Bad Things that Happened to You (at the con)-2006 ed. :D

Started by Jyunishinsho, May 31, 2005, 06:52:00 PM

CrackPr0n

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Jesus christ, grouch much?
-_- I could make you cry, but I'll attempt to be nice.

Listen pal, if people screaming out randomness for kicks, people with signs, or people otherwise randomly being happy or silly bothers you that much, you are in the wrong convention scene. Hell, I'd be willing to go so far as to say youre in the wrong fandom.
So let me get this right. You believe that fans of Japanese cartoons/comics, should be idiotic spazzes that run around like 6 year olds, have no sense of judgment, and run around trying to hug(and in many cases have sex with) as many strangers as possible in one weekend.

I've been watching Japanese cartoons, and reading Japanese comics since 1988. I've met, many many many people most people dream of meeting at these cons... in a personal setting.

Watching Japanese cartoons and reading comics... to me is about enjoying a media, not acting like a bunch of retards.

I can understand being upset about the arcade thing, but seriously. People come to Fanime to "let their hair down" so to speak. People are here to get away from "real life" and do things they wouldnt normally do, say things they wouldnt normally say, and act in ways they wouldnt normally act. Judging them based on their behavior at fanime is beyond misguided.
Really? Here... I thought it was a media convention. I thought it was a convention about meeting up with people who share your interest, to broaden views about a hobby, and what not. Maybe they should change the tagline of Fanime to "FanimeCon: Escape from reality and do shit you can't do in real life and expect no one to get offended" Or maybe that's too long. Let's shorten it to "FanimeCon: ACT LIKE AN IDIOT, WE WON'T CARE"...

QuoteIf your "real life" is so perfect you dont need this escape, fantastic for you. Why dont you stay there? But most of OURS arent. A huge portion of us got into the fandom because we're different. Didnt have a lot of friends in school for whatever reason, so we sat at home and watched anime and played videogames while everyone else was out partying or whatever. Fanime is a place for us to come together around a common interest.

Okay this just makes me... ... ... My real life, is no different than your real life except with how I choose to make decisions, and how I act in the world. We both live in the same world. I'm willing to bet, I spent more time playing games, and watching cartoons than the you did. I bet, I still do that(So much that I work at a game company, compete in tournaments and a number of other geeky shit). You can't use that as an excuse to blame your problems on. You were anti-social... because you didn't make the effort, but I HARDLY want to be your psychiatrist, I do that enough on the damned Megatokyo forum.

QuoteFanime is a place for friends to hang out and get along without assholes stuffing them into lockers or "beating the crap out of them" or telling them theyre "idiots" or "dumbshits" because they act a certain way.
Yes... that's exactly what it is, where in that does it say, you can leave social norms, act like uncivilized idiots, and pretend that acting like a 4 year old is completely acceptable. I'm willing to bet I'm a bigger nerd than you, yet; at the same time, I have decent social skills, conversational skills, and know how to act appropriately. You see, these people are idiots, and dumbshits, because they choose to be these things. It's not hard to be a respectable person, and do things appropriately(this coming from one of the most controversial person that most people meet). Hell I'm all for acting like a stupid fuck where appropriate. But when you're in public, in front of people that you do not know and you act out like a 3 yo, you're being an idiot.

Here's a clue, guests don't like when you act like a retard. Acting like a fan... good... acting like a retard, is not. These 3 girls at the meet the guest dinner of AX harassed the fuck out of Seki. And he was sorta... really annoyed at them. They single handedly ruined his entire day. A lot of the people in the industry like enthusiasm, and fandom, but they are still very into social norms(hell... Japanese thrive off of social norms). Pull this crap at a convention in Asia, and see how fast you get kicked out.

QuoteFanime is a place for people to smile. I suggest you learn to smile, or just dont bother coming next year, because I can just about promise that it's going to be more of the same.

Most of us wouldnt have it any other way.
I've been going to Cons since the 90's. It's funny, that me of all people you're saying this to.

FanFicGuru

Why the hate?

Anyways, I agree with a lot of what pr0n has to say. Being an anime fan doesn't justify or regulate behaving like a moron. In fact, that kind of mentality is what gives the rest of us a bad name.

