FanimeCon Events and Discussionmentarianism > General Convention Discussion

Who started Fanime? Why?

(1/4) > >>

winnie2463:
I'm trying this again because last time the only answer I got was a thread that had a timeline of Fanime's locations through the years, and then the thread was locked.  The timeline was helpful, but didn't give me the information I really needed.

Does anyone know who started Fanime?  Did it begin as part of an anime club?  That sort of thing.

Thanks again!

Otaku_PhreakBoi:
It began as a college gathering I believe. The rest I don't know.

frumpy:
Fanime started out about 12 years ago as a gathering of local anime clubs from colleges around the bay area. During our first year, we had an attendence of about 200. Since then, things just took off.  :wink:

Mach5Motorsport:

--- Quote from: "frumpy" ---Fanime started out about 12 years ago as a gathering of local anime clubs from colleges around the bay area. During our first year, we had an attendence of about 200. Since then, things just took off.  :wink:
--- End quote ---

Yes, the origins of Fanime are shrouded in mystery.  I hear that it involves a six pack of TAB cola, pocky, an old 20" Zenith color tv, a sony VCR, and a copy of Captain Harlock. :D

God bless, Mike, Matt, Tomoko, Bruce, James, and those others whose names have faded from my memory. :wink:

grove:
Didn't it start at Foothill's Anime Club or something? That was my impression.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version