Arcades 2005 Feedback/comments/complaints/etc

Started by Umi.Ryuuzaki, June 01, 2005, 04:03:33 PM

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Even though it is not part of E-gaming, I'll help out and throw in a thread for arcades 2005 feedback. This should help with some planning of next year.

Go to this thread that is the main FanimeCon 2k5 feedback thread and post there. However, if you want your input about just arcades, either thread is fine, unless i'm horribly wrong and need to be smacked =P
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

YoureMyHiro

I thought the arcade was well stocked with the typical faves except for a few things:
1. The DDR Extreme machine was placed directly askew from the sky lights and there was mad glare. I informed con ops and they never did anything about it. We move the machine around a couple degrees and con ops turned it off! It was on later, but man.

2. SCII was all the way in the hilton arcade area, as a fighting game I think it should have been with the others on the marriott side. I was playing all alone.

3. The DMV machine was a trick! Hehe, I heard about the version malfunction and I understand why it was changed to an early version.

Aside from that, I was impressed with the skilled players all around and got some good gaming in. I got rocked by Ohsu in T5 though and our SCII game, I demand a rematch. A lesson to you all, dont bet on a money match that takes place at 3am.

Logik

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"I thought the arcade was well stocked with the typical faves except for a few things:
1. The DDR Extreme machine was placed directly askew from the sky lights and there was mad glare. I informed con ops and they never did anything about it. We move the machine around a couple degrees and con ops turned it off! It was on later, but man.

2. SCII was all the way in the hilton arcade area, as a fighting game I think it should have been with the others on the marriott side. I was playing all alone.

3. The DMV machine was a trick! Hehe, I heard about the version malfunction and I understand why it was changed to an early version.

Aside from that, I was impressed with the skilled players all around and got some good gaming in. I got rocked by Ohsu in T5 though and our SCII game, I demand a rematch. A lesson to you all, dont bet on a money match that takes place at 3am.
1.Yeah, I noticed that at time there was major glare on the DDR machine. That sucks that Con Ops turned it off when it was moved even after you asked them to do it and they didn't do a thing.

2.I agree. It might have gotten more attention that way.

3.Um, dunno what the DMV machine was. :P

The arcade gaming was pretty good. It had games to suit just about everyone's tastes.

I don't think it would have made a difference whether it was 3am or 3pm. Jeff's a beast. He was pissing everyone off using only Nightmare's 3B. I would have loved to played a couple of matches with you though (not necissarily for money).
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

the_Pink_Panther24

I dont have too much to complain about because the gaming this year was topnotch, I would just prefer it though next year if certain tournaments *cough*ggxx*cough* didn't get cancelled.

but its okay, i much rather perferred getting pwned by people for free instead of having to pay a 5 dollar entry fee.  :lol:

Logik

Actually, almost every arcade tournament was cancelled because the Golfland guy never showed up to put the machine on free play and stuff. Just putting this out there to let people know that Fanime staff is not to blame.
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

Thoth

I loved the selection this year... would like to see Para Para Paradise next year, as I love that game.

I did manage to play in the one tournament that didn't get cancelled, KoF 2003... having played in that, I understand why all the other tourneys did get cancelled.

Hoping that doesn't happen again next year.
Feeds.  Welcome to the Fanime boards.  Are you ready to pull the rawhide?  Just stay away from my mouse footpath.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Concerning Arcades tournament - that somehow fell into E-Gaming's hands - that means it went to ME. I was dead pissed when I found out what happened and I had to make a decision that was going to suck hardcore, but had to be done. Without releasing too many details, I order them cancelled, because the person (i'm not naming names) who organized it did a number things that were not authorized by the higher up's + me (in some ways).

For next year, I have this feeling a real arcade division will be forum to design these tournaments. I dunno...yet.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Thoth

It seemed like, from what I could tell, there were some really retarded and nerdy power struggles going on.  I couldn't tell why.

