Manga Tetsujin at Fanime 2005?!

Yes!
4 (80%)
No!
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: May 17, 2005, 01:25:46 AM

CuteMew

I read about this event on the Katsucon website, and I think it would be awesome if we could start this at Fanime as well!  Basically, the premise of the event would be similar to Iron Chef, but instead of it being a cooking competition, it would be a drawing competition between various challenger manga artists and the Iron Artist(s) :D

ced1106

There's not much time before the con, but if you already know several artists, contact them and pitch the idea to [email protected] (I think that's the right email address).

Alternately, go to artists row and pitch the idea to the artists so you can do this next year! Get their contact information, and organize this for next year. At the least, you'll be helping out the Fanime artist community!

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

CuteMew

hmm now that I think about it, I'm not actually sure that this would be a panel... lol I posted it here after seeing the "Iron Chef" idea post :3

but I don't know any professional artists!!! I was hoping you guys would come up with some ideas :D  Or maybe volunteers?

ced1106

Quote from: "CuteMew"Or maybe volunteers?

Well, artist's row would be a good start. Are there listings of who'll be there?

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

PcBY

if you can get the people to do this, it'd be very cool. You can also have the participants in teams...because we all know manga/stories are hard XD

Absolute0

IRON ARTIST!!!! TODAY'S INGREDIENT: CRAYONS!!! YOU MUST CREATE A MASTERPIECE USING NOTHING BUT CRAYOLA CRAYONS!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! GO!

deepbluevibes

dealerJason

I am looking for Panels!  This sounds very cool and very interactive.  As long as Fanime and my department don't have to come up with materials, I would love it.

Let me know who is interested in doing this, rules for participation, and if how we can incorporate the winner on to stage zero.

Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

fullmetalneko

I second Jason's request.  This sounds hilarious.  Give me an email or a write up on the panels suggestion box and I will get it worked out.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Eri

You guys could get the Art Pool artists to participate... ;)
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "Eri"You guys could get the Art Pool artists to participate... ;)

Already thought of that.  =}  Getting them to not be as shy is the problem lol.  We shall see though.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

CuteMew

Hahahaha, oh wow!  I totally forgot about this ever since I posted the suggestion prior to Fanime '05.   A timed Iron Manga Artist event... XD~ whee!  Who wouldn't love watching something like that unfold?!

Anyway, I'd love to see this finally be realized for Fanime '07!   Is anyone still interested in setting this up?  :D  (Since I generally am busy doing Art Row, I wouldn't have time to set up an event.)  But it'd be so cool to see something like this go down on Stage Zero!  :D  

Hm... Ideally the event would take place during hours when the Art Row is closed so it doesn't dig into sales for Art Row artists that might otherwise love to participate... XD

I'm in the Fanime Artist Pool so I'd be happy to ask the other artists to participate, if needed (er, or maybe some of them will read it here anyway).

sunrise-oasis

I have at least 2 other people that is willing to wanna try the Iron chef manga competition ^ ^!...I would really go for it ^ ^!

AnimeEmperor

Instead of a secret ingredient you could use a secret setting or plot line, and see how each artist interprets it.

BunofGovt

I did not see the event at Katsucon and the description at the website was vague (at least where I searched  :-\).  Anyone who DID see the event at Katsucon or other convention, please add your comments, ideas, edits to this post.

So would the idea be similar to:

3 artists from art row and 3 volunteers (total 6) ready to draw a mini manga.  (When this is finalized, we need to figure out how to find these artists, perhaps through responses to the thread announcing it, and then random selection from the responses.)

The artists would be provided pencils, pens for final, erasers, paper, etc.
(what else do manga-ka use?).  (Same materials for everyone, to keep it more or less even - I'm only used to the copic outliner pens - we don't expect anyone to use color)

The artists are provided with a plot-line.  Instead of just a general idea, we may need to tell them something like: boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl again so they don't have to worry about the storyline but be able to concentrate on presenting it.

Time limit set - 1 hour?

We would expect to see a 'finished' product, that is, no rough sketches so they need to make sure they allow time to draw and outline, etc. We'll have a countdown every 15 minutes.  So far we need an emcee and a timekeeper.  Someone to pass out the materials (could be same as timekeeper).

Secret ingredient?  Each manga must have somewhere in it a picture of 'the secret ingredient' (might be something like: a cosplayer, a pineapple, etc) which has to be incorporated into the plot-line somehow and not just part of the background?

Judging:  Just how will this be judged and by whom?  Can we get one of the guests of honor to judge and perhaps someone from viz or or another manga panelist to judge?

This might be better set up in a separate room but could be started in front of an audience (to introduce the artists and event, rules, etc.).

Then, after the judging the manga could be posted (like a set up for an art auction) so others can look at them.

Or maybe have the manga posted for an hour or two, so Fanime attendees can look at them, and we could do a fan vote - anyone who comes in to look can vote for their favorite.  Then the judges could review at a later time.

The results would be posted and announced at closing ceremonies.

Judging, again:  need criteria.  Interpretation of the plot-line?  Incorporation of the secret ingredient?  Use of original characters vs including anime characters? (re that last one, would we prefer original characters only but allow 'cameo appearances'?).  Since drawing styles differ, art work itself should not be a factor.

Feel free to edit any/all of the above and add ideas for this because I would like to see this at Fanime next year if possible. 
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.