Anime suggestions

Started by Alistayre, March 19, 2005, 04:18:47 PM

Alistayre

Hi everyone,

This is going to be my first cosplay convention and well... I haven't watched that much anime. Yeah, I know, you're probably saying "why are you going then??" I'm going as someone from Final Fantasy and I want to learn more about anime before the convention comes. What anime shows or movies should I watch? I've seen an episode or two of FullMetal Alchemist and Inuyasha, and I used to watch Pokémon a couple of years ago, but I want to get out of that. I need your suggestions to get into anime.

Please don't bash me, everyone has to start somewhere :)

RyuHayabusa

This thread belongs in the general anime chat, so i'm moving it there. Please read the rules before posting, thanks.  :wink:
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Alistayre

Quote from: "RyuHayabusa"This thread belongs in the general anime chat, so i'm moving it there. Please read the rules before posting, thanks.  :wink:

Ah, I did read the rules. Just posted in the wrong topic, sorry  :cry:  Anyway, do you have any anime suggestions?  :D

swordofthebezerk

Cold, Ryu, cold.

Well depending on what ya like and what you can get your hands on. You won't get much anime experience from just watching Cartoon Network I'll tell ya that right now. In fact you might get ridiculed for that fact. What I recommend is checking out some of the anime related threads. Those can point you in the direction of what people are interested in. I can recommend you some anime but I don't know what you like personally.

What I can say however is go to www.animeinfo.com if you see some titles and wanna see what they are about.

Updated Version

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "Alistayre"
Quote from: "RyuHayabusa"This thread belongs in the general anime chat, so i'm moving it there. Please read the rules before posting, thanks.  :wink:

Ah, I did read the rules. Just posted in the wrong topic, sorry  :cry:  Anyway, do you have any anime suggestions?  :D

I have too many to list trust me...but here are some that I'm watching right now:

Mai Hime
Gundam Seed Destiny
Tenjou Tenge
Melody of Oblivion
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sailor Moon S
Tsukuyomi:Moon Phase
Gundam X
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Kiddy Grade
UtaKata
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Elfen Lied
Bleach
Peach Girl
Ah! My Goddess TV
Berserk
Stratos 4
Witch Hunter Robin
AIR
School Rumble
Cromartie High School
Azumanga Daioh
Excel Saga  
and if you want more, just let me know :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Tsubasa

Do you have any particular film/television genres you like?  That can help direct our recommendations.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Alistayre

Wow RyuHayabusa, that's a lot!

Let's see... I like action, mystery, maybe a little romance, too.

Which anime shows are most popular at the conventions?

Ska_Kitti

Ou my turn! ^_^

Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Chrno Crusade
Galaxy Angel
Lupin the Third
Rayearth
Elf Princess Rane
Tenchi Universe
Saber Marionette J
Lost Universe
Pretty Solider Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SS
Sailor Moon Stars
Chobits
Bakuretsu Hunters
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
.hack//SIGN
.hack//LIMINALITY
.hack//DUSK
Ruin Explorers
X
Escaflowne

^^; That's all I remember for now. Maybe I'll remember more later.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

ced1106

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say that if you can watch whatever the local anime club is showing, you'll do fine. AFAIK, Anime clubs show not only good shows with subtitles, but uncommon shows besides the "classic" stuff. If an anime club isn't available, the dubbed anime on Cartoon Network Adult Swim and G4 Anime Unleashed will work, as will bitorrent and fansubs (anime burned on CD's) from friends. It **is** ironic that everyone assumes you've seen "classic" anime like Evangelion and Trigun, so it's harder to find these series (you won't find fansubs b/c once an anime title is licensed, you're supposed to not distribute the fansub).

While anime costs $$$, you local bookstore chain should have manga. Interesting, manga's not as popular (you can't download a book I guess) as anime. Manga typically costs $10 a volume, but some titles (eg. Viz's Naruto and Ruroni Kenshin) sell for $8 a volume.

And, of course, if you go to a convention in a subject you're familiar with, you'll have prep for the general chaos of a convention. (Hint: Follow the Fanime schedule when it's available online!)

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

KimaLucifer

Hmm. We can suggest anime but that doesn't always mean it's good.

My personal favorite is Yakitate Japan. It's got a better twist to it than the manga series personally. It fits non of your genres, but it's good in a crazy psycho sort of way (I mean, how many ways can you BAKE bread?)

