Sacramento Anime-Manga Show - July 31 - August 1st 04

Started by lyricaldanichan, July 11, 2004, 10:40:23 PM

lyricaldanichan

Figured on posting this since there is some people here from Sacramento area.. woo

------

Sacramento Anime-Manga Show
@ Sunrise Mall (corner of Greenback lane and Sunrise Blvd)
July 31st and August 1st
Saturday 10am - 9pm PST
Sunday 11am - 6pm
http://www.sacramentocomics.com/anime/pages/index2.html
FREE ADMISSION

First of it's kind in the Sacramento area! A dedicated show for all anime and manga fans, here is the information below.

Guests

Tokyo Pop
Tokyo Pop will be giving away their "Sneak Peek" Samplers while supplies last.

Kyle Hoyte
Tokyo Pop's Rising Stars of Manga Vol 1.

Ben Seto
Tokyo Pop's Rising Stars of Manga Vol 1.

Andrew Wong
Tokyo Pop's Rising Stars of Manga Vol 2.

Art Contest
The art contest is open to all amateur artists. Turn in your entries at the art contest booth in front of Walden Books. All entries will be on display to the public. The current categories are: 12 and under; 13 and over. This may change depending on the number and ages of entries. All entries must be in by 5pm on Saturday evening. Entries may be picked up on Sunday after 4pm. 1st prize for both categories is a $50 gift certificate to Walden Books. 2nd prize winners will receive a $25 gift certificate. The rules are as follows:
One entry per person
Material must be suitable for all ages
Entries will be judged on originality

Costume Contest
he costume contest will be held on the stage in front of Macy's on Saturday evening from 6:30pm - 9:00pm. All entries must register by 5pm. Costumes must be suitable for all age ranges to view. Rules. For more information contact Ryochan at:
[email protected]

Anime Viewing Room
Animation will be shown throughout both days in the space where McDonald's used to be. Animation will be shown throughout both days.
Here's a partial list of programming:
Ultra Maniac
Uninhabited Planet SURVIVE
Hikaru no Go
Naruto
Bottle Fairy
Samurai 7
Galaxy Railways
Pita Ten
Sailor Moon Live Action
Lupin III
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
Detective Conan
Plus much more!
For information about content, please contact Ian at:
[email protected]

Vendor Info
more info at http://www.sacramentocomics.com/anime/pages/index2.htmll

Chloe

Ooh, I have a friend who lives in Roseville (East of Sacramento) who might be interested in going...  I wish there would be something like that in the bay area.  Thanks for the information!
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

KimaLucifer

Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

ip136

:shock: in the sunrise mall!? Are they SERIOUS!? *falls over*

That's.. insane.. and I shall now feel bad for Chris, Wendy & kathy at Suncoast.. they're gonna go crazy. :\
Clicky my Art Pwease?

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "ip136":shock: in the sunrise mall!? Are they SERIOUS!? *falls over*

That's.. insane.. and I shall now feel bad for Chris, Wendy & kathy at Suncoast.. they're gonna go crazy. :\

Yup :)

Why feel bad? They will probally get a lot of sales from people wanting to buy anime dvds and stuff :) haha

SadisticSolace

I really wish that I would be able to do. But sadly... I am out camping... so sadly, that it really bites, that I am not able to go to that... and it's free!

-Solace
Bunnies and Anime. Yummy ^.^

snapmyspandex

Yes I attended that this weekend. And I have to say I found it to be very boring. I mean I do love shopping for anime stuff but that's all there seemed to be able to do. I was bored out of my mind. And when I finally found the showing room it was just... lame. I mean it was the anime which I had no clue what it was but I was bored to tears. The costume contest to me seemed rigged, I thought that "The Cid" would have atleast gotten something but no. Why do they not love him. Also I recived several rude comment from people just wondering around the mall. Look I know it's odd seeing someone walking around in full body spadex, but you don't have to ruin my fun. Seriously I had no fun at this thing because of the lack of things to do and the fact that it was in a public area were the "ghetto" want to be's were at.

On another note: I did have fun running after a small child who gave me a very nasty look. It made me feel alot better. Exspecially cause he started attacking my friend. Crazy children.
Spandex is my friend ~ Someday I will marry Spiderman...just for the spandex ~ Spandex is a privillage, not a right

~Complete Costumes~
Sheik, Ocarina of Time
Gabumon, Digimon

~Current Projects~
Chii............30%
Chelsea........0%

Mach5Motorsport

I was there on Saturday.  A quick tour around the shopping center and I was done.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Pepperoni_Man

man i missed it T_T

lyricaldanichan

I would email the coordinator your comments on how you felt about the show->[email protected]

I was there for 2 hours and I too was bored, mostly because lack of sleep . I wish the video room wasn't  set off to the side like that and yeah it did look ghetto but I guess you have to work with something.  Ian did a good job showing anime in the video room, since it was in the mall it had to be limited so there wouldn't be complaints from parents.  Wow kinda suprised you were "bored to tears", there were some good shows for Saturday.

