Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Zagato"I'll ask this early, but does everyone know chess notation?
A-g, 1-8 (I think, not remembering well)
or will there be a teaching session beforehand? (this is for the cosplay chess, not the tabletop one)

I was actually thinking of labelling each square with the corresponding notation. There are a lot of people who don't know the notation (myself included...), and even a pre-game tutorial session wouldn't be enough to really impress the information on the players.

Jyunishinsho: Yeah, this is for next year's Fanime. My motto is "The earlier, the better". =]

Glitch: You're awesome. =D
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Leishu

I think that's A-H ^^'
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Deep-Six

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"Sure, if i can go. U still live 2 hours away from me. Thats a long drive. I would need proper persuasion for that. And starting this friday and continuing for 10 days, ill be in Hawaii. Yay! :D
I wanna go to Hawaii, YAY!! :D
Lots of time to sit in the hotel, and surf, and snorkel, and think about how to improve on our ideas of awsomeness for chess and for my costume.
And now im just rambling on, dont mind me. I do this a lot.

you going to hawaii brett well have a nice time man in a week I leave for mexico sun sand and scuba divein :wink: also I am all for the chess game I would definetly join in the fun heh

Glitch

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"Glitch: You're awesome. =D
I'll take that as a yes,or really cruel sarcasm. :p

E-Chan

I think I was around for the initial mention of this in one of the insane AIM chats... but..

I live too far away to be much assistance in any pre-con tournaments or anything... but I'm willing to help out at the con.

*jumps around and waves*

I'd love to be a piece (White Queen, perhaps?), or someone who helps to run it. I'm terrible at actually playing the game, though I know the rules, I just... don't have the strategy... however, I wouldn't object to being moved around.

I'll be cosplaying next year: Meg from Burst Angel, and possibly a few others.

My AIM is Aelia314

Oh, and one other thing, assuming we get this cleared, I'd be willing to make the props and such that we could give to/put on the players so that you can tell which team, and what piece they are... I'm not really sure who's 'in charge' at this point... but yeah. ^__^
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

the_Pink_Panther24

ill be a white bishop, if its not already taken up. ^^
It's cool, ill be wearing my yura cosplay from psycho le cemu so ill look very "pope-ish"

E-Chan

*was going to keep editing her post with every new idea, but decided to add a new post so things were easier*

I already said stuff right up there. *points UP*

But, alright,

Comments:
- We can't really do Yaoi-Chess unless people get carded... however we can do regular chess... perhaps with glompage, in a public place. The room where they held the dance this year was unoccupied during the day, and *plenty* large for a huge chessboard. {With Staff Approval, we could maybe get ahold of one of the live-programming rooms... depending.}
- The size of the squares we need will vary depending on how pieces get captured. (2'x2' would be fine for normal capture, while 3'x3' would be more reasonable for glompage)
- We'd need a player for each piece, plus at least 5 alternates, in case someone doesn't want to, chickens out, can't make it, or gets tired of playing.
- We need something to denote which team people are on. (Perhaps armbands of black & white for pawns, and armbands and some prop for the bigger pieces, a sword for the knights, a drapery thingie for the bishops, Collars for the Rooks, and Crowns for the King and Queen.)
- We would need some sort of prize for the winner... perhaps a day with the piece of their choice? It would have to be something simple, PG, and fun.

Geez this is long. -__-;

- We could maybe convert Chess into Checkers later in the day, as people got tired, or we wanted things to move faster.
- Captured pieces should have something entertaining to do in the meantime, I'm not really sure what.
- To make things more interesting, perhaps challenge squares, where people have to 'battle', through a challenge, and the winner gets to stay, and the loser goes to the loser pit.

IF we set up a game of Yaoi-Chess, where, for legal reasons, we really *would* have to card people, we could run things a bit differently.