The KoF 2003 tourney was lame in that we had to put our own money in to play.  After that; I can see why the others were cancelled.
Feeds.  Welcome to the Fanime boards.  Are you ready to pull the rawhide?  Just stay away from my mouse footpath.

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: "Logik"I don't think it would have made a difference whether it was 3am or 3pm. Jeff's a beast. He was pissing everyone off using only Nightmare's 3B. I would have loved to played a couple of matches with you though (not necissarily for money).
I could have went toe to toe with him, its just I was so tired at that time I could barely see straight, I was living off of pure ego from smashing others in the e-gaming room. Oh yeah, I had it in mind to find you Logik and get a good couple of games in for fun, the way I should have left it. 8)

Lex

No para para machine  :(  

Yeh and that SC2 machine would have gotten way more attention on the other side. But I guess ppl would rather play for free anyway in the console room. Damn those chunky X-box controllers

Logik

Quote from: "Lex"Yeh and that SC2 machine would have gotten way more attention on the other side. But I guess ppl would rather play for free anyway in the console room. Damn those chunky X-box controllers
Yeah, I didn't like playing SC2 on the XBox either. I kept messing up my 8WR moves, most notably Talim's 33_99A. They usually came out as 88_22A instead. :(

Quote from: "YourMyHiro"I could have went toe to toe with him, its just I was so tired at that time I could barely see straight, I was living off of pure ego from smashing others in the e-gaming room. Oh yeah, I had it in mind to find you Logik and get a good couple of games in for fun, the way I should have left it.
I didn't recognize some of the forum goers so I actually might have played against you without even knowing it. I was a shorter Kenshin with the dark red/black wig on. We could always get in some games at a Fanime gathering. :wink:

Shin Gouki

now let me all ask you something if we had sticks xbox would you like then??  *trying to get sticks for all*

Tuplica

As much as I risk getting maimed next time around or something, I have one general complaint for the gaming.

Yes, DDR Extreme = glare.  That was a bummer, but what I found more offensive was the conops reaction to the machine being moved.  I know it wasn't supposed to be moved, and I recognize the fact that they needed to move it back, but at one point or another my friend and I were waiting for our turn on Extreme when conops arrived and practically assaulted us all verbally.  We got the ugliest glares and the snidest comments about how the machine wasn't supposed to be moved, and if it was again, it'd be shut off permanently, etc etc etc.  Those of us there, I'm sure, were well aware of that, seens to how there were signs up about it- but at the very least, my group was not responsible for it, and it felt like we were being attacked for something we had no part in.  Thinking back, if the majority of my group hadn't wanted to play so badly, we would've removed our tokens and left.  I found it highly offensive.

*cough* With that out of the way: Everything else was great, gamewise.  I thought the setup was quite well done and the expansion over into the Hilton area was also great and helped spread out the crowd a bit.  Good job. :)
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

uBerLyNuMB

When i was a kid, i used to pray for a new bike every night. but then i realized God doesnt work that way. so i stole a bike and asked God to forgive me.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: "uBerLyNuMB"How bout.. A pool table! :DD

Huh O.o
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Spiritsnare

Cosplay billiards would make for some funny moments, but I'd worry more about the balls being stolen or somethin' o.O;
epic progressive

vox

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Cosplay billiards would make for some funny moments, but I'd worry more about the balls being stolen or somethin' o.O;

Do what most billiard places do - to get a set of pool balls, you gotta leave your ID for the time you play. Once you're done, return the balls and you get your ID back. Other places do it different..but yeah.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Nina Star 9

billards woudl be fun! how about other games that are not just arcade or console games, like pinball? i know they are a pain to move, but still! also, a parapara paradise game would be great. ^^

xMkLx

2 words. Counter Strike. or halo lan party woot.
Rawr

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "xMkLx"2 words. Counter Strike. or halo lan party woot.

Topic: Arcades 2005 Feedback/comments/complaints/etc

I never knew Counter-Strike and Halo had arcade ports, too! When was this? :D :D :D

Gomen ne. It had to be done.
epic progressive

vox