Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

KindaRandomKris

Righto. Updated for VictimX and dosukinuta4's positions.

Psst: anyone wanna be moderator for me? I wanna be a piece X3
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

serajwl

Hmm.... If i sharpen my chess skills i might want to play on the actualy smaller board.... but i'll let you know about that X3

dosukinuta4

I suppose I could play if no one else would. But im not very good. I havent played in a couple years, but I can still try. Maybe we could have a practice session over the summer.
Open mouth  X(), insert bacon ~~~, yum X)

serajwl

fo shizzle, yo. That would be cool. I might have a little get-together with a bunch of people later this month... so maybe you can come then.

KindaRandomKris

By the time Fanime comes around, the thingy under my first post will say 'has been edited 3492385345098345034 times.'

Gehh.
-

dosukinuta4

Sure, if i can go. U still live 2 hours away from me. Thats a long drive. I would need proper persuasion for that. And starting this friday and continuing for 10 days, ill be in Hawaii. Yay! :D
I wanna go to Hawaii, YAY!! :D
Lots of time to sit in the hotel, and surf, and snorkel, and think about how to improve on our ideas of awsomeness for chess and for my costume.
And now im just rambling on, dont mind me. I do this a lot.

likkyan

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"
Quote from: "Sassi_the_SYFG"How about a chess tournament on Friday, and then the Cosplay Chess on Saturday?  That way you can have the top two players from the tournament be the ones to dictate the movements of the human pieces, making it a championship game.
There are a few problems with the tournament + championship games:
How will we find the space for a tournament? Are there enough people willing to actually play chess? Anime fans tend to come to conventions for the anime - and a lot don't know how to play chess.
I also will most likely be attending only Saturday and Sunday - It's not until 2007 that I'll be able to spend a whole four days at Fanime. Being a highschooler sucks.
The tournament idea sounds kind of cool... >.>;  If you live in the SJ area, could someone please confirm/correct this info for me?  I believe that Santana Row has a bunch of chess tables, with bags attached to each that hold the chess pieces.  They're outdoors, and free for public use.  They also have a large chessboard set into the ground, and some big pieces you can push around on it (but if I recall, some are broken/chipped/missing).  If there was a way to get people over there, that would be a neat place to have it... well, maybe not the cosplay part, since it's kind of a ritzy place, and people in cosplay might get glared at and insulted by the rich people x_x;  I /think/ it's in Santana Row, but it's been a while since I've been there, so if someone could fill me in on if it's still there or not, that'd be awesome.

I'm not much of a cosplay person, since I'm horribly lazy, but if I was, I'd love to be part of this.  As is, I hope you manage to get a full crew of people, 'cause I'd definately go watch, and I could videotape it and put it online (if someone would host the file/torrent) for those who participate.  :D  Good luck~

[edit] Oh yes, and if no one else is up for it, I'd be willing to make the signs for the players.  Something like the ones in that image ced1106 linked, maybe out of painted balsa wood?  I like artsy crafts.  This sounds like fun :3 [/edit]
"Only in Europe can you suck down a fag and be gay, but not homosexual."

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "likkyan"
Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"
Quote from: "Sassi_the_SYFG"How about a chess tournament on Friday, and then the Cosplay Chess on Saturday?  That way you can have the top two players from the tournament be the ones to dictate the movements of the human pieces, making it a championship game.
There are a few problems with the tournament + championship games:
How will we find the space for a tournament? Are there enough people willing to actually play chess? Anime fans tend to come to conventions for the anime - and a lot don't know how to play chess.
I also will most likely be attending only Saturday and Sunday - It's not until 2007 that I'll be able to spend a whole four days at Fanime. Being a highschooler sucks.
The tournament idea sounds kind of cool... >.>;  If you live in the SJ area, could someone please confirm/correct this info for me?  I believe that Santana Row has a bunch of chess tables, with bags attached to each that hold the chess pieces.  They're outdoors, and free for public use.  They also have a large chessboard set into the ground, and some big pieces you can push around on it (but if I recall, some are broken/chipped/missing).  If there was a way to get people over there, that would be a neat place to have it... well, maybe not the cosplay part, since it's kind of a ritzy place, and people in cosplay might get glared at and insulted by the rich people x_x;  I /think/ it's in Santana Row, but it's been a while since I've been there, so if someone could fill me in on if it's still there or not, that'd be awesome.

I'm not much of a cosplay person, since I'm horribly lazy, but if I was, I'd love to be part of this.  As is, I hope you manage to get a full crew of people, 'cause I'd definately go watch, and I could videotape it and put it online (if someone would host the file/torrent) for those who participate.  :D  Good luck~

[edit] Oh yes, and if no one else is up for it, I'd be willing to make the signs for the players.  Something like the ones in that image ced1106 linked, maybe out of painted balsa wood?  I like artsy crafts.  This sounds like fun :3 [/edit]

You could still play the actual game, if you wanna. It'd be awesome to get a videorecording - maybe I'll bring a camcorder or something, too.

And it would be so totally cool and awesome and other teenybopper phrases if you made the signs. I was just going to have picketsigns and stuff, but actual signs would be ... what was that 90's phrase.. 'da bomb'.

