Arcades 2005 Feedback/comments/complaints/etc

Started by Umi.Ryuuzaki, June 01, 2005, 04:03:33 PM

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: "HentaiTentacleDemon"
Quote from: "KitsuneOniko"It's dangerous to move those machines w/o consent and proper help if it is to me moved...
1) Those machines/booths can be quite heavy...dun want squashed fanboys n fangirls now O.o We would have less con-goers then and tha's not good ^^; That means less ppl coming to the con l n less possible future potential staff members XD
it's not like the con-goers are gonna lift the thing. they just rotate it. i'm pretty sure it never left the ground.

Quote from: "KitsuneOniko"2) Those machines were more or less ON LOAN from Sunnyvale n MGL...if anything were to happen to those booths...break and/or what not, those establishments would have us staffers heads  
3) Going also off #2: If something happened to those machines, MGL n Sunnyvale will most likely not loan us any booths for the arcade again for the con...that would suck for all you con goer's ne? You wouldn't have much to do during your off times...us staff members too! T^T *Oni panics "WHA?! NO MORE DANCEMANIA WHILE I AM ON BREAK?!!" dies*  
Forget Golfland! Contact this company: http://www.ocearcades.com/
They run the arcade for several college campuses & they managed the arcade for the Anime Expo in Anaheim. we (a bunch of SJSU students) have been able to run lots of successful tournaments thanks to this company! if you need to talk to a representative, i can hook you up!

Quote from: "KitsuneOniko"4)The reason a lot of these booths were placed the way they were is because of the wires in the back...they're placed against the wall so you guys won't trip n fall n get hurt! Nothing worse then some Yuna cosplayer walkin by and one of the machines is turned around...next thing ya know Yuna trips n takes a nose dive, her staff then hitting a Wolfwood cosplayer...then their huge cross prop hits maybe someone cosplaying as a baby Oohmu from Nausicca...which starts a huge rampage down the con center hall...yeah I'm sure you all get the point form here ^^;
hmm... would it be possible to just tape the wires to the ground?

Quote from: "KitsuneOniko"5)Too many mishaps and unruliness...then the convention center n hotels we rent the space from might cut us off because there will be too many liabilities...meaning no place to hold the con...if no place could be found to hold the con...then cancellation n what not n the con might cease to happen again T_T That would be quite sad wouldn't it? *knocks on wood* So let's not let things get outta hand alrite?
u guys can hold it at my house!!!! :D
~kidding~

Nice points and stuff...you should bring it up with the staff dept. tho that runs the arcades ^^; I would do something bout it myself but that's not the dept. I am in...You going to the Fanime meeting this weekend? (Nov. 13th) input and potential staff always welcome! :D
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

Ryuji

actually i read on another post...

The DDR was damaged from people moving it...the floor was also damaged...Golfland was not happy...The staff are not the ones responsible for moving it...you are suppose to report to them, then they tell Golfland so they could properly move it...

Then i suggested here that maybe we get Canopy Tents and place them above the games to block the sun...
Video Games: Not an Addiction, but a Lifestyle!!!
"Ex-Rover from Con"

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: "Ryuji"actually i read on another post...

The DDR was damaged from people moving it...the floor was also damaged...Golfland was not happy...The staff are not the ones responsible for moving it...you are suppose to report to them, then they tell Golfland so they could properly move it...

Then i suggested here that maybe we get Canopy Tents and place them above the games to block the sun...

*sighs* and I warned the ppl about that happening if they moved it w/o help and/or consent...*shakes head a lil* I'm staff but not the arcade staff...

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: "KitsuneOniko"Nice points and stuff...you should bring it up with the staff dept. tho that runs the arcades ^^; I would do something bout it myself but that's not the dept. I am in...You going to the Fanime meeting this weekend? (Nov. 13th) input and potential staff always welcome! :D
13th? wait a min... that's today. crap!!! i missed it!
i work on Fri & Sat, so i didn't see ur post on time. :(

Quote from: "Ryuji"actually i read on another post...

really? CRAP! well, it was still unfair to blame the tourney people, because any non-tourney DDR player could have took it on his own to move it was well. and wasn't there a note warning that the tournament would be cancelled if the machine was moved? if so, then that would have enough to scare the tourney crowd. i think only a non-tourney person would dare move the machine, because he doesn't have anything to lose.