It's good to respect other people's space. And other people's girlfriends. I totally understand pr0n's desire to kill some dude for randomly hugging his g/f (some guy did that to my g/f...she wasn't cosplaying or anything.)

Anyways, all of that stuff aside, there will be morons at the Con this year. People will get glomped who hate being glomped, there will be chaos and confusion...however, there will also be plenty of fun for all.

What we can hope for, however, is the overall increase of intelligence in the fandom as a whole.

Does that mean I'm expecting Fanime 07 to be composed of a bunch of mellow anime fans ages 18-35? Heck no.

But, I do hope the younger ones try their best not to embarass themselves, or the rest of us.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Dagger-6

I like pr0n, and agree with CrackPr0n's views, except for the reccomendation of truffles, which are overpriced and overrated.

Okay, I was writing more stuff here, but in retrospect I just ended up reiterating CrackPr0n and FanFicGuru's points about respecting personal space so I won't bother.

But I still stand by my truffle review.

Tetsunai

With all due respect, CrackPr0n does have a point but it could have been better said without so much profanity.

1) Pocky: I personally find Pocky a decent snack every so often (although I don't have chocolate often) and it is the most easily available export from Japan so its no wonder that people brag about it.

2) Hugging your girlfriend: I don't feel any animosity toward another when they hug my girlfriend because I put my full trust in her (not to say that you don't) and know that she won't betray my trust.

3) Gaming know-it-all: Yes, I agree that they can be annoying. However, haven't you ever rambled on in a speech when you talk about your passion and stated things you only think you know by accident?

4) Signs: Signs are often meant to be funny, and although they attract attention, do not think of them as attention-getters. Rather, just read the sign and think it interesting or move on and not give it a second thought.

5) Getting away from reality: I agree with SKN on this matter because anime, quite often, is not seen as "normal" in the eyes of many of my peers and I suffer as such. In fact, I could even go so far as to criticize the racism that I face on a weekly basis, solely on my ethnicity and ethnicity-based preferences. As for being sociable, yes, I believe I am. I have the respect of the majority of my classmates (not to be mistaken with those in my grade level) and have more friends than I can count. Conventions are good places to escape persecution and express what you like without fear.

6) Convention newbiness: Yes, sadly I am a newbie to conventions; I began my convention going with Fanime 2006. You may believe that I have little room to speak with such little experience, yet I believe that my opinion does carry with it, at least, some weight.

Thank you for reading my post and I hope to ease this conflict of flaming.

Back on topic: My group did not get to Fanime until Saturday night so I waited around at a table for most of Saturday : (

RyuHayabusa

I don't mind the the opinions being stated on this thread, but please, all i ask is for 2 things:

1)No swearing

2)No flaming.

If these 2 criteria can't be met, then I will lock this thread down and remain further locked until this year's con passes away.

Thank you.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

CrackPr0n

Trooper: Dependent on where you're getting them. Quality of good truffles vary, quite a bit, as well as price. I've gotten pretty good truffles for a small box of 10 for about 6$. I've also had a truffle that was 3$ that was worst than the boxed ones I had.

Quote from: "Tetsunai"With all due respect, CrackPr0n does have a point but it could have been better said without so much profanity.

1) Pocky: I personally find Pocky a decent snack every so often (although I don't have chocolate often) and it is the most easily available export from Japan so its no wonder that people brag about it.
When have you ever hread of someone bragging about... cadburry cream eggs. Or like, Licorice rope. Or a taffy bar. It's the fact that its "Japanese" that people even give a damn about it. If it were an American product, no one would give a damn at all.
2) Hugging your girlfriend: I don't feel any animosity toward another when they hug my girlfriend because I put my full trust in her (not to say that you don't) and know that she won't betray my trust.
I don't mind if people hug a girlfriend of mine, and I don't make a big deal out of it(this particular one made a bigger deal out of it than I did). But it's the fact that people have no tact. First off, she wasn't in a costume, and she was obviously my girlfriend since we were holding hands and she was leaning on me at the time. She also cosplayed as Tohru from Fruits Basket. Many guys asked her for a hug(after asking to take a picture, or asking if he could hug her in the picture), she always asked if it was okay with me. I always said "It's up to you, you're being hugged, not me".

