$3 gallon gas

Started by astroboy, March 16, 2005, 06:44:21 PM

gmontem

Would it be wrong to put hyper little kids and scary otakus in a giant hamster ball and make then run to power up our automobiles?
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Mach5Motorsport

We must harness the power of STEAM!!!!!!!!! :D
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

astroboy

Quote from: "gmontem"Would it be wrong to put hyper little kids and scary otakus in a giant hamster ball and make then run to power up our automobiles?
Remembers that brief scene where they use chocobos running in giant hamster wheels in Final Fantasy 10 to power a ship.  

I don't buy the argument that higher gas prices will cause alternative sources of power to magically appear as a replacement. As what was mentioned earlier...gas is much more expensive in Europe but what do Europeans use to power their cars? Hint: it's not fuel cells, batteries, or hamster wheels. :wink: However they do drive much smaller cars then the average American.

joshness

Quote from: "astroboy"
Quote from: "gmontem"Would it be wrong to put hyper little kids and scary otakus in a giant hamster ball and make then run to power up our automobiles?
Remembers that brief scene where they use chocobos running in giant hamster wheels in Final Fantasy 10 to power a ship.  

I don't buy the argument that higher gas prices will cause alternative sources of power to magically appear as a replacement. As what was mentioned earlier...gas is much more expensive in Europe but what do Europeans use to power their cars? Hint: it's not fuel cells, batteries, or hamster wheels. :wink: However they do drive much smaller cars then the average American.

I agree that alternative sources will not be spurred due to gas prices.  It will happen when we run out of oil.  Oil is too big of a business for some alternative to take over.  Look at how powerfull OPEC is, do you think they are willing to give up that power?  America's infrastructure is based on the use of fossil fuels.  I believe that we should look for cleaner alternatives, but realistically I don't see them being a viable alternative any time soon.

I would also like to point out that Hydroelectric power has its costs on the environment as well.  Dams change the natural flow of rivers which result in changes to the environment and ecosystem.    Just look at the historical environmental changes of California due to water policies and you will see what I mean.

jinnai_animexcalibur

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"We must harness the power of STEAM!!!!!!!!! :D

STEAMBOY!!!!  :twisted:
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

YoureMyHiro

Dude these gas prices are bunk although I feel it was inevitable.

Ska_Kitti

Quote from: "MisakiFan41"YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @____________________@ that's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: "swordofthebezerk"Heh, even more of a reason for me to jog and ride my bike everywhere. That and the Light Rail/BART/VTA.

:D I guess that's more incentive to take the BART more often? lmao.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Leviathan

Why not go around with solar panel plates on our heads, lol. We store energy that way and plug into the car and go vrrrooomm! LMAO. :lol:

But seriously Solar energy is the way to go. In Arizona they have a Solar Power Plant by Tempe. Talk about cool.

jinnai_animexcalibur

no because people want to keep their 57 chevys. they dont want to rely on that technology crap. (sarcasm)
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

Vanessa

I remember 2 year's back, I was on empty and was refusing to pay 1.78 and searched around for the cheapest price and then was left stranded. Now I would KILL to pay 1.78. The most expensive that I've seen was 2.70.

Getting a bike is looking like a really, really GOOD idea at the moment.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

God...I hope I dont have to drive much during Fanime. Those gas prices make me cry back when it breached 2 bucks.

3 bucks however isnt too far off, considering the summer demand is already looking like beyond nuts. *SigH* I tell you..OPEC wants our money like water in the desert...
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

YoureMyHiro

Dude, I have to commute from San Jose to the Monterey Bay everyday for work, gas prices are raping me.

Vanessa

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"Dude, I have to commute from San Jose to the Monterey Bay everyday for work, gas prices are raping me.

I'm so GLAD that it only takes me 3 mins to get to work.

But school is a good 45 mins. ~_~

EndLeSS8

the highest I remember it was in Vancouver was 98cents a litre, which is still more than that, unfortunately.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

VictimX

Soon to be gas prices,

who will pay then?

Vanessa

Quote from: "VictimX"Soon to be gas prices,

who will pay then?

Now that's the truth!

Barnes

Quote from: "Leviathan"Why not go around with solar panel plates on our heads, lol. We store energy that way and plug into the car and go vrrrooomm! LMAO. :lol:

But seriously Solar energy is the way to go. In Arizona they have a Solar Power Plant by Tempe. Talk about cool.

Good idea.I should tell that to my uncle. He runs a solar business.

I still say growing wings and flying is what I want to do.
Flying>all.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

youngjediboy

why can't we go nuclear? that way there wouldn't even be a need to refuel!
"rolling nukes" har har har!  :twisted:
My Fanime 2004 pics are up: http://anhelo.2ya.com/album.html

Omnipotent_One

DANG THATS EXPENSIVE!  WHy don't they make Gas out of Soy Beans.
"This place is the last you'll ever see. Your deaths means nothing to me."
- Guts

G.I.R

Okay, just to let everyone in on something, That same station has been a  local TV news item the last few days, but the reality is it's a Malibu thing.  Most stations in SoCal arn't charging near that much.  Prices I've seen in south L.A. / Orange county are more around $2.22 to $2.39 per gallon for regular unleaded.  Gas in Malibu, and surrounding areas have always been high.  It's just that because someone is charging in excess of $3.00 that this has been hitting the news (not to say that gasoline is cheap).