- Bishies would be on one team, unless we have enough players to make two teams of bishies; Fangirls/boys would be on the other. (Players would be decided by a raffle? Or something vaguely random..)
- Every time a piece got captured, they'd have to take of an article of clothing. ('course, we couldn't go past undies, but ohwell, we can't have everything)
- The winning player would get to chose any piece of their choice and make them take off an extra piece.
- To stir things up, and make things fun, the squares each have numbers, well, we'd have a spinner with the different letters and numbers on it, and if anyone was on that square when someone spun, they'd have to either a) complete a challenge, or b) remove more clothes.

dosukinuta4

How did we get from Cosplay Chess to Yaoi Bingo? Thats pretty weird. And y does it have to be Yaoi, y not hentai?

And I want to be a black bishop. Cuz black always wins, or i just like it.
Open mouth  X(), insert bacon ~~~, yum X)

ced1106

rotfl -- Cosplay checkers sounds hilarious. A king would be a cosplayer piggy-backing on top of another. Yes, if you're a small cosplayer and get to the back row, you can be the top checker piece.

For chess, I'd imagine simply facing towards the opponent's side would help. Each chess player should have an actual board with pieces. Even when wearing identifiers, I'd bet cosplayers look so different that you can't match the outfit well with the piece's rank.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

E-Chan

Because Yaoi is good, and good for you. (Despite the fact that it consumes your soul)  While hentai is just.... bleh. I durno... I'm not into the whole... schoolgirls getting molested by tentacles thing. (Whether or not that's ALL hentai, it's a large chunk of it.)

Well... hmm... I'd imagine that we could just have nametags that we stick on people's foreheads or something.

the_Pink_Panther24

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"How did we get from Cosplay Chess to Yaoi Bingo? Thats pretty weird. And y does it have to be Yaoi, y not hentai?

And I want to be a black bishop. Cuz black always wins, or i just like it.

bring it!  8)

and as far as the lebels are concerned, it might just come down to a sign/nametag issue. it seems like the easiest solution.

caelque

I soooooo wanna be a piece! Or a player...either way, more of a piece though. I'd crossplay and be queen but those are both taken...sooooooo White King with Soubi (Loveless) cosplay. ^^

E-Chan

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"How did we get from Cosplay Chess to Yaoi Bingo?  

Eh, because I said Bingo when I meant chess.  :oops:

Zagato

I'll take Black king, if not already taken (and if so, black knight...THE BLACK KNIGHT ALWAYS WINS)
And to support the maybe of my teams 'cosplay' I might be a ninja for the day...
Cosplay suggestions for '06? Dark waist-length hair...
Current cosplay thoughts-Black Hair Inuyasha, Black Gema Gema Gang Bishie

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Glitch"
Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"Glitch: You're awesome. =D
I'll take that as a yes,or really cruel sarcasm. :p

Hahah that’s a yes. Sarcasm does not suit me =D

E-Chan: =\ Ix-nay on the Yaoi Chess then. Me still underage. I don’t know what I was thinking earlier. =O
Glomp chess may be an out â€" fragile costumes and all. I do think we can at least try to get a hold of the dance room, if the scheduling is the same next year.
I think likkyan volunteered to make the signs for the pieces â€" no confirmation yet, though. But if you want to, just in case, that’d be totally cool. =3
The prize thingy is cool, too. Just have to be careful what people want to do (*flinch*) with their piece of choice. Maybe we can give imitation Pocky (I know where to buy it cheap) or a small cash prize. Or an “Otaku Lunch Spread” â€" Pocky, Ramune, a random sandwich, or some other foodstuffs.
And for the cosplay checkers, I have one word â€" LEAPFROG! For the captured pieces, maybe they can engage in a rousing game of paper-scissors-rock! Or something. Can’t have them just standing around the whole time.
Ced1106: Piggy-backing is a great idea. *laugh* Would be so entertaining to watch.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

ced1106

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"Glomp chess

Say! Remember Battle Chess? BC pretty much had "action scenes" when one piece took out another. The Queen was a sorceress, and the Rook became a rock monster. Anyway, instead of glomping, whenever a piece takes out another, the capturer and captured make an action pose and a pic is taken.

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"And for the cosplay checkers, I have one word â€" LEAPFROG!

