A-kon Bans Signs

Started by ced1106, May 05, 2005, 12:00:28 PM

neko ewen

A friend of mine went to A-Kon last year, and from what he said, the sign situation was out of control beyond anything we have here. I swear though, anime conventions keep reminding me of pro-wrestling events, what with how people wave signs around and whole crowds will take up chanting things.

In other news:

(The only sign I made up was the one in the last panel... ^^;;; )
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

OniCourseMusha

I love signs.

Don't screw it up.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

YoureMyHiro

I couldnt believe your sign actually worked craig. Props.

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"I couldnt believe your sign actually worked craig. Props.
I couldn't believe mine did either... 8)

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^

Mordyan

Actually the signs where under control this year for the most part. Not as many as last year IMO.

Glitch

craige's(onicoursemusha) sign made him quite some cash.I'm very jealous of you. :p

My costume needed a sign to work.People who took my picture even said it(sign saying "generic tentacle victim") added to the cosplay.

QuoteActually the signs where under control this year for the most part. Not as many as last year IMO.
Indeed.not as many notepaper made signs used by people in regular clothes as there was last year.[/quote]

Mach5Motorsport

I didn't see that many signs at Fanime either.  Given all the thousands of people around the convention center.  Maybe there were a few over-zelous signs on hand, but this isn't a huge matter.  I really have to wonder about Akon and their sudden poilicy.  The wording in their official statement really makes me question the rowdy aspect of some fans that attend other cons that they felt forced to go this route.  I am thankful that Fanime hasn't seen such needed actions.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Tenba

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"I really have to wonder about Akon and their sudden policy.
Maybe they got a call from the IRS?  I didn't mind the signs at Fanime this year either, but I think they brought up a good point that exchange of money for various physical services is probably bad (I see their point that glomping for money might border on prostitution).  Maybe there should be a proactive recommendation that signs should not involve the exchange of money (unless they've paid a booth fee and are a sanctioned seller) or something just so that more drastic measures don't need to be taken in the future?  Just a thought.

HanyaanFaery

I personally would adore it if soliciting signs were banned. I have no prob with "RIDE THE BART" (as a matter of fact, Bart Boy's signs make the con a happier place!), but I just don't think it's really appropriate to have signs that say "Will Yaoi for Pocky" or the like. It's just too much like prostitution.

Mach5Motorsport

To call something "solicitation" would have to be significantly more than a hand drawn sign at an anime con.  To "glomp" cannot be seriously thought of as prostitution either.  The whole yaoi thing is just been beaten to the ground, with most of these people not really using the term correctly.  It's now just the hot catch-phrase.  :(

If these questionable sign makers are guilty of anything it is sophomoric thinking.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

OniCourseMusha

I think sign "What would u do for Pocky?" is awesome!

And my sign is called donation for me playing DDR.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Shinsengumi

Quote from: "OniCourseMusha"I think sign "What would u do for Pocky?" is awesome!

And my sign is called donation for me playing DDR.

Don't forget to pay me my taxes  :lol: , I'm joking, I can't believe that sign worked.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Leishu

Some signs were very, very funny. Some were just obnoxious.

Maybe we need a fanime good taste patrol...

On second thought, no. They'd never let me in. ^^;
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

lyricaldanichan

I asked this question on the fanime thread on somethingawfuldotcom:

I kinda wonder if anybody else seen these signs at f-anime? I took pictures but since it was from my cel phone it looked like shite.

sign 1: "I need a pity fuck!"
sign 2: "Naruto sucks and so do you."
sign 3: "Want your screen name or phone number, don't care if you are straight or gay."
sign 4: "We want your pennies!"
sign 5: "That hot chick you like... THAT'S A GUY!!"
sign 6: "Wearing a headband with a metal plate does not make you ninja!"
sign 7: "We learned early that ninjas with bright clothing DIED!!!"

I didn't want to ask what the story was with sign 1 and 3. At least Sign 1 got to the point (and failed?).

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

Saw sign #2 and #4 pretty often...never took a pic of #2 but the #4 sign...the user should see this post. ;)

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^

G.I.R

Regarding sign #2... Did that guy have a death wish or what?

EdOfNoName

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"

The one I saw with this read on the other side something like "DragonBall ended 10 years ago. Get over it!"

PogiChoie

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"I asked this question on the fanime thread on somethingawfuldotcom:

I kinda wonder if anybody else seen these signs at f-anime? I took pictures but since it was from my cel phone it looked like shite.

sign 3: "Want your screen name or phone number, don't care if you are straight or gay."

I didn't want to ask what the story was with sign 1 and 3. At least Sign 1 got to the point (and failed?).

Whoa, holy crap, those last three were mine, I think.  Made those up on on Sunday/Monday, and wrote them on my white board which I prepared expressly for signage purposes.  Thankfully, I strayed from the whole "Will ___ for ____" crap and went straight to spreading the TRUTH...   :D

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "EdOfNoName"
Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"

The one I saw with this read on the other side something like "DragonBall ended 10 years ago. Get over it!"
Oh! Him!
I've seen that guy couple times during Fanime. I agreed to him very.
Kraken Con Staff

Glitch

Quote from: "PogiChoie"
Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"I asked this question on the fanime thread on somethingawfuldotcom:

Whoa, holy crap, those last three were mine, I think.  Made those up on on Sunday/Monday, and wrote them on my white board which I prepared expressly for signage purposes.  Thankfully, I strayed from the whole "Will ___ for ____" crap and went straight to spreading the TRUTH...   :D
majors kudos to your signs.I like the metal head band one so much i handed a lollipop to you.