That's totally different than some guy approaching her out of the blue and going "CAN I HUG YOU?" or just standing in front of her insistant with a sign that says "PLEASE HUG ME". These are unacceptable actions in terms of personal space. I don't care about most things, I don't care if people curse, or how they dress or anything, as long as it doesn't push into someone's personal space(at a respectable level). Things like this should not be tolerated, and frankly, none of these people would dare do these things any where outside of a convention, because people know that "they can get away with it".

3) Gaming know-it-all: Yes, I agree that they can be annoying. However, haven't you ever rambled on in a speech when you talk about your passion and stated things you only think you know by accident?
For the most part, I'm not that ignorant, and I don't do it out of frustration. I'm not going to make false claims to someone who is obviously more knowledgable or experienced in something than I am. When discussing something that is factual, it's just stupid to do so.

Quote4) Signs: Signs are often meant to be funny, and although they attract attention, do not think of them as attention-getters. Rather, just read the sign and think it interesting or move on and not give it a second thought.
you missed the point completely on this one. Signs are degenerate and stupid in terms of behavior. Think about the real world. Why do signs exist?? Why would you carry a sign? A sign is something you want others to read, therefore you make a sign to get the attention of people. Street signs are there to post information. Advertising signs are to display information to catch your attention.

Who carries signs like this otherwise? Homeless people who want something from people. In their case, it's money. In the case of conventions... it might be money, but usually it's just "attention" they want. I'm a firm believer of giving people what they deserve(not what they want). If some idiot is caring a sign around, then I will give them attention, but it will be very negative attention. But just so you guys know, signs can be very damaging. AX comes to mind, where a kid cosplaying as someone from Naruto had a signed saying "Ninja's killed my family, please help" with a cup next to him as he sat in the main hall. THat kid made more than 60$ an hour. First off, that's peddling, which is illegal already. Secondly, staff is allowing this to happen, so this means that the convention itself is taking responsibility for this peddling act. Although realistically, 60$ isn't that much money, it is, when it's one person in a situation like this. The convention CAN BE FINED for this, and it would not be a small fine. It would also look bad to the convention center, and any sponsors, hosts, or anyone else dealing with the convention.

Then there's the more extreme cases. Girls prostituting themselves. Sure, it's masked, but it's still prostitution. Some girls(and guys) had signs like "Sleep with me 10$" or "5$ for slave neko boy". This could get a convention into serious party.

Oh, but those are extreme cases, most people's signs aren't that bad... But it doesn't change that they're only their to attention whore, and solicit people. Anything involving money=solicitation. Anything offering a service or an action, is considered solicitation.

Quote5) Getting away from reality: I agree with SKN on this matter because anime, quite often, is not seen as "normal" in the eyes of many of my peers and I suffer as such. In fact, I could even go so far as to criticize the racism that I face on a weekly basis, solely on my ethnicity and ethnicity-based preferences. As for being sociable, yes, I believe I am. I have the respect of the majority of my classmates (not to be mistaken with those in my grade level) and have more friends than I can count. Conventions are good places to escape persecution and express what you like without fear.
Expressing what you like, doesn't mean acting like a child. As I said, I'm willing to bet I'm a bigger nerd than you are. I go upwards to about 6 conventions a year(not just JP cartoon/comic conventions). I go to about 3 national level fighting game tournaments a year, and local tournaments twice a month. I used to go to Scifi conventions, and US comic conventions, RenFaires, I've gone to E3 for the past 7 years and a number of other gaming shows, and for the most part, JP Comic/Cartoon conventions IN THE US are the only ones where people act this stupid. At no other convention to people run around and tackle each other to the floor and roll around like an idiot in the middle of a convention floor(They might do it for panels, or in special rooms, but never in general public areas). Never do random people run up to you and ask to hug you for no damned reason other than they think you are cute(unless you count S&M bars... which I have also been to).

