[idea] Iron Chef cooking compettition!

Started by pngaou, May 02, 2005, 12:39:09 AM

pngaou

after reading through the japanese cooking panel, i thought it would be really awesome to do - iron chef panel/cooking compettition!!!

you could either do it the way they do it on tv (where it's a random main ingredient and 2 or a few more compete in a limited amount of time), or make it some kind of big cooking compettition where there are different categories and a certain amount of people can enter to win prizes (i think this idea might work better).

for example, you could have the categories of

- sushi
- main japanese course
- japanese dessert

anyone could enter in either of these categories. there would be set rules such as a time limit, the amount of people you could have in a team/group, what equipment may/may not be used, etc. of course, people would provide their own equipment and ingredients.

at the end of the compettiton, there would be judges to grade the different foods based on presentation, taste, uniqueness, etc. you could even make some of the fanimecon guests judges!

i think it'd be a fun way to involve people more with japanese culture and learn new things.

Spiritsnare

Actually, I don't think it should just be limited to judges. Let the audience decide.

If this actually does take off. XD If so, I'll be there :D
epic progressive

vox

serajwl

*gasp* i would SO do it!!!

i'm in if it happens :D

Nina Star 9

sounds good, but would be really really hard to pull off, i think. plus, no shellfish. ^^

pngaou

i think the hard thing about letting the audience judge is that the contestants would have to make a CRAPLOAD of food to be able to let everyone taste some. that's why i think it'd be easier to just have a set amount of judges.  :)

Spiritsnare

Have the judges be random people from the audience, then. ^_^

Extra super ultra double-platinum gold bonus points of bonusism are awarded to cosplayers...let them taste the food and act in character :D
epic progressive

vox

otakuya

If this happens, I wanna be the Iron Chef. I can face any challenger. :)

Iron Chef Otaku. :roll:  That's so me. I love cooking improv.

Jyunishinsho

One big problem:

The cost of all the ingredients. What are you going to do? Go to the Albertson's?

The_Jane

this would be badass.

But there isn't anywhere at this venue where we could get two kitchen setups going. There would be fire hazards, it'd be waaay to risky, plus the hotel's would not give up their kitchens for us, and if we tried to pay them to, it'd be royally expensive. Room service, etc.

Excellent Idea, but moreso for "Dream Fanime" rather than actuality.

ced1106

Quote from: "The_Jane"But there isn't anywhere at this venue where we could get two kitchen setups going. There would be fire hazards, it'd be waaay to risky, plus the hotel's would not give up their kitchens for us, and if we tried to pay them to, it'd be royally expensive. Room service, etc.

Yep.

OTOH, It doesn't have to be at Fanime, it doesn't have to be live, and it can be parody. Participants are local and use their own kitchens. Fanime provides the "main ingredient". Participants have 1/2 an hour buy additional ingredients at a local Asian supermarket. Videotape the shopping and cooking. Edit down to 1/2 an hour and show at a panel, or as three ten-minute parts during the AMVs. If the food can be judged on the day of the video showing, all the better.

Dork Tower used ramen as the Iron Chef parody ingredient, but I'm sure there's creativity with Pocky, jelly drink, or whatever's on sale at Ranch 99.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Akira Miyamoto

Thatnwould be awesome! Of course, the addition of distractingly hilarious dubbing would be wonderful...
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

xMkLx

is it going to include peoples lip movements not matching what they say?
Rawr

Akira Miyamoto

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

frumpy

Um actually, this idea won't fly. I've already suggested the Iron Chef idea for a few years already and the upper heads won't bite.

1) Serving food on convention grounds is going to cost us. The hotels and SJCC are really strict about serving food on their grounds and have authority to charge us additional fees on food. It doesn't matter if this is a contest or not. This is still 'serving food'.

2) Liability issues. If an attendee gets food poisoning, guess who's liable? Yep, Fanime. Because we allowed this food competition in the first place, we're responsible. I know I wouldn't want to get salmonella poisoning because chicken wasn't cooked long enough...
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Leishu

And then there's the copyright payments for using the words 'Iron' and 'Chef' in sequence now :p

But then, creative people could think of other names.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Nyxyin

Quote from: "Leishu"And then there's the copyright payments for using the words 'Iron' and 'Chef' in sequence now :p

But then, creative people could think of other names.
Bah, who needs creativity?  Are we not anime fans?  Ryouri no tetsujin.

xMkLx

you could call it plastic chef or metal chef. FULL METAL CHEF XD hahaha  FMC
Rawr

Leishu

Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

dealerJason

You know what?  Sounds like a great idea for a 3 minute movie!  Eh?  Someone want to do that for 2006?  I would love to see an Iron Chef parody.
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

BunofGovt

Would this work for a Cosplay?  Like the two-act group at the last Masquerade? (first act: introduction of contestants and theme; second act: battle or judging)

Or maybe take signups on Friday for those interested to film Saturday morning and show it on Sunday during Cosplay?  I'm not that familiar with filming or what, so I don't know if that would be enough time to film something, edit it, and show it.

Plus there's the logistics bit, where to film (whose house), etc.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.