Anime Fans Over 30 Years Old Panel

Started by ININ, April 26, 2005, 07:04:00 AM

ININ

Fanime'10 Anime Fans Over 30

Monday May 31 11am-noon Panel #1 Room Marriott Salon 1:2

I just thought of a suggestion for a panel.  How about a panel that talks about what it’s like being a 30 year old or older anime fan.  Anime fans can ask questions such as anime and careers, relationships, money, how much time devoted to anime, any thoughts about quitting, favorite moments being an anime fan, and anything else.

Good idea or bad idea?

steve bennett

Awesome Idea Inin!
You should host this and I second that motion.
Would be nice for the over 30 generations to be able to relax and talk old school anime/manga ourselves lol.
:)
Steve Bennett
Grand Poohbah Koala
"My goal is to make Life so sweet!"

ININ

No problem.  It's my first to host a panel.  And I like to have some other anime fans as well.  I'm not a know it all anime person. XD

How do I inform Live Programming about the potential panel?  And how can I recruit a few anime fans to join the panel?  Any help is appreciated.

Tony

I like this! Try e-mailing [email protected] or [email protected]. Put "Panel" somewhere in the subject, just in case!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ININ

ced1106

Sure -- I'd be interested in being on the panel.

Gilles Portrais (sp) would be a **very** good guest for the panel. I attended one of his panels at Anime OD and he went over the history of anime fans in the US.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

ps. Speaking of being "old", Viz is putting out in English the Dr. Slump manga, by the same artist as Dragonball and Dragonball Z. Dr. Slump was originally published in Japan in **1980** and is older than most anime viewers.
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

ININ

Awesome  :)  You are the first person to volunteer to be on the panel.  Is anyone else interested in being on the panel?

I have not received a response from Fanime Con Live Programming staff.  I email them later today.

ced1106

I'm pretty sure LP is gearing up -- the panel idea is good, but it might be too late (see the "Where's the schedule" thread, lol). You'll also have to start networking for older anime viewers to be part of the panel. Unfortunately, now may be on the late side. Since you're in San Jose, I'd chat with the staff of No Name; I think some of them are in their 30's or late 20's. Foothill Anime also has older attendees. At the con, the staff and staff heads tend to be older, and, of course, you'll find parents. Hope this panel works out this or next year!

Gilles Portrais' site:
http://www.koyagi.com/

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

ININ

Cedric, thanks for the input.  I bring back this topic towards the end of 2005 and prepare the panel for Fanime Con 2006.

Ikari

Poll the audience to find out how many fans:
* Have a 401k
* Live with their parents
* Have their own apartment/condo/house
* Are married
You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on an otaku. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp pocky stick in your eye.
F'nOtaku - Celebrating 100 Years Of Annoying Fans

zaitcev

So, do we have a slot or do we not have a slot? I understand that Fanime finalizes schedule one or two days before the con, but surely they should be able to tell if the number of panels is exceeded.

ced1106

Quote from: "ININ"Cedric, thanks for the input.  I bring back this topic towards the end of 2005 and prepare the panel for Fanime Con 2006.

Woohoo -- Gilles WILL be at the con! If you haven't attended on of his panels, you don't know the history -- and future -- of anime. Anyway, he's very approachable and, as a panel speaker, would give great insight into what us old folks had to go through to watch anime. (:

(Actually, I only started watching anime a "few" years ago, and only b/c Tenchi Muyo was on PBS after the Red Green Show, lol.)

EDIT: Blarg. Thought the panel was for 2006. Tentatively, the time conflicts with the hours I'm staffing the game room.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Tony

I saw the panel listed in the preliminary schedules...

Gilles would be a good addition. He really speaks to my academic side.  8)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ININ

O.K.  I received an email confirmation from Live Programming.  The panel is going to take place on Saturday at 2:00 P.M. in Panel Room 4.  Is there anyone interested in being part of the panel?

I'm aware of the short notice and the shotty planning.   :cry:  I just received the confirmation and I was not sure Live Programming accepted the idea for 2005.

jpalmer

You might want to try the UnPanel format, popularized at Bloggercon:

http://www.bloggercon.org/2004/04/21#a1310

This is the format that I've elected to use for the 2005 Fanfic (un)Panel

I attended the November '04 Bloggercon, and felt that this fomat made a
lot of sense for many of the Fanime Panels. I think for VIPs and GOHs the traditional panel format makes more sense, but for things like Fanfiction
and other open-ended fan topics opening up the room makes more sense.

BTW, I'm over 30 (and then some) so see you Saturday....

ININ

Jpalmer, thanks for the tips.

Today, I feel much better compared to yesterday with the frantic worries.  *Wipes last of the sweat off forehead*  I currently have other important stuff requiring my attention.

I don't think there is going to be a big attendance for the panel.  If very few people attend the panel and I was the only panelist, that's great.  In fact, I like to have that situation.  :)

ININ

Anime Fans Over 30 is schedule for Monday, 10am to 11am-Panel Room 1.  Same format as last year.  Audience talks 80% of the time and I talk 20% of the time.  Tell stories, share experiences, and discuss the latest in anime or whatever.

ININ

Anime Fans Over 30 for Fanime '07 is scheduled for Friday at 6pm in Panel Room #1.  Same format the last two years. Audience talks 80% of the time and I talk 20% of the time.  Tell stories, share experiences, and discuss the latest in anime or whatever.

After the panel is over, anyone who wants to hang out we can go out for dinner.

BrightHeart76

How long does the forum go on for?  I'm going to a 3:30 showing of Pirates that day, I'm sure I'll miss the begining but I hope I can catch at least part of the panel.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

ININ

The panel is one hour.  Panel is 6pm-7pm.