So your "We do it to escape reality" is not a valid excuse to act like children. All it does is validate my wanting to punch someone for hugging me without my position, or propisitioning me in a terrible way.

Quote6) Convention newbiness: Yes, sadly I am a newbie to conventions; I began my convention going with Fanime 2006. You may believe that I have little room to speak with such little experience, yet I believe that my opinion does carry with it, at least, some weight.

Thank you for reading my post and I hope to ease this conflict of flaming.

Back on topic: My group did not get to Fanime until Saturday night so I waited around at a table for most of Saturday : (

I have a 100% serious question for you. Before you witnessed what happened at conventions, and before people told you things, what did you picture in your mind a convention to be? Did you imagine it that people are allowed to run around and hug people without asking questions? Did you fathom that people would run around screaming that they want pocky crawlking on the floor begging people to give them pocky? Did you think for a second that people would be running around with signs saying "PLEASE GLOMP ME!" or "CAN I GLOMP YOU?!?!?!"?

Tetsunai

Quote from: "CrackPr0n"I have a 100% serious question for you. Before you witnessed what happened at conventions, and before people told you things, what did you picture in your mind a convention to be? Did you imagine it that people are allowed to run around and hug people without asking questions? Did you fathom that people would run around screaming that they want pocky crawlking on the floor begging people to give them pocky? Did you think for a second that people would be running around with signs saying "PLEASE GLOMP ME!" or "CAN I GLOMP YOU?!?!?!"?

Truthfully, I didn't think much about the happenings of a con before I went but I thought its demography must be somewhat like my school: some calm, some hot-headed, and some estatic. I hadn't a clue to the scale at which this con would present itself (I also didn't know how the estatic would express their ecstacy). So I guess my answer to your question leans more toward "no" because I hadn't thought exactly how people would act, though I knew they'd do something.

On a second note, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate the demeanor with which you answered, as many of the people I know (nobody on these forums, though) would have answered with more hostility.

And lastly, this will be my last off-topic post for this thread. If you have anything you wish to discuss, I'll pm you in response. Once again, thank you for your time.

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "CrackPr0n"
Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Jesus christ, grouch much?
-_- I could make you cry, but I'll attempt to be nice.

Listen pal, if people screaming out randomness for kicks, people with signs, or people otherwise randomly being happy or silly bothers you that much, you are in the wrong convention scene. Hell, I'd be willing to go so far as to say youre in the wrong fandom.
So let me get this right. You believe that fans of Japanese cartoons/comics, should be idiotic spazzes that run around like 6 year olds, have no sense of judgment, and run around trying to hug(and in many cases have sex with) as many strangers as possible in one weekend.

I've been watching Japanese cartoons, and reading Japanese comics since 1988. I've met, many many many people most people dream of meeting at these cons... in a personal setting.

Watching Japanese cartoons and reading comics... to me is about enjoying a media, not acting like a bunch of retards.

I can understand being upset about the arcade thing, but seriously. People come to Fanime to "let their hair down" so to speak. People are here to get away from "real life" and do things they wouldnt normally do, say things they wouldnt normally say, and act in ways they wouldnt normally act. Judging them based on their behavior at fanime is beyond misguided.
Really? Here... I thought it was a media convention. I thought it was a convention about meeting up with people who share your interest, to broaden views about a hobby, and what not. Maybe they should change the tagline of Fanime to "FanimeCon: Escape from reality and do shit you can't do in real life and expect no one to get offended" Or maybe that's too long. Let's shorten it to "FanimeCon: ACT LIKE AN IDIOT, WE WON'T CARE"...  

First off, we are not a MEDIA convention and never call us that again.

Actually, we aren't here to enforce our few rules, we like to think of them more like guidelines.  Not everyone is like you and not everyone is go to behave the way you would like them to behave around you.  If we wanted a bunch of 'kids' to all act the same way, we would have throw a strictly military affair and gone by the book.

Define 'normal', because your version of word is not going to be mine, nor the next person to post either.  You really must have been uncomfortable with what was going on and some how you are expecting everyone else attending to comform to what makes you feel okay.  That is a little hard...

