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).

Series groups (dependent on attendance / cosplayer request).
By studio / production team (dependent on attendance / cosplayer request).
Solo shots (cosplayer request).
Additional requests (cosplayer request).

I am always up for future ideas to add to the list!  A good portion of the photo order is built upon suggestions from previous years.  We have continued to consolidate the list to get the order cycled faster.

Facebook Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/863984558046972

This is an excellent gathering to psyche you up for the convention weekend.  If you're an old school cosplayer, stop by and join us!  Feel free to pop in for a moment to say hi, see some incredible cosplay, pose for some pictures, and continue to prove that just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't awesome!

Thank you so very much.  Let's have another great turnout and continue this wonderful Fanime tradition!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

New location for 2023 due to location changes for other FanimeCon operations!

We will be at G6 - Fallout Zone, the area at the bottom of the big terraced steps outside of where the video rooms used to be.

InsaneDavid

Thank you so much for coming out to the gathering!!  Our gallery of unofficial pictures taken by us as hosts is live right here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=mokkoricosplay&set=a.631116022372061

InsaneDavid

Hey everyone, I know I haven't been as active as I usually am during the run-up to Fanime and the gathering.  Just have a lot of personal stuff going on right now that has been pretty trying.

That said, I have submitted the gathering officially.  Even if I'm not as active right now, I am still hosting the gathering as usual, and I hope I can become more active here again once things calm down a bit.

Thanks everyone!  Feel free to post any questions here or on the Facebook Event Page and I hope to see you at the gathering!

InsaneDavid

Updated with our location for this year, G6 - Fallout Zone.  That's the large area down in the terraced steps at the front of the convention center.  It was the best option from what was available.  Over the next couple days I'll start getting this thread rolling again!

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

My apologies for not promoting the gathering as much as I usually do.  2023 has been a very hectic and trying year for me so far, which prevented me from being as active around here as I generally am.  However I'm hoping that's all in the past and we're looking forward to Fanime.

Let's get right into it with an OP and a series that needs no introduction.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Cowboy Bebop (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRI_8PUXx2A

InsaneDavid

Let's keep it going with another series that everyone seems to enjoy!

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Kyatto Ninden Teyandee (1990)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-jelS4x-hI

Angelx624

Hoping to be there as Rei Hino from Sailor Moon! :)

Unfortunately I have to scrap her for now as the uniform isn't looking how I wanted it to. :( But hopefully next year!

However, if video game cosplay is welcome, and I can convince my Laguna to go to the gathering, we might be there as Raine and Laguna from Final Fantasy 8!
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on April 30, 2023, 09:09:12 PMHoping to be there as Rei Hino from Sailor Moon! :)

Unfortunately I have to scrap her for now as the uniform isn't looking how I wanted it to. :( But hopefully next year!

However, if video game cosplay is welcome, and I can convince my Laguna to go to the gathering, we might be there as Raine and Laguna from Final Fantasy 8!

Absolutely!!  Video game characters are always welcome!  Anime, manga, video games, live action, etc. and Final Fantasy VIII is most certainly old school!

Also as someone who has done Sailor Moon cosplays - my wife and I have done Makoto Kino and Motoki Furuhata (whom I can only kinda pull off), as well as Sailor Moon S Episode 106 flashback Michiru and Haruka (whom I totally can't pull off but it's a driving suit so I look decent from the back) - I know how tricky the uniforms can be!

InsaneDavid

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Let's stick with the 90's starting off today, a much loved OVA that is probably more popular (at least in the USA) than the manga of which it was adapted from.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Gunsmith Cats (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HPyUcy37I

InsaneDavid

Let's keep it going with more 90's still!

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUnr-qmqKAA

Angelx624

Quote from: InsaneDavid on May 07, 2023, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on April 30, 2023, 09:09:12 PMHoping to be there as Rei Hino from Sailor Moon! :)

Absolutely!!  Video game characters are always welcome!  Anime, manga, video games, live action, etc. and Final Fantasy VIII is most certainly old school!

Also as someone who has done Sailor Moon cosplays - my wife and I have done Makoto Kino and Motoki Furuhata (whom I can only kinda pull off), as well as Sailor Moon S Episode 106 flashback Michiru and Haruka (whom I totally can't pull off but it's a driving suit so I look decent from the back) - I know how tricky the uniforms can be!

Ok! Also looks like we'll be there! :D

And awesome! Yes they can be tricky. :(
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

Let's kick the week off with a series that is considered one of the beginnings of anime and manga as we know it, the franchise better known as Astro Boy outside of Japan.

Celebrating An Era - 1960's!  Tetsuwan Atom (1963)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbaZuTW1Q0

InsaneDavid

I'll have some new information tomorrow including the gathering map to help you find where we will be located this year.  However for right now, how about some super robot mania from the early 70's?

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Mazinger Z (1972)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rKB66E03I

InsaneDavid

I've updated the pinned post on the Facebook Event Page and the second post in the gathering thread on the Fanime Forums with the map to where the gathering will be this year - Location G6.  Be sure to check it out!

Back to old school OP's - and I'll tell you, my collection of YouTube hosted OPs has been obliterated compared to years previous.  But there's still a lot out there, including this one - a title that I remember being crazy popular in some circles, although it doesn't seem to be talked about much anymore.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Fushigi Yuugi (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ll09siuxA

InsaneDavid

We're less than a week away from Fanime 2023!  That seems pretty crazy to me but here we are, just around the corner.  Again, my apologies for not promoting the gathering this year as much as I usually do but it looks like things have picked up in the past few weeks and I'm sure we will have great attendance.

I haven't posted a lot of OP's this year as many of them are hard to find due to copyright crackdown but let's keep it going anyway.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Cardcaptor Sakura (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-fLrxTsYIc

teknetos

Sounds fun, I'll plan for one of my Gundam character cosplays that day!

AshenStarMage

Health permitting, I may be able to cosplay Belldandy from Oh! My Goddess at the gathering.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: teknetos on May 23, 2023, 01:45:39 AMSounds fun, I'll plan for one of my Gundam character cosplays that day!

Awesome!  We usually have at least a couple cosplayers from the many pre-2001 Gundam titles.

Quote from: AshenStarMage on May 23, 2023, 08:30:33 PMHealth permitting, I may be able to cosplay Belldandy from Oh! My Goddess at the gathering.

Yay! I hope everything works out for you!

InsaneDavid

Almost time to go!  Tomorrow will be FanimeCon 2023 Day Zero, and of course Fanime Friday will follow and with it the 2023 Old School Cosplay Gathering!

It has been a long road this year, almost longer than the road to 2022 for me in some ways.  I hope all your cosplay and convention preparations are working out, that registration goes smoothly, that if you are using on-site housing that you are staying at the hotel of your choice, and that you will join us Friday evening for this gathering that is a great FanimeCon tradition.

Last OP for this year (back to tons next time, I promise), the series your hosts will be cosplaying from (Cyber Formula Zero era anyway).

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Future GPX Cyber Formula (1991)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmy-ZIsv6A