Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Leishu

Why don't we wait and see, okay?

I may literally be able to foot the bill for making a board. Gimme some time to figure my finances.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Spiritsnare

I'd love to be a piece >D Count me in, tentative cosplay Roy Mustang.

I'll be a rook on either side.
epic progressive

vox

doorbell

doorbell

Quote from: "serajwl"fo shizzle, yo. That would be cool. I might have a little get-together with a bunch of people later this month... so maybe you can come then.
play with me sara, we can poratice on my board! no one plays with me anymore!

Wirebrain

Quote from: "E-Chan"YAY! alright, so I'm high mistress until Kris returns...

Hmmm... what to do... what to do?

~_^

Naah, alright, so, I suppose the question is, where do we want to do all the planning for this?

Anyone with questions/comments as far as this is concerned, feel free to contact me via AIM, PM, or MSN. I'll respond to any of them, but be prepared to tell me who you are.

So, Tabletop gaming'd be willing to host it? Awesome. ^__^ I'm thinking... I'll be making more complete lists and such later. Any more suggestions from people?

Battle Chess: Yes, some more pondering

Well, I think that not everyone's  going to be able to get weapons that are costume-appropriate, and still useable. For example, Meg from Burst Angel (who I'm cosplaying) always has a very large gun. That's hardly appropriate for a game of chess, so I'll be finding something different just for the game.

I'll probably also bring a few spare pieces, for the spur-of-the-moment players.

Prizes:
We keep talking of a tournament, and every good tournament has prizes. I need someone to take charge of figuring out what we're going to do as far as prizes are concerned... Food, Anime Stuff, Random Strange Stuff... suggestions, anyone? (Plausible, and either cheap, or with an explanation about where to get the money for it)

We've pretty much decided. Objections, or alternate suggestions?

Well, Santana Row, while a safe and secure place, hasn't heard of this idea yet. Lets not count our chickens before they hatch. I'll visit them soon and see where to go from there.

Also I wouldn't worry about theme of the weapons displayed being appropriate for chess- have them more appropriate for the character much like the many themed battle chess software titles like star wars chess. (The only thing we should be concerned about is having the character appropriate for the role they're in- Since Meg uses what seems to be a snub nosed .38 in many episodes, you can wheel out a snubnosed .38 as you'll just do still battle poses in "combat") and seeing how it's not on convention center or hotel property and strictly on Santana Row property (if they give the thumbs up) the weapon policy may or may not be different for better or worse. Regardless- and we should make this ABSOLUTELY clear from the get-go: No matter how fake or real the weapon looks, never to draw or brandish a weapon at a spectator, use caution/courtesy and all weapons should be looked over before the game begins to assure safety.

All pieces and players could recieve some sort of participation prize, awards for best performance (as I'm sure many will be playing in character- be friendly though: I'm looking at you, genocidal maniac cosplayer.) and best costume and the winning side gets some sort of bonus.

How does that sound?

Spiritsnare... Roy Mustang as a Rook... I can see that. Nice :)

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "doorbell"mark me as a pon!

Gotta give me a character, too, eager-participant.

...I almost typed participator instead of participant. Where is my brain tonight??
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

E-Chan

Well, if all else fails, we go with duct-taping squares onto the ground... in some room with lotsa space. ^__^

Or, well, someone can go ahead and make squares in black and white... 64 of them, that we can just lay down next to each other.
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

Chibblz

ooooh! this looks fun! i'd totally wanna play! i'm gonna be a High Wizard from RaganrokOnline! I'm not sure which would be nice.... mark me as a knight or something... I don't know... what do you think a wizard should be? XD

Wirebrain

I'd say bishop. Knights should be the defending or assualt guys we see in alot of anime- Fighter or Kakashi would be fine examples of Knight. Bishops should be the religious/magic guys...

Deep-Six

If not taken already id like to be a rook(think thats how you spell it) heh :)

E-Chan

Deep-Six, we need to know what you'll be cosplaying before we can put you down as a piece.

The spots that are taken/available are in the first post.  (But yeah, I believe at least one Rook is still open)

Leishu

I have, more or less, the ability to make squares. It will take lots of paper ^_^

Chibblz

Quote from: "Inu_Ranma"I have, more or less, the ability to make squares. It will take lots of paper ^_^

Phwee! I wanna help! Can I make little ^_^ on the white and O.o on the black?? XDD

E-Chan

Inu_Ranma: I'm putting you in charge of the board then. Use thy employee-discount well!

KindaRandomKris

Awesome possum! Relatives have DSL!
Of course, I came here to 'spend quality time with the rest of the family', so I won't be on all day, like I would be back in good old California.

But I'm not totally cut off from the rest of the world!

Also, I'm taking down the list from the first post - don't sign up or lose interest just yet. Just wait a little bit, yeah? EDIT: I saved the list on my desktop, so all the people who have already signed up will still have your spots. When sign-up comes back up, you will have first priority.

Yup.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

dosukinuta4

Are we makin it or just goin to Santana Row?
Open mouth  X(), insert bacon ~~~, yum X)

Wirebrain

At this time, it may be best to hold off on any construction. This doesn't mean that the Cosplay Chess is canceled in the least, it's simply to avoid confusion and having more than one board constructed as the head of Programming has taken a shine to this idea (very good news really)

More updates when I can give them.

Spiritsnare

If Santana Row is the place of the actual tourney and not the cosplay variant, then it's all right with me. (has no ride to/from Santana)
epic progressive

vox

Leishu

The squares at Santana Row are TINY.

That being said, I'm not going to construct squares until I have to. I can finish them given a week's notice so I'm in no rush at all.

Also, getting this as a recognized Fanime event would be awesome.

Spiritsnare

Yeah, we could have the winning team come up at Closing Ceremonies. Or something. XD
epic progressive

vox