As for escaping from reality, that's what Las Vegas is for, but I highly doubt that Goth Girls are going to start doing pole dancing or swimming in oversize 6' tall wine glasses with Coke CR poured in.

QuoteIf your "real life" is so perfect you dont need this escape, fantastic for you. Why dont you stay there? But most of OURS arent. A huge portion of us got into the fandom because we're different. Didnt have a lot of friends in school for whatever reason, so we sat at home and watched anime and played videogames while everyone else was out partying or whatever. Fanime is a place for us to come together around a common interest.

QuoteOkay this just makes me... ... ... My real life, is no different than your real life except with how I choose to make decisions, and how I act in the world. We both live in the same world. I'm willing to bet, I spent more time playing games, and watching cartoons than the you did. I bet, I still do that(So much that I work at a game company, compete in tournaments and a number of other geeky shit). You can't use that as an excuse to blame your problems on. You were anti-social... because you didn't make the effort, but I HARDLY want to be your psychiatrist, I do that enough on the damned Megatokyo forum.

Okay, here you go again, your expectations of what everyone else should doing at the convention has been violated.  You are imposing your belief system on those attending.  The way one conforms at our normal interaction in life doesn't always have to happen in their form of entertainment or enjoyment.  If everyone conformed to your belief system, being that how you act in your normal life is how you should act during your off time would have cause Las Vegas to cease to exist a long time ago.

You're young and I'm a hell of a lot older than you.  A word to the wise.  You're out numbered and you really wouldn't like 10,000 screaming attendees to be tracking you down and shouting at you, just to get your goat.  Let go of it...

QuoteFanime is a place for friends to hang out and get along without assholes stuffing them into lockers or "beating the crap out of them" or telling them theyre "idiots" or "dumbshits" because they act a certain way.

QuoteYes... that's exactly what it is, where in that does it say, you can leave social norms, act like uncivilized idiots, and pretend that acting like a 4 year old is completely acceptable. I'm willing to bet I'm a bigger nerd than you, yet; at the same time, I have decent social skills, conversational skills, and know how to act appropriately. You see, these people are idiots, and dumbshits, because they choose to be these things. It's not hard to be a respectable person, and do things appropriately(this coming from one of the most controversial person that most people meet). Hell I'm all for acting like a stupid fuck where appropriate. But when you're in public, in front of people that you do not know and you act out like a 3 yo, you're being an idiot.

First warning... In the future find different four letter words or you will asked to leave the forum.  Period.

Next, I've been working FanimeCon for a number of years and you are pushing your point way out of shape.  Your mantra is showing and frankly I've never experienced what you have encountered and I walk the floor from early morning until almost midnight for all four days.  Are there kids gone wild, yeah, but that's what kids do and I've seen it all, including one guy getting duck taped to a pillar, a couple of times I catch attendees having sex under tables or in the dark places in the dance room, boys surfing on the sections between the escalators, a Ninja boy threatening a real police officer (and live to tell about it) and yes, I've even arrested several of our attendings for a number of dumb things, but to have what happen to you, it would seem to me like your a magnet to bad people.

On the other hand I see some of the best examples that humanity has to offer up.  People who go out of their way to help someone else and never ask for anything in return.  The attendees of FanimeCon have shown patience where their parents would have quit and walked away.  They have shown tolerance where others would have gone on a kill spree and never batted an eye.  Yes, I have seen them to do 'things' for the betterment for the whole instead of themselves without thinking twice about it.

Yet, you seem to find the worse that's out there... Why is that?

Here's a clue, guests don't like when you act like a retard. Acting like a fan... good... acting like a retard, is not. These 3 girls at the meet the guest dinner of AX harassed the fuck out of Seki. And he was sorta... really annoyed at them. They single handedly ruined his entire day. A lot of the people in the industry like enthusiasm, and fandom, but they are still very into social norms(hell... Japanese thrive off of social norms). Pull this crap at a convention in Asia, and see how fast you get kicked out.

QuoteFanime is a place for people to smile. I suggest you learn to smile, or just dont bother coming next year, because I can just about promise that it's going to be more of the same.