Action wise I suggest the good old hellsing. Dark, but it's good.
Then we hit Punipuni poemi. I highly do not recommend this if you're under 18. (You can watch the series called Excel Saga by the same people, it's a lot less sex-based)

Romance wise.. I suggest Fruits Basket. People can annoy you to hell about it, it's good, let's just hope that you can live through stereotypes (in my opinion)

Mystery....Well there is a series that's not overly Mystery but more suspence filled. I suggest Boogie Pop Phantom. It's not a long series but it's very beautiful. It takes 2 sittings to actually understand what's going on though.

And I'll only suggest these because everyone seems to shove a buttload of anime titles at you.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Jyunishinsho

Quote from: "KimaLucifer"
Then we hit Punipuni poemi. I highly do not recommend this if you're under 18. (You can watch the series called Excel Saga by the same people, it's a lot less sex-based)

Hahaha! Reminds me of Fanime last year (I watched it in the Tabletop gaming room) Oh yeah, that was quality vulgar stuff. But hey, it was funny.

If you were to ask me, I might list, but most of the titles I may say may be posted already.

My personal opinion: Watch Revolutionary Girl Utena the Movie. That is to me the most beautiful anime/movie EVER. I was moved.

swordofthebezerk

Quote from: "Alistayre"Wow RyuHayabusa, that's a lot!

Let's see... I like action, mystery, maybe a little romance, too.

Which anime shows are most popular at the conventions?

Lately the most popular ones have been Naruto which is a ninja anime. There are always people obsessed with the Gundam series.
There are also gonna be series in the video rooms that you can sample at Fanime. You can always tell which one is the most popular by how many people are in the room.

Since you mentioned you like action, mystery and romance I have some that might fit into your liking.

Bleach
Love Hina
Fullmetal Alchemist
Also the titles Kima mentioned, you can't really go wrong with.

Updated Version

OniCourseMusha

My favorite romance and comedy anime would be Da Capo!
Gets interesting funny at the beginning and at the end, serious drama! Really good! So go check that one out!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Jyunishinsho

Can't forget about Negima! both the manga and the anime!

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "RyuHayabusa"
AIR

Heh heh heh. >D
epic progressive

vox

Bata-kun

While it doesn't fall into action, mystery or romance, good luck finding "School Rumble" if you plan to watch that. (You'll pretty much encounter raws.)

Tsubasa

Since so many series have already been mentioned, I think I'll just note the series that I think should have been cited, but have not yet.

Action... I don't watch enough of.  My favorite action series is Inital D though.  Watch it, even if you don't particuarily like cars.  It's addictive.

There's not much in terms of mystery out there.  I'm amazed that people haven't mentioned Noir and Spiral.  Both good mystery series.

There's so much romance available.  Personally though, when I think "romance anime," I think Fushigi Yuugi.  Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo "Karekano," is some awesome stuff too.  To Heart is also a good one if you can take really slow-paced stuff.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Leviathan

If you like mystery go with Spiral. It's a great one.

Vanessa

Marmalade Boy for romance/angst

Ranma 1/2 / Urusei Yatsura for laughts

Naruto for everything else.

HanyaanFaery

I know it's getting to be insanely popular, but see if you can watch ALL of Fullmetal Alchemist. It's popular for a reason.

If you like action and screwball comedy in one, try and find some well-subtitled One Piece. Stay away from the FoxBox stuff, as it'll make your ears bleed, but the subtitled version is hilarious. (Oh, and incidentally, Hong Kong One Piece is a totally different level of hilarity, due to the strange subtitles...ROOF.)

I highly HIGHLY recommend Bleach. It's awesome.

If yangst and bishounen are your thing and you want something newer than Weiß or Yami no Matsuei, the newest yangsty bishounen show is Meine Liebe. Hey, I like it.

Most anime fans are familiar with at least one CLAMP title. Chobits is one of the newer and more popular ones, although I personally prefer some of their older stuff like Rayearth and X.

If you want to go Old Skool, check out Rose of Versailles. Don't go in expecting Gonzo-style animation, since it dates back to the 70's, but WOW is the story good.

Fruits Basket may have the most annoying fanbase on the planet, but don't let that put you off. It's a great show.

If you like serious fantasy stuff, try Lodoss or Berserk. Both are quite good. Berserk is newer and has flashier animation (oh yeah, and a TON of violence), but Lodoss is one of the anime classics and since it's available relatively cheaply on DVD, I'd recommend giving it a try.

From what you say you like, I think you'd just LOVE Matantei Loki Ragnarok. Too bad it wasn't very popular as a fansubbed series, and then ADV bought the license and has sat on it for over a year now, so it's virtually impossible to find.