Brilliant!

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

E-Chan

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"
E-Chan: =\ Ix-nay on the Yaoi Chess then. Me still underage. I don’t know what I was thinking earlier. =O

Or, I could run it in your honor, because... I'm 18. (it would be 17+, btw... just like Yaoi-bingo this year)

QuoteGlomp chess may be an out â€" fragile costumes and all. I do think we can at least try to get a hold of the dance room, if the scheduling is the same next year.
Well, we could allow glompage of the people who *aren't* fragile. Mine'll be safe.

QuoteThe prize thingy is cool, too. Just have to be careful what people want to do (*flinch*) with their piece of choice. Maybe we can give imitation Pocky (I know where to buy it cheap) or a small cash prize. Or an “Otaku Lunch Spread” â€" Pocky, Ramune, a random sandwich, or some other foodstuffs.
I can make Onigiri, though it tastes nasty if you don't make it fresh... soo.. maybe, depending on the food vendors next year, we have someone running it buy them lunch or something. - and as far as the 'day with a piece' thing... they'd ultimately have the right to say no, provided they had good cause. And we'd have some ground rules: -no taking them back to your room, they get to initiate anything beyond a hug... (which means you can't kiss them unless htey're okay with it) things like that.

QuoteAnd for the cosplay checkers, I have one word â€" LEAPFROG!
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Though some of the people that might wanna play could be scary. >.>

QuoteFor the captured pieces, maybe they can engage in a rousing game of paper-scissors-rock! Or something. Can’t have them just standing around the whole time.
Hmmm... maybe we could come up with something for them to do... *ponders* Twister, maybe?

Zagato

Back to notation-I'm probably going to study up on that sort of stuff, if you want I can look/ask some friends for a quick how-to guide and teach those in need of teaching for when this all comes around to happening...

E-Chan

Zagato: yeah, the notation's going to be important. Umm... I'll need to learn it to. Maybe we put the numbers on the squares?

Zagato

From a friend, 'Goturouge'

If anyone here plays chess to any lengths they'll know all about algebraic notation. Not in math, but chess. I'll explain in case some of you have no idea what I'm typing about.

All right, obviously that's a chess board. Notice the letters and numbers surrounding it--that's where the notation comes from. If white, for their first move, were to push the king pawn two squares, if would look something like this:

1.) e4

Black would then make his move. Let's say he decides to draw his knight to threaten that pawn.

1.) . . .  Nf6

(Note: The ellipsis shows that that move follows whites 1.) move.)

Do you kind of get how it works now? I'll explain further.

All the pieces, except the pawns, have a capital letter to represent themselves before the letter-number indicating where they have moved. I'll give an example indicating where white's pieces are (exempting pawns) before anything has been moved at all (their initial positions).

Rooks - Ra1, Rh1
Knights - Nb1, Ng1
Bishops - Bc1, Bf1
Queen - Qd1
King - Ke1

With pawns you don't need to put any capital letter before them, simply type the square you've moved them to.

When a piece is attacking another piece (please, please, please, understand what that means), a lower case 'x' is used. Nxd6, Qxf2, Bxa8, etc.

I'm assuming everyone understands how this works, regardless of how much it seems I'm rambling.

There's one more little bit I want to explain, then I'll get on to the real meaning of this post. Let's say have your knights on d4 and f4 and you want to indicate moving one of them to e6. Well, they can both move to e6, how do we knock which one is being moved? Simple, if you're moving the d4 knight the notation looks something like this:

Nd-e6 (or, if attacking, Ndxe6)

And if it were the f4 pawn it looks like this:

Nf-e6 (or, if attacking, Nfxe6)

It will work the same for pawns, but only if two pawns are able to attack the same square.

Understand? I hope I haven't over complicated this, or over looked how complicated it actually is. If there are any questions just let me know.

This should explain it, questions can be asked to me and I will answer as best I can.

ALSO, for anyone who cares-we can play chess via notation on the boards or through PM, which would both help in learning the notation and help in skill of Chess ;)

-Zaggy