Most of us wouldnt have it any other way.
I've been going to Cons since the 90's. It's funny, that me of all people you're saying this to.

And I've been going to Cons since the 1973 and it takes all types to make a community...

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

otakuapprentice

after reading the last couple of posts, i'm not gonna stick my foot in this whole silly argument.

the only thing i'm gonna say about it is this:

if i was a mod, i would lock this thread until the end of may.

oh, and this as well:

those that have issues, take it off the boards. im saying this to those involved, and to the main person that began it. if you are going to bicker and fight, don't get others involved. either PM each other, or jsut dont even start this mess.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Gene

well i only really had 1 bad thing to happen to me and that was i forgot to bring my camera which made me really sad but that happens

Minagi-chan

Boy oh boy do I love the bitching thread.  Especially the stark contrast between experiences.  Gene, you made me smile with your sincere lightheartedness.
<3 Miss Coquine <3
We slip and slide as we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough.

CrackPr0n

QuoteFirst off, we are not a MEDIA convention and never call us that again.

Cartoons and comics= medium

The convention is about these two medias. Therefore it is a Media convention. Compared to a commercial convention, which is probably what you assume I said.

Actually, we aren't here to enforce our few rules, we like to think of them more like guidelines. Not everyone is like you and not everyone is go to behave the way you would like them to behave around you. If we wanted a bunch of 'kids' to all act the same way, we would have throw a strictly military affair and gone by the book.

Define 'normal', because your version of word is not going to be mine, nor the next person to post either. You really must have been uncomfortable with what was going on and some how you are expecting everyone else attending to comform to what makes you feel okay. That is a little hard...

As for escaping from reality, that's what Las Vegas is for, but I highly doubt that Goth Girls are going to start doing pole dancing or swimming in oversize 6' tall wine glasses with Coke CR poured in.
Uhm... if you're not here to enforce rules... then don't be suprised if I harass the hell out of people that annoy me then...

You act like "acting like civilized adults" means that everyone should conform to perfect soldier ants.

I could careless about conformity, I'm very against conformity. I care about very inappropriate behaviors. Basically... if what you're doing is something you wouldn't do in public... then why are you doing it at a convention? The settings aren't very much different... outside of appropriate attire. Social behaviors and norms should still be the same...

Even people in Vegas are more well behaved than in conventions. Sure, some girls are lifting their shirts and flashing people, but I don't see people rolling around on the floor and tackling people on the floor(because if you did that, you'd probably be arrested or kicked out of the casino/club you're in). You could walk around drunk out of your mind, but acting like children isn't acceptable.

QuoteOkay, here you go again, your expectations of what everyone else should doing at the convention has been violated. You are imposing your belief system on those attending. The way one conforms at our normal interaction in life doesn't always have to happen in their form of entertainment or enjoyment. If everyone conformed to your belief system, being that how you act in your normal life is how you should act during your off time would have cause Las Vegas to cease to exist a long time ago.

You're young and I'm a hell of a lot older than you. A word to the wise. You're out numbered and you really wouldn't like 10,000 screaming attendees to be tracking you down and shouting at you, just to get your goat. Let go of it...

It's more about what they should not be doing, than "what they should be doing". I'm not imposing my belief system at all, I'm saying people should act like adults, or teens, instead of 4 year olds. Your vegas comment is hillarious though. How do you compare drinking and alcohol, and letting loose the same as acting like a child screaming like idiots and running around tackling people to the floor. In Vegas, try going up to random girls with a sign that says "CAN I HAVE A HUG?" Try it... and record it please. I'd like a laugh.

I'm 23, I've been to Vegas many many many many many times. Being out numbered doesn't mean I'm wrong. And it's not me against 10,000. A lot of people agree with me. The numbers aren't that sleighted towards people that think acting like retards is okay.

Though, try me. You think I'd back down or be scared by a small crowd? I'm younger than you... so? What does that mean exactly. I've experienced a lot of this world. I've traveled around and done... quite a bit in this world. If you're gonna play the age card, that's fine with me, but if you think it's supposed to intimidate me, it doesn't. Many older people respect me for my knowledge and experiences even though I'm younger. So, I suggest you try a different attempt if you are trying to scare me in some way.

