2024 COVID Policy

Started by JimTobal, November 26, 2023, 07:58:54 PM

JimTobal

The website is still showing the policy from 2023; does anyone know if the policy is still going to be the same for next year?

I don't want to risk registering if I may not be able to attend due to that policy.

CabbitJay

When I registered in June, it said the policy is currently the same for 2024 as 2023.  However, they will reevaluate and update the policy closer to con.  My guess is they will announce the official policy in April, but currently you should assume it is the same.

JimTobal

Good to know they've said the policy was the same there. I think you're right that I should just assume that it'll be the same until I hear otherwise (I don't think it's changed for the last couple of years at least so that's probably the safer thing for me to do).

Thanks!

otakuforlife

Hopefully the COVID restrictions will be eased up if not removed for this year, especially since we're in the endemic stage of COVID and nowhere else has had any restrictions for months.  I'm not saying protecting attendees isn't important, but at this point it should be the attendee's choice on whether they mask up or not.  Still looking forward to the con regardless of the policy though!
Fanime 2024 Cross-play plans (order subject to change)

Day 0 - No cosplay
Day 1 - Shioriko Mifune (summer uniform)
Day 2 - Rin Hoshizora (winter uniform)
Day 3 - Shiki Wakana (summer uniform)
Day 4 - Rei Ayanami (school uniform) or maid

Tuna

I hope they change the policy this year, simply so that we can have the viewing rooms back.
A weathered skeleton
in windy fields of memory,
piercing like a knife.
            ~ Basho

svatoid

With the new booster that came out , they no longer issue vaccine cards,so there is nothing to check for updated vaccination. The state has recently stated that even if you are positive, but have no symptoms, you can go to,work/school. There are no mask mandates . So I think the policy will change

otakuforlife

Quote from: Tuna on January 23, 2024, 11:27:36 AMI hope they change the policy this year, simply so that we can have the viewing rooms back.

I hope so, I'm all for people continuing to wear masks if they want, but at this stage it should be a choice left up to the individual.

Day 0 - No cosplay

otakuforlife

Quote from: svatoid on January 23, 2024, 04:24:16 PMWith the new booster that came out , they no longer issue vaccine cards,so there is nothing to check for updated vaccination. The state has recently stated that even if you are positive, but have no symptoms, you can go to,work/school. There are no mask mandates . So I think the policy will change

Makes sense, when I got the latest booster, they didn't ask for the vaccination card. 

Day 0 - No cosplay

Giantsgiants

Well, Fanime is no longer checking vaccination status so they might as well bring back the viewing rooms. In fact, every other con I went to last year has even ditched their masking requirement.

JimTobal

Yep, looks like the vaccine requirement has been lifted (https://www.fanime.com/news/covid-19-vaccination-policy/) - just happy I can go again this year.

otakuforlife

Kind of surprised they're still requiring masks, but whatever, at least no vaccine checkpoints frees up staff for other areas since they were woefully understaffed last year

Day 0 - No cosplay

apples4ryuk

I would have preferred they kept everyone needing to be vaccinated and got rid of masks. As if the unvaccinated people are going to actually follow the mask rule, but whatever.
Ni shi ki oi! Oi! Oi!
-
Owner of many, many Jojo tattoos (and counting) ☆

otakuforlife

Quote from: apples4ryuk on January 31, 2024, 10:56:33 AMI would have preferred they kept everyone needing to be vaccinated and got rid of masks. As if the unvaccinated people are going to actually follow the mask rule, but whatever.

I think they probably dropped the vaccine requirement since the shots are not subsidized by the government after the end of the health emergency and without insurance, they are pretty expensive

Day 0 - No cosplay

Nina Star 9

Quote from: apples4ryuk on January 31, 2024, 10:56:33 AMI would have preferred they kept everyone needing to be vaccinated and got rid of masks. As if the unvaccinated people are going to actually follow the mask rule, but whatever.
I'm the opposite -- I'm glad that if they're dropping something, it's the vax, because in terms of preventing transmission, masks are more effective.

Then again, I'm at high risk of serious complications of Covid and still mask everywhere anyway, even if it sucks to wear (and worse in cosplay!). I'm happy at least one con is still requiring masks, and has historically good enforcement haha