As for the outside gathering in Santana Row - that might be difficult. I can't go anywhere outside of school functions, so, eh... But if the other people want to, I don't see why not. I'd just need confirmation of winners and things like that.
-

ced1106

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"How will we find the space for a tournament? Are there enough people willing to actually play chess?

Hmm. This will be at Fanime, right? Contact [email protected] and pitch the idea. This year, we had plenty of space, and a chess tournament sounds fine. (Hey, if we can run two YGO tournaments...) My concern is that if you don't have two good similarly matched chess players, you're going to spend an hour setting up and another hour watching someone obviously lose.

Not familiar with chess tournaments and swiss format, but that won't keep me from posting a suggestion -- that may also encourage non-cosplaying chess players to participate:
* Swiss format: After each round, each player plays against another player who has won the same amount of games.
* After the tournament, each player receives their scorecard (ie. number of wins). The top two players are invited for the cosplay chess. If one or both decline, use the scorecards to pair off the two highest-scoring players, etc. etc.

Myself, I have two miniature chessboards I can bring. After the tournament, I can run SJG games of their chess games -- with prizes. Heck, I even have Tile Chess, a multiplayer chess game, so you can select the top two players after only one game...

EDIT: Found the rules in .pdf format. One game of Tile Chess should be a quick way to find two good chess players and could be pulled off the same day as the cosplay chess...
http://www.sjgames.com/tilechess/img/rules.pdf

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "ced1106"
Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"How will we find the space for a tournament? Are there enough people willing to actually play chess?

Hmm. This will be at Fanime, right? Contact [email protected] and pitch the idea. This year, we had plenty of space, and a chess tournament sounds fine. (Hey, if we can run two YGO tournaments...) My concern is that if you don't have two good similarly matched chess players, you're going to spend an hour setting up and another hour watching someone obviously lose.

Not familiar with chess tournaments and swiss format, but that won't keep me from posting a suggestion -- that may also encourage non-cosplaying chess players to participate:
* Swiss format: After each round, each player plays against another player who has won the same amount of games.
* After the tournament, each player receives their scorecard (ie. number of wins). The top two players are invited for the cosplay chess. If one or both decline, use the scorecards to pair off the two highest-scoring players, etc. etc.

Myself, I have two miniature chessboards I can bring. After the tournament, I can run SJG games of their chess games -- with prizes. Heck, I even have Tile Chess, a multiplayer chess game, so you can select the top two players after only one game...

Tile Chess Designer Notes:
http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=1181

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Oh my word. A tournament would be nice, but I don't think a lot of people would have the patience or skill to keep up. I know I wouldn't.  *sweatdrop*

But really. If we get enough people, I would be willing to arrange a tournament. If we only have 4 or 5 people who will actually be playing, though, I don't think it'd be worth the effort.

*scratches head* How did it go from one game to a tournament?  =O
-

Logik

I'd definitley like to take part in this game next year. I could both play a game and be a piece (not at the same time of course :P ). I might go as Kenshin again, but it's still a year away so I might do something different.
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

dosukinuta4

If we get the tournament on the roster for things that are happening at Fanime, and say that there is a prize for the winner, then Im sure well get ppl to come and play.
We just need to get on the list(watever its called).

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"If we get the tournament on the roster for things that are happening at Fanime, and say that there is a prize for the winner, then Im sure well get ppl to come and play.
We just need to get on the list(watever its called).

X3 Imagine if we put all the time and effort into arranging the tournament, and then no one showed up. I'd probably sit down and cry.

Nah, j/k. Hmm. How many people would be interested in a tournament? I have to go find out.
-

Zagato

I'm interested, in either the cosplay chess or the tabletop one...

-zaggy, chess freak. Current win/loss-24/13
Cosplay suggestions for '06? Dark waist-length hair...
Current cosplay thoughts-Black Hair Inuyasha, Black Gema Gema Gang Bishie

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Zagato"I'm interested, in either the cosplay chess or the tabletop one...

-zaggy, chess freak. Current win/loss-24/13

X3 Awesome! I'll just wait and see if enough people are interested in a tournament. Then I'll starrrt doing things for real.
-

Leishu

I'm willing to moderate, Kris, if it won't interfere with Der Cosplay. ^_^
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Inu_Ranma"I'm willing to moderate, Kris, if it won't interfere with Der Cosplay. ^_^

*happy dance!* Yes, thank you!

I was planning on having it on the non derCosplay day anyhow. Just a little something for the people when they're not running around for rehearsals and whatnot.
-

Glitch

QuoteA megaphone would be nice - though, I'd need someone to donate that.
I'll lend my megaphone,as long I get to be the one shouting the direction.Just have the players tell me who moves where and I will herald the instructions. ^^

Jyunishinsho

I also think it'll be cool if the "Kings" were people wearing jaguar masks...

The idea sounds good. This is planned for next year's Fanime, right?

Zagato

I'll ask this early, but does everyone know chess notation?
A-g, 1-8 (I think, not remembering well)
or will there be a teaching session beforehand? (this is for the cosplay chess, not the tabletop one)
Cosplay suggestions for '06? Dark waist-length hair...
Current cosplay thoughts-Black Hair Inuyasha, Black Gema Gema Gang Bishie