$3 gallon gas

Started by astroboy, March 16, 2005, 06:44:21 PM

astroboy

Gas prices are seen Tuesday, March 15, 2005, at a 76 gas station in Malibu, California........ouch!

I have a bad feeling we're all going to be seeing this pretty soon. :cry:

lyricaldanichan

Better start gassing up at Costco, Sam's Club or Safeway :O.

felicity869

Wow it's not that much here, yet. For once I'm actualy glad I don't drive, don't have to deal with insane gas prices. Now imagin gas costing twice as much as that, because it does in many other contries. My mom's girlfriend's brother in law (lol) is from England and has been out here visiting for a few months. Ever time someone complains about gas prices rising her just laughs and makes some comment about how nice it is to save so much compared to what he's used to.

youngjediboy

i'm thinking about switching to public transportation...
My Fanime 2004 pics are up: http://anhelo.2ya.com/album.html

gmontem

It makes me sad that it has been about 16 years since "Back to the Future 2" and we still don't have Mr. Fusion.  :(
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

MisakiFan41

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @____________________@ that's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

On yet another break....

Tsubasa

That's dirty.

Quote from: "gmontem"It makes me sad that it has been about 16 years since "Back to the Future 2" and we still don't have Mr. Fusion.  :(
Now that I know more, I realize how ridiculous Mr. Fusion is.  Mr. Fission maybe, but hella not fusion.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

jinnai_animexcalibur

dirty huh....gas aint getting any cleaner either.  8)
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

Leviathan

Man...that's terrible. On to Electric Cars I tell ya!

joshness

Quote from: "Leviathan"Man...that's terrible. On to Electric Cars I tell ya!

Until you factor in repair costs =(.. Seriously though, we need to really look into other forms of fuel...  something like this...http://www.globalstewards.org/biodiesel.htm  With all the fast food restraunts in my area, I'm sure they could supply quite a bit of fuel.

Barnes

I need to grow wings and learn to fly.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Tsubasa

Quote from: "joshness"Until you factor in repair costs =(.. Seriously though, we need to really look into other forms of fuel...  something like this...http://www.globalstewards.org/biodiesel.htm  With all the fast food restraunts in my area, I'm sure they could supply quite a bit of fuel.
Personally, I'm all for hydrogen-powered cars.  The exhaust is harmless, hydrogen is the most plentiful element in the universe, and it won't change how cars handle.  Now all they need to work on is getting the cars out there and H-fuel stations.  What a monumental task. -_-
-Tsubasa

RyuHayabusa

I don't care, I miss driving. I hate Mass Transit and I love to drive. Like this is going to stop me from getting a car. It will sure burn a hole the size of a gundam's cannon, but anime already does that to me as well.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

swordofthebezerk

Heh, even more of a reason for me to jog and ride my bike everywhere. That and the Light Rail/BART/VTA.

Updated Version

OniCourseMusha

Compare to most country, you're glad that you're in America!! Look at the normal price in other coutnry for example Japan!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

G.I.R

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
Quote from: "joshness"Until you factor in repair costs =(.. Seriously though, we need to really look into other forms of fuel...  something like this...http://www.globalstewards.org/biodiesel.htm  With all the fast food restraunts in my area, I'm sure they could supply quite a bit of fuel.
Personally, I'm all for hydrogen-powered cars.  The exhaust is harmless, hydrogen is the most plentiful element in the universe, and it won't change how cars handle.  Now all they need to work on is getting the cars out there and H-fuel stations.  What a monumental task. -_-
uh... I hate to tell you this, but hydrogen is not a fuel source per se.  Yes there is a lot of hydrogen on earth, but most of it is either locked up in water, or various hydro-carbons, and is only a small amount of the mass of the planet (Oxygen is the most plentiful, and silicon is the second.  Think silicon dioxide, aka sand).  Now, how do you retrive hydrogen?  Usualy electricity is involved.  A lot of electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels, nuclear power, or hydro-electric, meaning at best, hydrogen is a power storage system.  I know, you're thinking "...hey what about solar, or wind power?", Solar doesn't produce great amounts of current, and isn't very dependble, or cheap to set up.   Wind requires a lot of area to set up windmills, and needs lots of maintanence.  Hydro Electric might be the best bet for supplying power for hydrogen seperation.  and as far as burning cleaner, well it's somewhat cleaner, but unfortunatly, because of the nitrogen in the air, there's still a lot of nitrogen compunds produced during combustion.  Maybe down the road an easier way to aquire hydrogen will be found, but for now, it's neither cheap, or efficent to do so.  Meantime, until I get my hands on a Shizuma drive, I can get by paying the low(???) price of $2.31 a gallon in Anaheim  
  :wink:

youngjediboy

they should figure out a way to use human waste as fuel. that would help make long crappy commutes and road trips a lot more pleasant!  :shock:
My Fanime 2004 pics are up: http://anhelo.2ya.com/album.html

KyraEnsui

I cannot really complain so much about gas prices because I know for some facts that I learned in history and geography that anywhere outside of United States, gas prices are like sky rocketed. The last time I heard was how much gas cost in Europe like around $10 a gallon. Ouchies. So in terms, we can't really complain much; it just that we're spoil. That's all.

AZKaban

Quote from: "KyraEnsui"The last time I heard was how much gas cost in Europe like around $10 a gallon. Ouchies.
I've heard it's more like $1 / 1 liter , or $4 for a gallon, so we pretty much there (in the "Ouch!" area).  Or will be there very soon...  :?

Tsubasa

Quote from: "G.I.R"uh... I hate to tell you this, but hydrogen is not a fuel source per se.  Yes there is a lot of hydrogen on earth, but most of it is either locked up in water, or various hydro-carbons, and is only a small amount of the mass of the planet (Oxygen is the most plentiful, and silicon is the second.  Think silicon dioxide, aka sand).  Now, how do you retrive hydrogen?  Usualy electricity is involved.  A lot of electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels, nuclear power, or hydro-electric, meaning at best, hydrogen is a power storage system.  I know, you're thinking "...hey what about solar, or wind power?", Solar doesn't produce great amounts of current, and isn't very dependble, or cheap to set up.   Wind requires a lot of area to set up windmills, and needs lots of maintanence.  Hydro Electric might be the best bet for supplying power for hydrogen seperation.  and as far as burning cleaner, well it's somewhat cleaner, but unfortunatly, because of the nitrogen in the air, there's still a lot of nitrogen compunds produced during combustion.  Maybe down the road an easier way to aquire hydrogen will be found, but for now, it's neither cheap, or efficent to do so.  Meantime, until I get my hands on a Shizuma drive, I can get by paying the low(???) price of $2.31 a gallon in Anaheim  
  :wink:
You are correct, it is something of a task to separate hydrogen from other elements.  However, in the event that it became the primary fuel source, I anticipate mass production to drive down costs.  Perhaps I'm wrong to take such a long-term view, but oh well.  There is also the option of distributed production-production at the point of use.  While that means that each refueling station can serve less cars per day, it requires less capital investment and a minimal transport infrastructure.  Ultimately, I'm just thinking hydrogen is probably a better idea than most cause it just won't run out.
-Tsubasa