Der Cosplay on DVD

Started by Not Erica, March 26, 2005, 06:14:20 PM

Would you buy a Der Cosplay DVD for $10?

Yes
72 (86.7%)
No
11 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: March 26, 2005, 06:14:20 PM

Not Erica

Many people have asked over the years for a copy of Der Cosplay on tape. Well, it's probably not going to happen this year, but it's not too late to be thinking about Der Cosplay '06. Just to get a general idea of interest, we're taking a poll: Would you buy the DVD?
Don't forget to sign up for Der Cosplay '05!

hakudoushi

for just $10?! of course i would *_*
no really, i have a pet ninja.

KindaRandomKris

Good Lord, yes. I would jump at any opportunity to purchase the DVD.
It'd be nice if the recording were made at a good angle, and from a reasonable distance, too.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Vanessa

I would! The whole cosplay event is one of the main reasons I go  to Fanime. I would easily pay $$$ for this on dvd.

Mach5Motorsport

Fanime did sponsor/sell a 2003 version of the DerCosplay on tape.  The cost to edit/master copies did not match the level of copies actually sold.  We kept the unit cost low, but we didn't break even.  In reality, the cost per tape of disk should be around $40/50 if you expect a professional effort or near professional effort.

I don't think we even broke 40 copies sold back then.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

hellangel

;___;

well, i would probably pay $30 for one...but i guess it makes sense not to sell professionally-made DVDs/tapes.
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Spiritsnare

Yes, you shouldn't really go for professionally made/edited DVDs - I'd pay, at the most, $20 to buy one. ^_^
epic progressive

vox

Mach5Motorsport

That's the balance to be found when trying to market videos/dvds.  I can tell you that if we tried to sell the videos a few years back at $20 we would have been lucky to sell 10 of them.  It wouldn't have mattered how professional the packaging and yet we were trying to assemble a product that wasn't cheap or amaturish.  

It is a catch-22 when you are a fan-based enterprise and looking to market convention items.  How serious will your audience/consumer base  respond?  We can't market on the level of even a small third level video reatailer,  but we wanted to present an item that is better than some weekend fan-dubber at a Star Trek dealers table.

It is a struggle of expectations and realizations.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

doorbell

I'd pay. That stiff is the kind of this you want to always remember - its so damn funny!

Spiritsnare

I'd pay, but the best thing would be if one would be kind enough to tape it and digitize it and make it available for download, free, online.

edit: one might want to put a 'donate' link in case he doesn't have that much bandwidth...
epic progressive

vox

hellangel

hm...well i probably can videotape the event, dunno how good the quality will be though...can make dvds....
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

h-chan

I say it depends. Sometimes the cosplay events turn out to be not even worth your showing up...no offense to anyone who has participated.

UsakoMinako

I think if it we taped and then just some quick clean up with the raw footage and no fancy work slapped on a dvd would be just fine for $20.
It can include an insert with the numbers order like the tape ^_^
No cd case just a dlip cover would do!

Our group is looking to tape it, so we should have a copy ^_^

otakuya

Quote from: "h-chan"I say it depends. Sometimes the cosplay events turn out to be not even worth your showing up...no offense to anyone who has participated.

I guess you're the only one who picked "no" on the poll, hmm?

MisakiFan41

I'd definately would buy one...especially last years =D will that be on sale?

On yet another break....

astroboy

*tosses in 2 cents*

Three years ago I never knew you could "download" an AMV. With the advent of more bandwidth offered by webhosts, bigger hard drives, and P2P...DVD retailers are having trouble selling their wares *take a look at some of the threads in the dealers section of this board* and you'll know exactly what I mean.

If full time DVD retailers are having trouble....how would Fanime fare trying to push it's "cosplay DVD"? Sounds like a guaranteed financial train wreck.

An argument can be made that DVD's are now fast becoming obsolete thanks to mpeg4 video encoders...but that's a discussion that can be saved for a different message board.   8)

Spiritsnare

Yeah...either DVD or just release it, free, online.

Ask Blues/Great Teacher Largo if he can lend his cameraman for a moment there...;)
epic progressive

vox

serajwl

i'll buy it!!! a copy of der cosplay would be awsome. i can show my kids and be like "This is what mommy did in high school!"

jess3zor

is there anything to stop people from making personal videos of der cosplay?
Im sure if people have already taped an event its somewhere on the internet ^^
But yeah if they were being sold, i would buy one, even at low quality. But i think it would possibly end up costing more then it would bring in.
I DONNO, BUT YEA I WOULD BUY IT ^^
Dont forget your fanny-pack.
My pouch can only hold so much.

astroboy

Quote from: "serajwl"i'll buy it!!! a copy of der cosplay would be awsome. i can show my kids and be like "This is what mommy did in high school!"
I think you're forgeting something. By the time you have kids nobody will be using DVD's. Your children will give you really strange looks and you'll have to explain to them:

"A DVD stands for digital versatile disc, it's what we had before HLC." (Holographic Laser Crystals)  :wink: