Favorite Anime Scene

Started by Zain, July 14, 2004, 10:44:27 PM

Zain

For my film class I have to do a presentation on a director. Naturally, I’m going to be doing it on an anime director (but I haven’t chosen which yet). At the end of the presentation, I have to show a short clip (~5 minutes) of the director’s work.

So I’m asking all of you for help in choosing a short clip. It doesn’t need to be clean or non-violent or anything. I’m thinking an action scene would be better than a romance scene because college kids don’t really care about hanky-panky… At least not in their shows.

Also, it needs to be somewhat compatible with American audiences. I don’t want something distinctly Japanese that no one in my class will understand.

So give me some suggestions! I don’t need to name of any directors, just the scene. Reply in a comment what series/movie the scene is from and a way to find it (the episode number or time in the movie, or something relative to the plot). Thanks!
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

DayDreamerNessa

actually i would suggest one of the many fight scenes seen in rurouni kenshin or samurai X. I mean who doesn't love to see good sword fighting scenes =P but then again i dont think they would last 5 min XD gl on your presentation zain i hope you find an adequate piece to show ^_^
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Tenba

It depends on the level of the class.  If it's more of a fun class, then sure, action scenes would be great.

If it's more of a serious analysis class, then I'd go with something from Kare Kano or FLCL.  (Anno is an absolutely brilliant director.)  Kare Kano and FLCL both have absolutely brilliant scenes that stretch the boundaries of visual storytelling to its limits, like the paper cut-out episode of Kare Kano, its emotion-evoking manga motion, or the comic book meta sequence in FLCL.  (I think that also makes it obvious what the thesis of the presentation should be too...)

Another fascinating director is Satoshi Kon, and one of the reality-to-fantasy morphing from Millenium Actress or Perfect Blue would round out a presentation on him rather nicely.

Both of those directors have produced anime in which the directing was noticeably brilliant, their direction almost becoming a character in itself.

Daisho

You could always go to something as mainstream as Animatrix.  There are some interesting sequences there and some of the people in the class may have actually seen it before...
Small minds are often the same

youngjediboy

i think almost any scene from Grave of the Fireflies would work well. or something from any of Miyazaki's other films too.
My Fanime 2004 pics are up: http://anhelo.2ya.com/album.html

DayDreamerNessa

i second something created by miyazaki
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Tenba

I thought about recommending Miyazaki too, but then I thought that Miyazaki might be exactly whom Zain meant when he said, "I don’t want something distinctly Japanese that no one in my class will understand."

youngjediboy

well, Grave of the Fireflies might be set in Japan... but i'm sure a story of a couple of children struggling and starving to death is something anyone from anywhere can understand... and in fact, is a problem that can, and does, happen anywhere in the world.

Tenba

I'm a rather standard spoiled American kid myself.  Beyond the typical reactions trained into me by Hollywood, Grave made absolutely no sense to me.  Of course, I haven't seen it in a very, very long time, so my memory might be wrong, but I recall that, after I dried my tears and thought about it, the older brother simply struck me as terminally stupid -- he had money in the bank but somehow decided to not use it, and part of what created the tear-jerking contrast was that he finally used the money to buy the stuff he needed after it was too late.  Besides, why didn't he go looking for the Red Cross or some other charity organization, or why didn't any of the adults they ran into wonder where their parents were and take them to a social worker to find a foster family?  How can their own make-shift family be so mean?  They're just kids!  (And, here in America, kids are king.)  Beyond the obvious tear-jerking contrivances, beyond the visceral emotional level, do we really understand Grave?  Kids just do not starve on their own in modern-day US.  I imagine it's even more true in other, more socialized modern countries.

Besides, from what I remember, Grave was also a very slow-moving piece.  I agree that the directing was brilliant, but I think it really need to take the entire film to build up the emotional sympathies that resulted in the gut-wrenching climax.  I can't recall any five-minute segments that would stand on its own.

youngjediboy

well, you pretty much just explained it... you're spoiled. that's the reason you wouldn't understand it.
and this was Japan while being retaliated against by Americans, so the rest of the people would be more occupied with trying to keep themselves alive instead of worrying about some kids who can't do anything for them. and actually... even in America, there are still plenty of kids starving out there. Americans aren't all that giving as you might think. yeah there are organizations, but certainly not enough of them to help every needy person in the country. and do you honestly think the regular citizen would give a damn? i mean, sure sometimes you'll give them a penny or two, but of course in your mind, you're thinking that they're gonna take that money to buy drugs.

but yeah, being a standard spoiled American kid, not only are you not aware of how things are in other countries, you don't know how horrible things can be in our own country.
anyway, i don't wanna get off the topic...

oh well, i guess i'll retract my suggestion to use Grave then, as pretty much no spoiled American kids would understand it.

KimaLucifer

Anything relating to the death of a best friend, like from the animated version of Miyazawa Genji's "Ginkatetsudou no yoru" relating to le cats :D
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

CloudStrife546

Hard to think up one...but one of my favorites was in Naruto.  The Chuunin exam, with Naruto against Kiba.  Everything is all serious...and well...her farts.  For some reason, I almost died laughing.

specter

One of my favorite scense is in Yu Yu Hakusho when Toguro kills Kuwabara, but not really much of an action scene even though Yusuke does fight better.

Also not an action scene but when Toguro and Genkai meet up in spirit world.
I am the world's most honest man, I admit I'm a liar.

KinFreon

One quote sums up my new favorite scene...

"I'm sorry, Shuji...this is what I've become."

specter

Quote from: "KinFreon"One quote sums up my new favorite scene...

Question from the ignorant person: Huh?  Although it is a cool line.
I am the world's most honest man, I admit I'm a liar.

KinFreon

Quote from: "specter"
Quote from: "KinFreon"One quote sums up my new favorite scene...

Question from the ignorant person: Huh?  Although it is a cool line.

SaiKano. Watch it. Love it.  8)

astroboy

No hanky panky love scenes eh? In that case I recommend the movie Ninja Scroll. There's no shortage of "action" scenes in that flick and that's sure to keep the college students awake.

The fight scene in the end when Jubei and Genma (wow same name as Ranma's father) on the burning ship was pretty kewl. I like how Jubei cuts off that guy's arm and he simply picks it up and reattaches it to his body.  8)

Kyle stabell

there's like 15 difrent Ranma scenes that come to mind but some I've only seen in the manga having not seen the hole series yet
Cosplay costumes:
2 Ranma outfits - 100% done
Himura Kenshin - 100% done
MGS2 guard - 85% done

the_Pink_Panther24

OH! this is easy.
that one scene in love hina where kataro walks in on them naked.

.....the 46th time it happened. it was VERY different and more deep then the other 48574334982197566 times. :D

youngjediboy

oh, how about scenes from Goldenboy? at least the guys would love it.  :D