Did you bring enough?

Started by dealerJason, June 01, 2005, 02:21:17 PM

dealerJason

So, did you bring enough money to FanimeCon 2005?

If yes, what couldn't you find?

If no, what did you spend all your money on?

dealerjason
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

lying is an art form

Yes, I couldn't find the Naruto Data Book which sold out on the first day (I was going to buy it, but I thought they'd still have it the next day) nor a few manga titles and stuff. However, I was satisfied with everything I purchased.
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Nina Star 9

i btrought way too much. i was looking for more posters, more pins, more cell phone straps that were not full metal alchemist, more clothing (i almost bought a dress, but the smallest size they had did not fit. >.<)

serajwl

well, i would say i did. the prices were very good this year! the only things i couldnt buy which made me sad was an Akira action figure and a Domo Kun plushie. but altogether that alone would equal $120 @_@

i was also sad that i couldnt find very much kingdom hearts or Akira stuff

jess3zor

i braught more then enough, then again im not much of a consumer and ended up buying more for others then myself. but yeah i braught 200$ and only spent a little more then half on stuff in the dealers room.
Dont forget your fanny-pack.
My pouch can only hold so much.

jess3zor

Quote from: "serajwl"well, i would say i did. the prices were very good this year! the only things i couldnt buy which made me sad was an Akira action figure and a Domo Kun plushie. but altogether that alone would equal $120 @_@

i was also sad that i couldnt find very much kingdom hearts or Akira stuff

yeah i was dissipointed in the lack of kingdom hearts stuff  :(
Dont forget your fanny-pack.
My pouch can only hold so much.

dealerJason

Is there an online vendor we could invite that has video game merchandise?

Jason
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Vanessa

I bought 500.00 and came back with 240.00/ I think there wasn't enough vendor variety. I spent 110.00 on manga at the swap meet tho'.

dealerJason

I keep seeing this reference to variety, but what is this variety you speak of?  What do you want to see more of in the dealers room?  Please be SPECIFIC!

Jason
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

frumpy

I think I know what this "variety" thing is referring to....

It doesn't help when a majority of the dealers have an account with Diamond Distributions. With so little distributors, it's hard for a dealer to have variety when everyone orders the same merchandise for their storefront.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

serajwl

Quote from: "dealerJason"Is there an online vendor we could invite that has video game merchandise?

Jason

well, there's this place. http://www.tisinc99.com/index.html

BUt i think that dealers should also try to get just japanese culture stuff. like stuff that they sell on www.j-list.com . that would add some different things to the merchendise selection.

dealerJason

OH, we have tried for 3 YEARS to get J-List, they don't want to come.  This year, we thought we had them, but they backed out.  We will try again next year.

Frumpy, you are SO right, most everyone goes through Diamond Distribution, with a few, like Digital Disc, Anime 101, Anime Palace, going straight to Japan for their product.

What I would like to see is American stores being able to import directly from Japan.  The problem is that too many companies are sitting on their Merchandising rights.  Because these companies want to protect their investment, they make sure that imported product is expensive.  While I want Bandai, ADV, Funimation, and the rest to make money, I don't like that it limits what dealers can sell.
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Leishu

I missed the dealer who was selling seifuku two years ago. I needed one. ;_;
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

serajwl

Quote from: "dealerJason"OH, we have tried for 3 YEARS to get J-List, they don't want to come.  This year, we thought we had them, but they backed out.  We will try again next year.

I think i was aware of that.... but that is such crap. it's not like they're not in the CA area and it's not like they wouldnt make any money.

did they give any reaons? are they complaining about the cost of getting a table or two? because if that's the case, i'll have a fun raiser to pay for their table(s). what in the great Otaku's name will it take to get J-list to fanime?!

dealerJason

There you go,
Don't buy anything from J-List until they show up to FanimeCon!
Of course, I am just kidding. :lol:
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

frumpy

Quote from: "dealerJason"OH, we have tried for 3 YEARS to get J-List, they don't want to come.  This year, we thought we had them, but they backed out.  We will try again next year.

Frumpy, you are SO right, most everyone goes through Diamond Distribution, with a few, like Digital Disc, Anime 101, Anime Palace, going straight to Japan for their product.

What I would like to see is American stores being able to import directly from Japan.  The problem is that too many companies are sitting on their Merchandising rights.  Because these companies want to protect their investment, they make sure that imported product is expensive.  While I want Bandai, ADV, Funimation, and the rest to make money, I don't like that it limits what dealers can sell.

On top of that, another reason why dealers don't order straight from Japan is the high cost of shipping and handling fees. And people always wonder why imported stuff is so expensive..... :wink:
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

E-Chan

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it again:

While it's probably very tempting for dealers to jump on the bandwagon and carry things from the most popular animes (Bleach and Naruto for example) it's nice when we get to see things from other series.

Umm... hmm. Yeah, I was actually pretty surprised with the amount of stuff that was imported, I was half-expecting cheap american crap. I don't know why, I've gone for 3 years now.

Good luck getting J-List.
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

serajwl

i WILL get j-list to come... even if it killllsssss meeeee....

lying is an art form

Oh! I also wanted a Domo-Kun plushie and a Naruto "Akatsuki" dog tag but that would've blew off another like $40 from me which I didn't have >.<

I propose that we go to Japan with some huge hooks and cords and pull the islands of Japan closer to the United States, preferrably near San Jose xD

Then we could buy their country somehow and make a monopoly on it. Instead of Japan, we'll call it Fanipan (Fanime + Japan) and make it a year-round festival of animation. =P
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Jaz.tea

XD I think I definately brought enough. I'm glad I didn't went nuts over the money either... but buying a ZZ CD that includes two music videos i think, for 35 $ made a big dent to my wallet...
but yea, i brought enough. Got two gaia shirts for free, so that saved me money...

I think they should have more Death Note items, if anyone knows what that is. I'm utterly obsessed with the series... there was only one table that sold some... phone straps and stickers. And I wasn't about to buy three stickers for 8 dollars... so phone strap it was!
Oh yea, I'm also hoping there'll be more KH items other than those figurines. Perhaps posters or something! <3