A-kon Bans Signs

Started by ced1106, May 05, 2005, 12:00:28 PM

ced1106

Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Vanessa

(some seem dangerously akin to prostitution, and could result in jailing of an offender, or worse).

!! Texas, sigh...

Jyunishinsho

Aiya....I didn't expect that to be so large like that.

-As a (sort of) pioneer of...signage (the Glomp me Tonberry), I feel a little bad that it grew out of hand.

Vanessa

This is the first time I've been to the Akon site. It's rather well done and there are tons to read. I like it alot. Kinda wish the fanime.com site was like that. It's like they're site was made by fans for fans.

YoureMyHiro

Im alright with it I guess moreso because they never offer anything I want with those signs. Hell yeah Id pay good money if the service was worth it. You know? Entertain me with something funny like rolling yourself down the stairs or if there was an actual pretty girl with a sign. Most self respecting people leave the signs at home although Im dangerously attracted to Bartboys signs because well 1. one has a osaka and 2. it keeps me on time for my hentai marathon.

KimaLucifer

Mm figured. I mean I remember seeing the "generic hentai Character" sign and that really bugged me.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Tuplica

The first time I saw anyone carrying a sign, I thought it was pretty amusing.  Though I ignored their plea for glomps.

The next year, I saw many signs.  I was mostly amused.

The year after that?  Attack of the Signs.  Revenge of the Signs. Signs Strike Back.  You get what I'm saying.  I wouldn't say it pissed me off, but it could be mildly aggravating, but mostly, it just wasn't amusing anymore.  When you've got twenty people all carrying signs for the exact same thing, what's the point?  It's not like I'm trying to say it became 'trendy' and thus bad... It's just... old.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

jinnai_animexcalibur

No signs? THANK GOD! I was getting annoyed by them!

Anime Vegas Con is planning to do the same thing. We may be more strict on it since this is a money hungry town.
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

Mordyan

I agree, I think the sign thing is getting out of hand. Its gotten to the point where its no longer amusing or even cute.

The breaking point for me was when people started using binder paper (lined) and ball point pens to make signs.  :? And all the people wearing street clothes (not cosplaying) begging for glomps, hugs, etc seemed a little pervy. It was like a big Fanime meat market. *heh*

Now some signs are cool, especially the ones that people take the time to make right. Like Bartboy's signs, they are part of his character and are cool and original as well!  8)

Banning all signs may be a bit harsh though. Maybe only allowing signs that are part of a cosplay would work. (like the wanted posters the one cosplayer had).

On the Cosplay forum thread, someone mentioned buttons or such, which I think is a cool idea. I mean you could make a t-shirt with a Sharpie or some fabric paint. At least then they gave it some thought.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

I could see why they did so. But still...kinda overkill. I think MisakiFan41 *COUGH* Bartboy *COUGH* would be depressed if it got banned @ fanime lol
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Random

They should just set up a Glomp orgy room in an out of the way location at the convention.  That should clear up a good number of sign holders. :wink:
  WOW!

YoureMyHiro

It would be 98% dudes. :?

jinnai_animexcalibur

watch...people will find other ways.....

you cant stop them from making their own "will yaoi for money" t-shirts.
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

~~Loktera~~

*Walks up carrying a soapbox, sets it down, steps up, clears his throat, etc etc etc....*

The way I see it... The sign thing is getting old, because there seems to be a lack of originality.

Bartboy had a great idea. That was genius. *Golf clap*

I admit, my sign was a almost a little cliche and blah. But it worked well with my under-appreciated theme. I also think I had the first sign at the con, seeing as how I started it in the Thursday Pre-Reg line when I was on a really bad Bawls/Red Bull/Coffee Caffiene high...

There were a few funny and good signs. Like the cloaked and hooded guys walking around with the signs looking for Cloud and a few other Squaresoft characters... (Wish I got a picture of that)

There were also a few that were a little unnecessary, like Lady KimaLucifer mentioned, the "Generic Hentai Character" That was a little... Umm... Uncalled for.

I can only see T-shirts being this new era... With last years ever popular, "Glomp Me" shirt, and its counterpoint "Glomp Me and Die."

Overall I think originality is key. Without that, it is a little stale... and rather sad. I can only hope that someone makes the next great sign. It probably won't be me... My new idea is a little... Umm... Different.

well That is my opinion. I will now cease the talking.
*Gets down from his soapbox*
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

flammable_kitty

I liked the sign with the lady dressed up in Ren-faire garb last year saying "prithee, what is this anime you speak of?" now THAT kinda signage is good :)

optimusprime

next big fad i can just see it now..... cosplay as a sign!!!!

FiliKlepto

Quote from: "~~Loktera~~"*Walks up carrying a soapbox, sets it down, steps up, clears his throat, etc etc etc....*

The way I see it... The sign thing is getting old, because there seems to be a lack of originality.

Bartboy had a great idea. That was genius. *Golf clap*

I admit, my sign was a almost a little cliche and blah. But it worked well with my under-appreciated theme. I also think I had the first sign at the con, seeing as how I started it in the Thursday Pre-Reg line when I was on a really bad Bawls/Red Bull/Coffee Caffiene high...

There were a few funny and good signs. Like the cloaked and hooded guys walking around with the signs looking for Cloud and a few other Squaresoft characters... (Wish I got a picture of that)

There were also a few that were a little unnecessary, like Lady KimaLucifer mentioned, the "Generic Hentai Character" That was a little... Umm... Uncalled for.

I can only see T-shirts being this new era... With last years ever popular, "Glomp Me" shirt, and its counterpoint "Glomp Me and Die."

Overall I think originality is key. Without that, it is a little stale... and rather sad. I can only hope that someone makes the next great sign. It probably won't be me... My new idea is a little... Umm... Different.

well That is my opinion. I will now cease the talking.
*Gets down from his soapbox*

Um, I glomped you last year... and then you ran away from me.  In fear, it seemed.
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "flammable_kitty"I liked the sign with the lady dressed up in Ren-faire garb last year saying "prithee, what is this anime you speak of?" now THAT kinda signage is good :)

Yes. That one was good.

Quote from: "FiliKlepto"Um, I glomped you last year... and then you ran away from me. In fear, it seemed.

Hmm... You know... There probably was a reason for me running away. Chances are, it might have been fear. Either that, or something shiny caught my eye. Shiny stuff distracts me...

But if you send me a pic, that might jog my memory and I can give you definite answer. My memory seems to rather ummm... fuzzy... Comes from chasing shiny things...
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Tama

Jumps up and down and points "NEKO!"

I agree. If the signs are original or part of a costume good.  But if the sign makes the costume "hentai girl" or are just another Will___ for___ Enough.  They are no longer funny they're ANNOYING.  Just like your costume take Pride in your work. :P
taaaa DAAAAA! I LIVE!!!!

Purity Alighieri

My. Seems I'm notorious...

Me and my friend started the first "Will _ for _" sign last year, at least by my knowledge. After that... damn, we saw fifty other signs pop up.  :shock:

And for the record, I did bring actual paper and many colored markers should we ever need the sign, (We actually used that sheet on the "Looking for Kaiba" one. [That was the only two we did!  :oops: ]) so it wasn't quite a half-assed thing.

But I'll hold back on the signs this year, eh?
"You are my pet. My animal. My bitch. And you will do whatever I wish." - Alucard to Anderson, Animalistic Amusement