Quote from: "Ryuji"Then i suggested here that maybe we get Canopy Tents and place them above the games to block the sun...
if the tents idea isn't do-able, then u can also try a different location, like a room with no windows on the ceiling.

Khaistyle

That is what must be done. Arcades need to be put in a better location, like they were in 2k3 or 2k4.

I was one of the two organizers for the DDR tournament, and that was one of the issues. I was about to call the qualifiers when the machine was turned off. For people moving it without consent (golfland came up and talked to me personally.) Totally weak. Well, I'm not in charge for this one (1 because I want to compete :twisted: and 2 because I'm already running an ITG2 tournament on my b-day) but I will let you know it is in good hands, and we're planning this thing months in advance. Not 2 weeks prior to the con with little information given from con ops.
I DONT PLAY BEMANI ANYMORE, BITCHES!!

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Khaistyle"I will let you know it is in good hands, and we're planning this thing months in advance. Not 2 weeks prior to the con with little information given from con ops.

And that'd be my doing, with assistance from the lovely Milty-san.

We have approximately six more months to finalize and report everything to Con-Ops/Arcade Staff/Golfland -- that's six times as much time to get everything set into place. I'd even like to think that this gig's almost guaranteed, but as we all know, there are a lot of things that can ruin the show.

I'll be updating the DDR thread as time goes by with more tournament info.
epic progressive

vox

Umi.Ryuuzaki

I know this is really far fetched, but consideirng what did happen last year...

Is there any plans to put all the arcades into a room like in previous years before 2004/2005, or they're in the main convention areas?
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Kazuko

=( well my friend has a complaint that in the game room when we were going to own one another in a healthy combat of soul calibur we were told to leave because of a silly naruto game tournament that took up what only 4 tv's. it wasent nice i dont know why but yeah =\

other than that the game room i was in was pretty spiffy though i recommend a para para paridise machine.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: "Kazuko"=( well my friend has a complaint that in the game room when we were going to own one another in a healthy combat of soul calibur we were told to leave because of a silly naruto game tournament that took up what only 4 tv's. it wasent nice i dont know why but yeah =\

other than that the game room i was in was pretty spiffy though i recommend a para para paridise machine.

Well, at the time at that tournament, I was on my break and I assumed my staff handled the set up accordingly. Next year for e-gaming, we're gonna try something different on how we do the tournaments...
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Kazuko

Quote from: "Umi.Ryuuzaki"
Quote from: "Kazuko"=( well my friend has a complaint that in the game room when we were going to own one another in a healthy combat of soul calibur we were told to leave because of a silly naruto game tournament that took up what only 4 tv's. it wasent nice i dont know why but yeah =\

Well, at the time at that tournament, I was on my break and I assumed my staff handled the set up accordingly. Next year for e-gaming, we're gonna try something different on how we do the tournaments...
Yay ^_^ <3

Umi.Ryuuzaki

=P no problem to the eariler post.

As a FYI and a big one, E-Gaming is NOT part of arcades, unless something changed over the last month or so. Not coming off angry, but I would like people to realize we're not the same department.

I have not heard anything about a Arcades dept at all at this time, but, I do know the senior heads (or someone from programming at least) are watching this thread. Keep the thread going and we'll see what happens.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Khaistyle

I don't know if anyone posted this yet but:

GOD DO WE NEED PUMP IT UP!

Golfland has a good, working Exceed machine and I think it would be a hit at fanime. There are more people in the world that play pump that ddr (internationally speaking) and it would definitely cut down on wait times to play everything (THREE dance games! ZOMG!) The odds of Fanime getting a IIDX or Pop'n machine is like a billion to one, but it is very likely they could bring this in because it doesn't make as much money at MGL as other games. (That's because nobody wants to drive all the way to MGL to play it)

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: "Khaistyle"I don't know if anyone posted this yet but:

Golfland has a good, working Exceed machine and I think it would be a hit at fanime. There are more people in the world that play pump that ddr (internationally speaking) and it would definitely cut down on wait times to play everything (THREE dance games! ZOMG!) The odds of Fanime getting a IIDX or Pop'n machine is like a billion to one, but it is very likely they could bring this in because it doesn't make as much money at MGL as other games. (That's because nobody wants to drive all the way to MGL to play it)

I agree with you on that too XD I wanna freestyle again Pump It Up! :D

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Khaistyle"I don't know if anyone posted this yet but:

Especially with PIU Zero...<3
epic progressive

vox

Khaistyle

I will try and talk to Paul about what could possibly be arranged for getting PIU this year.