QuoteFirst warning... In the future find different four letter words or you will asked to leave the forum. Period.
I didn't use any words you can't hear on primetime TV on network television. Using authority like this is rather belittling to both of us since, it has jack shit to do with anything either way. Hell I can pick up a magazine or newspaper and see these words.

QuoteNext, I've been working FanimeCon for a number of years and you are pushing your point way out of shape. Your mantra is showing and frankly I've never experienced what you have encountered and I walk the floor from early morning until almost midnight for all four days. Are there kids gone wild, yeah, but that's what kids do and I've seen it all, including one guy getting duck taped to a pillar, a couple of times I catch attendees having sex under tables or in the dark places in the dance room, boys surfing on the sections between the escalators, a Ninja boy threatening a real police officer (and live to tell about it) and yes, I've even arrested several of our attendings for a number of dumb things, but to have what happen to you, it would seem to me like your a magnet to bad people.
Are you stating that... these things... are... okay for people to do at conventions? That's my point. These people shouldn't be allowed to do it. People jerking off in the hentai rooms, people acting like firehazards by rolling around in hallways, etc. etc. etc. Things like this go beyond breaking basic social appropriateness. The only reason they act like this though, is because they think "LOL I'M AT A CON, I CAN ACT LIKE A STUPID ASS AND NO ONE WILL TELL ME I CAN'T!" People that... don't get hotel rooms, so they sleep in the convention hall on the ground or at the courtesy tables... Oh oh oh, one Fanime was great. Two of my friends were walking around at around 2am just catching some air, one of my friends wants to go smoke. Upon walking down stairs we walked by a phone booth where two people were making out. Not just making out, but her legs around him, her sitting on the counter where the phones are, groping each other. So out of amusement we decided to do something. I walked up, picked up a pay phone right next to them, and started making a call. One of my friends started talking to them. They got pissed at him obviously. But he kept at it, talking to them. At this time, 3 staff members walked by, and guess what happened. They gave me and my friends shit... for harassing them.

They threatened to take away our badges and kick us out of the con. I laughed at them. At this point Justin(Head of press I believe he is), walked by and asked if there was a problem. He laughed at the young staff members who said they would kick me out of the convention, and he laughed at the two people making out. He then told them to get a room. At which point they said "Oh, we don't have one". He told them that they'd have to leave convention center grounds then because they cannot loiter there all night. He then apologized to me for the other staff memebers' actions and was on his way.

On the other hand I see some of the best examples that humanity has to offer up. People who go out of their way to help someone else and never ask for anything in return. The attendees of FanimeCon have shown patience where their parents would have quit and walked away. They have shown tolerance where others would have gone on a kill spree and never batted an eye. Yes, I have seen them to do 'things' for the betterment for the whole instead of themselves without thinking twice about it.

Yet, you seem to find the worse that's out there... Why is that?

And your point? Blind tolerence is stupid. Just like overaggression is stupid. Do you want me to turn this into a pissing game to show "how good of a person I am"? All I'm stating is, there's such thing as simple social graces that should be recognized in public, and people seem to think that because they are at a convention, they need not have any standards, any understanding of behavior, or any decency when they are completely out in the open.

I'm a very liberal and open person. Hint: I've ran many panels at fanime, and to say the least... they've been... controversal. Many of the staff at fanime know me personally, and they know I'm anything but a prude. But they also know that I'm not stupid and know how to act accordingly.

People should have a decent amount of maturity, and follow basic social graces in public. Just because they are in a convention should not mean they can act like 5 yr. olds.

PassingTheBuck

CrackPr0n, you had a bad time last year, especially after re-reading your posts and you want, nay, you have stated that those attending need to conform to what you beleive is the correct behavior for their age groups attending the convention.

I disagree...  Enough said on that subject.

The next time I see Jason, Head of Programming, which will be March 18th, at the Staff Meeting, I inquiry with him about the kids having sex by the pay telephone stalls and what he witnessed about our staff.