Oh well you get what you paid for :D

Quote from: "snapmyspandex"Yes I attended that this weekend. And I have to say I found it to be very boring. I mean I do love shopping for anime stuff but that's all there seemed to be able to do. I was bored out of my mind. And when I finally found the showing room it was just... lame. I mean it was the anime which I had no clue what it was but I was bored to tears. The costume contest to me seemed rigged, I thought that "The Cid" would have atleast gotten something but no. Why do they not love him. Also I recived several rude comment from people just wondering around the mall. Look I know it's odd seeing someone walking around in full body spadex, but you don't have to ruin my fun. Seriously I had no fun at this thing because of the lack of things to do and the fact that it was in a public area were the "ghetto" want to be's were at.

On another note: I did have fun running after a small child who gave me a very nasty look. It made me feel alot better. Exspecially cause he started attacking my friend. Crazy children.

IRJustman

Quote from: "snapmyspandex"And when I finally found the showing room it was just... lame. I mean it was the anime which I had no clue what it was but I was bored to tears.

First of all, I will address the "ghetto" setup.  It was that or nothing.  As Dani said, we had to work with what we were given.  Yes, it looked "ghetto", yes, it was out of the way and hard to find, but given that was what Sunrise Mall gave us to work with, what can we do?  We were very close to having to do it in the mall proper which would have been nigh impossible to do well.   I was happy with what we got.

Here's what it boils down to:  Don't blame me or the organizer; blame Sunrise Mall for this.

I'll address the programming shortly.

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Ian did a good job showing anime in the video room, since it was in the mall it had to be limited so there wouldn't be complaints from parents.

This is precisely the reason I chose what I chose.  If you have any suggestions of what I could have done better, I'm all ears.  However, bear the above quote in mind, specifically what I have placed in bold.

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Wow kinda suprised you were "bored to tears", there were some good shows for Saturday.

Can't go wrong with a three-hour block with Hikaru no Go and Naruto, can't you? ;)

Seriously, though, as for the programming, you can blame me for this one.

This was entirely my doing with some help from Dani.  However, if you feel you MUST harp on me, please, at the very least, cut me some slack as this is the first event like this I've ever done.  Give me a chance to make a few misjudgements so I can learn from them.

In fact, speaking to the event as a whole, I think this entire event was the first of its kind in the area, so, like my own part of it, we have to be ready to make a few mistakes.  We have to learn somehow, don't we?

Back to the programming, my goal was to show stuff that has yet to hit this side of the Pacific yet keep things in the context of a shopping mall, so no ecchi or excessive violence.  I also wanted to avoid stuff that was getting a ton of exposure already or was otherwise cliche.  I did make an exception to the "exposure" rule with Naruto, though.

I'm sorry if you didn't like what I had to offer.  I guess I can't please everyone.   Maybe you should try doing an anime screening like this sometime given the conditions I had to work with, then report back to me how you did, what people thought.

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Oh well you get what you paid for

Indeed.  HOW much did you pay for admission to this event?

If you STILL have issues even after I've laid it out, let me echo what Dani said in her post:

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"I would email the coordinator your comments on how you felt about the show->[email protected]

Oh well, I at least enjoyed myself, as did quite a few people who dropped by.

--Ian.

ip136

a little belated.. gomen.
I went to the convention, and I think they did a good job with what they had to put up with. I used to work there @ suncoast, and this was done much better than the comic/card show that I had to work at one day.
We were a little disappointed in the showing room, but you get what you can, yes? ^^
I wonder though, if there is some place.. like a mini convention hall anywhere nearby if the staff decides to do it again. I know that I got weird looks at the security officers when I was taking piccies of some cosplayers (It's usually 'illegal' to take pictures in malls.).
And yeah. :\

As to the other people in the mall. It was afterall a mall and had their right to be their to shop. But let's also remember that few people are open minded and would rather put someone down and stuff instead of asking why they're dressed up. I feel sad for the next generation. -.-;
Clicky my Art Pwease?

ced1106

Quote from: "IRJustman"Here's what it boils down to:  Don't blame me or the organizer; blame Sunrise Mall for this.

Suggestion: Change the target audience of the event. Instead of making it an otaku-oriented event, target parents, children, and casual shoppers. No, this may not be as fun as an otaku event, as you've noticed by the limitations you have on programming. One advantage is that it's a **unique** event. You an invite reps from various manga, anime, and anime game companies, and they can get a feel for the "casual non-otaku" audience.

One crazy idea are cosplay booth babes / bishounen, people dressing up as characters from manga and anime the companies want to pitch. No, I have no idea how to do this.  :o

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "ced1106"
Quote from: "IRJustman"Here's what it boils down to:  Don't blame me or the organizer; blame Sunrise Mall for this.

Suggestion: Change the target audience of the event. Instead of making it an otaku-oriented event, target parents, children, and casual shoppers. No, this may not be as fun as an otaku event, as you've noticed by the limitations you have on programming. One advantage is that it's a **unique** event. You an invite reps from various manga, anime, and anime game companies, and they can get a feel for the "casual non-otaku" audience.

One crazy idea are cosplay booth babes / bishounen, people dressing up as characters from manga and anime the companies want to pitch. No, I have no idea how to do this.  :o

It was for both otakus and  non-nerdy people to check out, and  for this city it was very unique.

There were semi-both babes, buit nothing like what you are suggesting. Probally would scare people anyways .. LOL