PassingTheBuck

I thought I would drop a line and let those on this thread hear from someone who is familiar with the history and the the future is going to be.

We use Golfland, because they can supply use with machines, maybe not always the best machines, but check the web on arcarde machine rents and you will find that most companies want several thousand dollars to rent one for one day.  They are catering to large corporations that can afford it, we can't, therefore we cut a deal with Golfland to supply them to us for a cut of the revenue.

I've made the deals, therefore I will be doing it again this year.

For the past, yes, the machines were placed with the knowledge that at certain times of the day the light would affect it.  However, since no one owns them, but Golfland, I was seriously bent out of shape to have found several individuals moving the machines, because they couldn't play at that moment.  Reminds me of drug users, can't get their fix, they will do whatever is necessary to get it.  In this case they damaged the platform the DDR player dances on, the cables connecting the two units and me.  Golfland wasn't exactly happy about it, I was ready to rip someone's head off and ...  (never mind)...

The latter was the more serious problem, because I wanted to eject the two people catch doing it.  Cooler heads previeled.  Clearly the idea of property ownership didn't enter their minds, only getting their 'crack' fix was more important.

As for the future, we are moving all the arcade machines in to Exhibit Hall #3, along with the guys from E-Gaming.  There are several good reasons for this, one being that there is no way for the sun to get in the way.  Second is that we can play the machine in a three sides box, allowing an open area for chairs and tables for others to watch.  Three, we can control the area better, keeping those who don't have a badge from using them.  Four, there will be a stand bar open, with water and sodas, for your usage.  Fifth, between arcade and E-Gaming, you guys can make as much noise as you would like and it wouldn't matter.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "PassingTheBuck"*snip*

As for the future, we are moving all the arcade machines in to Exhibit Hall #3, along with the guys from E-Gaming.  There are several good reasons for this, one being that there is no way for the sun to get in the way.  Second is that we can play the machine in a three sides box, allowing an open area for chairs and tables for others to watch.  Three, we can control the area better, keeping those who don't have a badge from using them.  Four, there will be a stand bar open, with water and sodas, for your usage.  Fifth, between arcade and E-Gaming, you guys can make as much noise as you would like and it wouldn't matter.

Craige...

Did I ever mention I love you, Craige? <3

All figures of speech outside, when I found out how badly the glare was on the Extreme machine, I just went to the 4thPLUS cab and the ITG stand over at RedOctane's booth. There literally was no excuse for moving the machine, because there was more than one way to obtain the 'crack'. So what if you're short some songs? 4th still has plenty -- and plenty that Extreme doesn't have, either!

To be honest, I was indeed glad that I was able to play on the Extreme after it had moved, being the clueless dude that I was, but once you think about it...
epic progressive

vox

HentaiTentacleDemon

wow, it's nice to know that the arcade crowd isn't getting ignored. thanX a bunch! everything should work out. i'm really looking forward to Fanime now.

btw, i believe that OnCampus Entertainment can provide you with the same deal. http://www.ocearcades.com/ServicesSetup.asp
has any of you guys ever bothered to at least talk to this company. i don't work for them or anything. the reason that i keep pushing for this company is because they have been very co-operative with SJSU students, helping us run arcade tournaments every semester.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Heh, Arcades and E-Gaming in one room. A first definately.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "HentaiTentacleDemon"wow, it's nice to know that the arcade crowd isn't getting ignored. thanX a bunch! everything should work out. i'm really looking forward to Fanime now.

btw, i believe that OnCampus Entertainment can provide you with the same deal. http://www.ocearcades.com/ServicesSetup.asp
has any of you guys ever bothered to at least talk to this company. i don't work for them or anything. the reason that i keep pushing for this company is because they have been very co-operative with SJSU students, helping us run arcade tournaments every semester.

This is the first I have heard of them.  I will make an inquiry with them.

Thanks for the lead, I appreciate it.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016