Of course I wouldn't have acted any difference than he did with the kids, except maybe to get a fire hose out and cool them down.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "Gene"well i only really had 1 bad thing to happen to me and that was i forgot to bring my camera which made me really sad but that happens

I feel your pain... My battery died on the first day... And my charger... At home on my dresser... ~_~
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

CrackPr0n

Quote from: "PassingTheBuck"CrackPr0n, you had a bad time last year, especially after re-reading your posts and you want, nay, you have stated that those attending need to conform to what you beleive is the correct behavior for their age groups attending the convention.

I disagree...  Enough said on that subject.

The next time I see Jason, Head of Programming, which will be March 18th, at the Staff Meeting, I inquiry with him about the kids having sex by the pay telephone stalls and what he witnessed about our staff.

Of course I wouldn't have acted any difference than he did with the kids, except maybe to get a fire hose out and cool them down.

Craige...

You really can't read, can you?

Who says these were all things last year? I even stated that most of these are general experiences that have happened at fanime. Also... I never said they were having sex. 3rdly, I SAID JUSTIN... not JASON.

and most importantly... I said nothing like conformity. I said that people should act in acceptable social ways. You give Vegas as an example? All the "bad stuff" isn't done out in public, or in very unopen areas "clubs and not out in the open" or very late at night. Vegas behavior on the streets completely changes post 11pm compared to in the morning.

Even then, the difference of actions are major. Actions in vegas are more "inappropriate" in terms of values than it is maturity and social basics. Even in Sin City, people have the decency to know things such as "appropriate time and place".

PassingTheBuck

QuoteYou really can't read, can you?

Who says these were all things last year? I even stated that most of these are general experiences that have happened at fanime. Also... I never said they were having sex. 3rdly, I SAID JUSTIN... not JASON.

My mistake...  I would have been more impressed if it was Jason..

As I've state before you are demanding conformity and I disagree...

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

CrackPr0n

Quote from: "PassingTheBuck"

Craige...

Jason would have said "Mikey... are you making trouble again?" and I woulda said "Yes... we're harassing kids that think it's okay to grope each other and makeout in public because they believe going way beyond the ideas of public displays of affection.

Then Jason would have said something like "You two can't be doing that here and he'd appreciate it if they went back to their hotel room if the planned on continuing"

blahblah not important.

I'm hardly demanding conformity, as I am very much against conformity. Hmm...

Sure, let's just say I am demanding conformity... not that it means shit... because what's important is the level of conformoity. I could say "People shouldn't be allowed to have sex in public". And you'd still say "NO CONFORMITY IS BAD!". Wouldn't you? Because that's basically what you're doing here. Honestly, I don't really give a shit what you think at this point anymore, because I decided to ask about you from a couple of people. "Don't waste your time, he's just a grumpy old man who thinks his age makes him more knowing and intelligent than people" was the general response I got.

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "CrackPr0n"
Quote from: "PassingTheBuck"

Craige...

Jason would have said "Mikey... are you making trouble again?" and I woulda said "Yes... we're harassing kids that think it's okay to grope each other and makeout in public because they believe going way beyond the ideas of public displays of affection.

Then Jason would have said something like "You two can't be doing that here and he'd appreciate it if they went back to their hotel room if the planned on continuing"

blahblah not important.

I'm hardly demanding conformity, as I am very much against conformity. Hmm...

Sure, let's just say I am demanding conformity... not that it means shit... because what's important is the level of conformoity. I could say "People shouldn't be allowed to have sex in public". And you'd still say "NO CONFORMITY IS BAD!". Wouldn't you? Because that's basically what you're doing here. Honestly, I don't really give a shit what you think at this point anymore, because I decided to ask about you from a couple of people. "Don't waste your time, he's just a grumpy old man who thinks his age makes him more knowing and intelligent than people" was the general response I got.

MOD:  I making a formal request that you close this thread.  CrackPr0n has stepped over the line by using profanity again and now has started on personal attacks.  

Thank you...  Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Zain

CrackPr0n has received a warning for his actions in this thread.

It seems unfair to everyone else for me to lock this thread due to one person, so I'll leave it open. Everyone, please try to keep your posts professional and flame-free.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

Jun-Watarase

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com