Import/eBay Anime DVDs

Started by Logik, July 11, 2004, 06:46:57 PM

Logik

Well, here's my situation. I was looking for some DVDs on eBay for a couple of anime series and I noticed that some of them had all of the series' episodes on around 2-3 discs. Now, I've noticed that the majority of them were Japanese audio, English sub (which I now prefer since Fanime) which means that they could be imported and the series on 2-3 discs is how it's done in Japan. Is this possibility true or not, or are these DVDs not the official releases (burned onto DVDs or something)?

BTW, the anime I was looking up were GitS:SAC, FMA, Lain,and Haibane-Renmei.
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

Tsubasa

You, my good sir, are looking at Hong Kong (or Taiwan, whatever) subs.  Very few region 2 DVDs are released with full english subtitling.  Nor are they ever released on so few discs.  Japanese anime DVDs generally have two, maybe three if your lucky, episodes per disc.  The DVDs your referring to are most probably also region-free and I cannot, off the top of my head, think of any official Japanese anime DVD that works on more than just region 2 players (or region-free, but that's a given).  Note that if you're purchasing these DVDs, they are fansubbed and probably not very well.  HK subs are notorious for their shody translations.  I don't encourage anyone to purchase them anyway.  Fansubs should never be sold for a profit.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

GokuMew2

Quote from: "Logik"BTW, the anime I was looking up were GitS:SAC, FMA, Lain,and Haibane-Renmei.
Note that domestic DVDs of Fullmetal Alchemist have NOT yet been released. I don't think the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex eps have been released either.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Logik

Thanks for pointing that out Goku. Yes, the domestic versions have not been released yet. I know GitS:SAC is released either later this month or sometime in August, but I'm not sure exactly when FMA will be. Anyways, this is the primary reason I'm looking for imported DVDs. I just don't have the patience for their releases, plus I do prefer sub. However, I do want good subs (no fansubs either) that are region free or region 1. Thank you Tsubasa for the info. I was really suspicious about those DVDs too. *sigh* The search continues...
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

GokuMew2

Quote from: "Logik"Anyways, this is the primary reason I'm looking for imported DVDs. I just don't have the patience for their releases, plus I do prefer sub. However, I do want good subs (no fansubs either) that are region free or region 1. Thank you Tsubasa for the info. I was really suspicious about those DVDs too. *sigh* The search continues...
You won't find any legit DVDs other than domestic releases in region free or R1 unless you want to buy the official R2 DVDs.

I suggest you get fansubs so you can watch the episodes and then buy the DVDs as they are released to get the professional quality. R2 DVDs aren't subbed so you might not know what's going on and they usually only have 2 or 3 episodes per disc. Getting fansubs and then the domestic DVD sounds better.
< Mew >

Tenba

Quote from: "Tsubasa"Note that if you're purchasing these DVDs, they are fansubbed and probably not very well.
I strongly object to the use of "fansub" for commercial pirates.  The commercial pirates are in it to make a quick buck -- they don't care about the series at all and are not fans in the least.  That's why their subs suck so badly that even 13-year-old kiddie egosubbers could do better without trying.  Please do not confuse the commercial Asian (Singapore, HK, Malaysia, Taiwan) pirates with fans, and please never ever ever shell out money to the commercial pirates.  Never shell out money for fansubs either, for that matter -- true fansubbers know better.  Save your money for the R1 releases.  The Japanese DVDs often run US$60 for one or two episodes, will not play in an R1 player, and usually don't have English subtitles.  They're neat to get if you're very rich, have an R2 player, and understand Japanese... but apparently, even Japanese fans often wait for the R1 version to come out.

Daisho

Poorly translated at best.  I've seen some of those HK/Taiwan jobs and boy are they horribly translated.  But sometimes you get a really good laguh out of how bad the translation is.  I'd watched One Piece one time to find Sanji translated as Sunkist and Usopp translated as Hot Hands.  Oh and let's not forget our favorite practitioner of three sword style, Sauron.  Wow!  LOTR in One piece.  :lol:

I wish I had a good broadband connection so I could download the fansubbed eps until the licensed stuff came out...
Small minds are often the same

Logik

Quote from: "Daisho"I wish I had a good broadband connection so I could download the fansubbed eps until the licensed stuff came out...
So do I. Then again I have to get computer up and running again before I can do anything on it. -_- I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the licensed DVDs to be released.
Quote from: "tenba"...but apparently, even Japanese often wait for the R1 version to come out.
Very interesting. I wonder why it is so? Maybe it's 'cause of, as you mentioned, the Japanese DVDs being more expensive with less eps per disc?

GokuMew2

Quote from: "tenba"They're neat to get if you're very rich, have an R2 player, and understand Japanese... but apparently, even Japanese fans often wait for the R1 version to come out.
This was discussed by John of AnimeNation some time back.
http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=872
< Mew >