Shoujo Manga ok for guys?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: November 23, 2004, 04:28:25 PM

Bliss & Goodbye

Well I've heard some problems with friends of mine buying Shojo manga. Course at first being a newb I was I didn't know what Shojo (or Shoujo) was. Aparrently its a girl romance manga (correct?). Anyway whats the big deal? I mean I go in stores and buy whatever manga I want (excluding hentai I won't get in 300 meters of such a thing). Anyway to summarize it up is it that big a deal to read Girls Manga if your a guy?

Please leave your most valued opinnion (most of all I love em').
Things to do when bored:
Games
Anime
Be bored.

VictimX

Whats wrong with hentai...? Well any way if you like reading shojo manga I see nothing wrong with that. I'll read anything if it keeps my busy.

KimaLucifer

Geez.

Yeah you might be mocked but my friend doesn't give up reading them.

Plus if girls read Shounen type manga, what's the big problem anyways?
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Bliss & Goodbye

Exactly what I'm thinking too! Whats the big deal! Some peopel don't have the guts to buy a shojo manga cause your a guy? Weird... just weird.
Things to do when bored:
Games
Anime
Be bored.

Auron-X

I dont mind Shoujo at all. I like it.
Dude you're the sasquatch you're real! I knew it all along! Naw jk but thats your nickname now hehe- Sword

I am also known as Sasquatch and Pervy Shoujo Man!

swordofthebezerk

I don't descriminate. If the series is good then I read it, actually it doesn't matter cuz I'm a manga freak hehe. All I can say is don't let other people's opinion keep you from doing what you like to do.

Updated Version

shyguy_2357

some ppl these days are kinda ignorant... so dont mind them...

I'm a guy... and yet most of my anime collection could be considered Shoujo, and do i care if ppl judge me just cause i have a soft side ? nope, not at all...

because if anyone challenged my masculine side, I'd prove it to them by beating them up  :roll:

but seriously, i wouldnt worry about it, if u like it, u like it... thats all that matters... cuz anime is cool like that  :)

Bliss & Goodbye

Quotesome ppl these days are kinda ignorant... so dont mind them...

I'm a guy... and yet most of my anime collection could be considered Shoujo, and do i care if ppl judge me just cause i have a soft side ? nope, not at all...

because if anyone challenged my masculine side, I'd prove it to them by beating them up  

but seriously, i wouldnt worry about it, if u like it, u like it... thats all that matters... cuz anime is cool like that

First thing WOW Im amazed by what you said there. True dat. true dat! So simply put in the end its about what you think not what some else thinks right?
Things to do when bored:
Games
Anime
Be bored.

Tsubasa

Although in recent years, I've been watching more shounen, shoujo used to be my favorite type of anime.  Here's the reasoning behind my anime watching: if you enjoy it, watch it.  If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it.  Like is like.

Besides, "shoujo" and "shounen" are very broad terms.  If the series began as a manga, it's all dependent on which publication it was serialized in.  X isn't you average shoujo.  Chobits and Tsubasa should be shoujo.  I think Video Girl Ai technically shounen, but it's very shoujo.  You get the idea.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

hellangel

there really shouldn't be a problem. sure shoujo manga is technically "girl" manga and shounen is technically for guys, but there really isn't a big difference between the two. i mean, sure, dbz is definately way different from, say, mars, but then you've got all that stuff in the middle thats a mix of both. as aforementioned, X/1999 is labeled under "shoujo manga" but, with all the blood and guts and ANGST, it's not really the classic shoujo romance.
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

ced1106

Quote from: "Bliss & Goodbye"Well I've heard some problems with friends of mine buying Shojo manga.

Smart manga artists will use both shonen and shojo elements, to appeal to a broader base. I hear Rumiko Takahasi, author of Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, etc., is the richest woman in Japan.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

YoureMyHiro

To each their own, although the only shoujo manga I indulge in is Kare Kano.

MeliCat

Guys who read magic girl comics are hot.  :roll:

M.e.l.i.c.a.t

Tsubasa

Quote from: "MeliCat"Guys who read magic girl comics are hot.  :roll:
Oh dang, I guess that makes me "hot." XD
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Lustful_Shiki

A lot of the anime I'm reading right now is shoujo, mainly because I was out looking for more series that were available.  I didn't even know what I was reading was shoujo until my friend pointed it out to me, and then I didn't even care :P

I like Kare Kano alot and I just read it through my sister since I don't want to buy all that manga (lol she can just do that for me).  I did get the dvds though but I'm still trying to get #5.  (I was trying to find it at first, and then I just got lazy -_-zzZ)

The one I am currently getting is Hana-Kimi.  I've also been getting Pita-Ten, I don't really know why and I'm not sure If it's shoujo or drama or what.  lol I haven't even touched the Pita-Ten books yet :P

Is it so precious because it has no form?
Is it so beautiful it's cruel?

ketay

well..i am a female and i like both shojo and shounen. i think everyone should just read what they like, otherwise what's the point?

Kaura117

Only fooles let labels restrict their reading. FOOLES I SAY!

::cough::

Shoujo/Shonen merely refers to the audience the manga/anime's geared primarily towards. >_> And if you're gonna let something like that stop you from reading/watching good stuff...

...FOOLE!

ketay

Quote from: "Kaura117"Only fooles let labels restrict their reading. FOOLES I SAY!

::cough::

Shoujo/Shonen merely refers to the audience the manga/anime's geared primarily towards. >_> And if you're gonna let something like that stop you from reading/watching good stuff...

...FOOLE!

that was put very nicely!