Newtype USA and anime network

Started by Barnes, July 30, 2004, 11:21:52 PM

Barnes

I've read recently that with Newtype, the only way to get the free dvd each month is to suscribe.Not an option for me since I currently can't afford the subscriction price.
I don't get Anime Network but I've read that since its getting into mainstream cable, it will no longer be uncut.Is that true?
Any thoughts?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

KinFreon

Newtype USA, even when sold on-the-rack, does come with a DVD (and a poster, as well). You just have to make sure that the copy you buy is in a plastic wrapper. All the DVD gives you is the first full episode of a couple of shows, along with numerous previews and ads.

RyuHayabusa

Yes it's true, taken from animeondvd.com:

NewType USA August Edition
August issues are on the shelves and you probably noticed something. Yes, there's no DVD. The DVD is now exclusive to the people who have a direct subscription with NTUSA. So keep that in mind when you slap down your $10 for an issue now. If you want the DVD, you'll have to subscribe. Or you can find something else to do with your $10 now. The DVD for subscribers contains Super Milk-Chan Ep. 3 and quite a few trailers.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

KinFreon

That reeks of massive suckosity to the utmost.  :x

Barnes

Quote from: "RyuDOA2Hayabusa"Yes it's true, taken from animeondvd.com:

NewType USA August Edition
August issues are on the shelves and you probably noticed something. Yes, there's no DVD. The DVD is now exclusive to the people who have a direct subscription with NTUSA. So keep that in mind when you slap down your $10 for an issue now. If you want the DVD, you'll have to subscribe. Or you can find something else to do with your $10 now. The DVD for subscribers contains Super Milk-Chan Ep. 3 and quite a few trailers.

I was thinking that it was because of jackasses who would walk into the store and take the dvd out of the issue by ripping the plastic off.Thanks a ****ing lot you jackasses out there, you know who you are! :evil:
I bought the August issue anyway and the coverage is good enough for me.What about this price increase I heard about? I read about the magazine going to 14.99  (or something) starting September (not in the magazine itself). I hope thats a joke.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

SadisticSolace

I was so sad this month when I didn't get my free dvd with my 10 dollars. I was a little mad 10 dollars gone *sniffles* but but but it means that I'm going to need to be like give my magizine now with my DVD. lol I sound so mean lol

-Solace
Bunnies and Anime. Yummy ^.^

GokuMew2

I've never bought an issue of NewType USA but I remember that before they were released, they were going to be like $13-14 an issue. They cut the price a bit though to what they are now.

You know... The Japanese version of NewType is only like 800 JPY (so maybe $6.75?) AND they get better freebies like shitajiki and stuff. But I guess the trade-off is that the news and reviews won't be helpful unless you know some Japanese.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Mach5Motorsport

Newtype USA pulls the DVD from the newstand issues?!?!?!  BWWWHAHAHAHA! (sniff, sniff) :lol:   I'm sorry, but the DVD was the ONLY redeeming factor in parting with $10 for an over-hyped Animerica-Mag like Newtype USA.

Gah!  If you have a decent newstand in your area, demand tha they carry Protoculture Addicts!!!  The best anime themed magazine on the market today!!  Well-written articles and reviews without all the glitzy hype.  It only comes out bi-monthly, but its a great magazine. :D
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

shortpachoo

do u know anywhere around the bay area that sells that magazine

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

SadisticSolace

i'm not sure where they sale it in the bay Area. I onlyk now where they sale it in Redding CA. They sale it at the local Barns and Noble. I would say that they carry it in yours as well. Also the a gamestore might carry it down there. You have a lot more options.

-Solace
Bunnies and Anime. Yummy ^.^